American Airlines Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

Updated September 9, 2017

Chicago, IL Area

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Long hours no breaks the beginning (in 53 reviews)

• Keeping a healthy work /life balance (in 22 reviews)

1. "aircraft mechanic"

Former Employee - Aircraft Mechanic in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Aircraft Mechanic in Chicago, IL

I worked at American Airlines full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

chance to work on different aircraft

Cons

working during bad weather and holidays

Advice to Management

remember to put yourself into my shoes

2. "Flt"

Current Employee - Fleet Service Clerk in Chicago, IL

I have been working at American Airlines part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Best airlines in the industry

Cons

Can't say nothing bad

Advice to Management

Nothing

3. "If your a people person this is the job for you!"

Current Employee - CSA in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - CSA in Chicago, IL

I have been working at American Airlines part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great travel and health benefits! Flexibility In trading days off and the ability to work independently and plenty of food options.

Cons

Working with people who hate their lives, job, etc,and do their absolute best to show it!
    Starting pay for this position is between $13-14 an hour. Probation is 6 months long.

Advice to Management

Get rid of AA's Talent services! They are completely incompetent, unprofessional and impossible to understand. By far the very worst part of the hiring process!

"Flight Attendant"

Current Employee - American Airlines Flight Attendant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - American Airlines Flight Attendant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at American Airlines full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits, health care and free travel , great Team workers. You go to work and you leave it all behind when your finished with your trip. You see places you have always dreamed about. You meet people from all over the world and experience their culture.

Cons

As a flight attendant you will most likely be on reserve. You will work weekends and holidays. On reserve you belong to the company as far as what trip they send you on. The first year you are on straight reserve then 1 on 1 off for 4 years. The first few years it's hard to make much money.

Advice to Management

Rewards and recognition is always appreciated.

"Clueless"

Current Employee - Customer Assistance Representative - CAR in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Assistance Representative - CAR in Chicago, IL

I have been working at American Airlines part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flight benefits and great health benefits even for part time employees. $11.05/hr.

Cons

Too many to list, but I will try. They are so disorganized that during the process I was starting to think this was a scam because I could not believe a company this large could continue to operate this way. During the interview/hiring process, several of us asked about scheduling and we were told repeatedly that the hiring and training departments did not handle the schedule and we would "deal with that later". We were also told that training would be 2.5 days so we all made arrangements based on that information. We did not receive final confirmation of training until Sunday afternoon letting us know that training would start the next day for a full week. I thought it might be a misunderstanding (based on the 2.5 days previously mentioned), and figured I would ask in person.
    First day of training, we find out it is actually 2 full weeks. The first week we were there anywhere from 2-4hrs a day, doing absolutely nothing while the "trainers" were in and out of the classroom. The O'hare "trainers" know absolutely nothing, not figuratively, they literally had no information about anything. Finally at the end of the week we start working on lessons online. At the end of week 1 we finally receive a bid sheet with numbered slots to fill out and they let us know shifts are all 5hrs a day, 5 days a week and granted based on seniority. Up to this point, none of us had any idea what the required hours or days were. This is when they explain that scheduling is not flexible at all, you are required to work whatever shift they award you. The CAR position is new to AA and therefore not fully staffed. This means, you will have to bid frequently (approx every 5 weeks) as they "play around" with the schedule to determine what works best for them. Every bid has had different start times, end times, lunch schedules and days off. It has been completely inconsistent.

Week 2, We have out of town trainers come in, they are awesome and share valuable information. Unfortunately, we only had them for a couple of days. Once they were gone, we were back at the mercy of the O'hare "trainers".

The lack of information does not stop there, once you are out on the floor you will find that nobody has an answer to any of your questions. It takes an act of God to receive your uniforms from the vendor. The vendor will blame AA and AA will blame the vendor. You will go back and forth until you give up all hope of having a uniform. Good luck getting an answer from the attendance department if you have an issue with the new system they just switched to. Also, once you work here, forget about making any plans or having a life because, even though you are part time (25hrs /week) you might not receive your bid until a few days before the new schedule starts. How hard is it to have a bid prepared at least a week in advance?

Advice to Management

Revamp the entire hiring process, restructure the training and improve the scheduling process.

"Great retirement job"

Current Employee - Fleet Service Clerk in Chicago, IL

I have been working at American Airlines part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great flight benefits and great people to work with. My only recommendation is that you don't get caught up in the airline drama. Yes, I do think it's time the company gives back the concessions that the employees gave up, but don't make it daily drama.

Cons

Honestly, they (AA) could give back some of the concessions that these hard working people gave up to keep that company afloat.

7. "Customer Service ORD"

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Chicago, IL

Pros

Co-workers and fast paced environment

Cons

Salary, poor customer service, commute in and out of airport/secuirty,

Advice to Management

Update your software.

8. "Good Benefits"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at American Airlines full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good Benefits, fair pay, good flight privileges, I liked it a lot. Especially the overtime pay and the sick leave and all the vacation time you can accumulate

Cons

Sometimes, it gets cold outside and sometime you have to work on holidays. Also, the more senior people get to choose the best shifs

Advice to Management

They do a good job in general. I like the way things are run, especially senior management has good vision. I really miss working there

"The experience overall is positive."

Current Employee - Fleet Service Clerk in Chicago, IL

I have been working at American Airlines part-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a part time employee the the pros are the workers are nice and helpful and the scheduling is quite flexible.

Cons

The cons are usually based on personal experience and for me the key is a real lack of upward mobility. The company posts jobs but only because they are legally required to. Applicants many times are not granted an interview.

Advice to Management

Live by your stated commitments to your employees at all levels of the company and that will go a long way toward boosting overall moral. 3 star's

"Manager Customer Care"

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Western Springs, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Western Springs, IL

I worked at American Airlines full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fast moving environment in an airport setting. Great benefits. Met a great group of people while working there.

Cons

Hours and days off can be undesirable even with favorable senority. Pay not really equal with other companies in middle management playing field.

Showing 97 of 1,922 reviews