American Airlines Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

1. "Good Benefits"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at American Airlines full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good Benefits, fair pay, good flight privileges, I liked it a lot. Especially the overtime pay and the sick leave and all the vacation time you can accumulate

Cons

Sometimes, it gets cold outside and sometime you have to work on holidays. Also, the more senior people get to choose the best shifs

Advice to Management

They do a good job in general. I like the way things are run, especially senior management has good vision. I really miss working there

"The experience overall is positive."

Current Employee - Fleet Service Clerk in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Fleet Service Clerk in Chicago, IL

I have been working at American Airlines part-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a part time employee the the pros are the workers are nice and helpful and the scheduling is quite flexible.

Cons

The cons are usually based on personal experience and for me the key is a real lack of upward mobility. The company posts jobs but only because they are legally required to. Applicants many times are not granted an interview.

Advice to Management

Live by your stated commitments to your employees at all levels of the company and that will go a long way toward boosting overall moral. 3 star's

"Manager Customer Care"

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Western Springs, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Western Springs, IL

I worked at American Airlines full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fast moving environment in an airport setting. Great benefits. Met a great group of people while working there.

Cons

Hours and days off can be undesirable even with favorable senority. Pay not really equal with other companies in middle management playing field.

5. "Great Career"

Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at American Airlines full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexibility, overall benefits are good compared to outside of industry. You can stay and make a career of it.

Cons

Industry has multiple ups and downs that mean you go great for a long time and then suddenly are thrust into a long cost containment and saving environment. Can dampen the career experience if you allow it.

Advice to Management

Look to be fair but don't go too far in the direction of being unfair or trying to be too fair as you may need to pull back at one point and it can make it more difficult.

"FAA Aircraft Maintenance Technician/Avionics Maintenance Technician"

Former Employee - Aircraft Maintenance Technician in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Aircraft Maintenance Technician in Chicago, IL

I worked at American Airlines (More than 10 years)

Pros

The equipment that American Airlines flies and works with is, generally, top-notch. It was a complete pleasure to work in that environment.

Cons

The company lost control of itself, certainly, on the aircraft maintenance operations side. It lost control to the the Transport Workers Union. It had no central company policy that was, strictly, adhered to, and maintained. I worked at Los Angeles, Ca., Chicago, Il, and New York City, NY. I, absolutely, did not observe the same maintenance management protocol in place. Chicago was the worst. I worked in the Avionics Maintenance Department at ORD airport. The bullying that was exercised and tolerated by local management was disgusting. I observed junior technicians brought to tears by senior technicians. It was, absolutely, deplorable. Local management seemed to be in total agreement with this type of behavior. The company allowed the union to proceed with this type of behavior in their ranks. It was, virtually, unbelievable. A HORRIBLY run company.

Advice to Management

Do NOT allow the labor unions to govern the company. Exercise a, strict, central company policy throughout the ENTIRE company. Senior management was NOT doing it's job of managing and overseeing middle and lower management.

"International Flight Attendant"

Current Employee - Customer Safety and Service in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Safety and Service in Chicago, IL

I have been working at American Airlines full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Love love love my job and fellow crew members I work with. I have lots of fond memories over these past 28 years with all my traveling. Very flexible with my schedule. I can work part time or over time when ever I want. Great travel benefits.

Cons

Hate hate hate Upper management who can't be trusted. They don't care for the average employee, only for the profits this company can make to line their pockets. They have made HUGE cuts to our pay and increased our work load only to make more money for themselves. You can not support a family on this pay. If you want to live single and rent an apartment (not own anything) all your life this job would suffice.

Advice to Management

Talk is cheap, show us you really care. A better contract and true earnings would help with the poor moral going around. Flight attendant's discouragement filters down to customer service!

"Flying is awesome"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

The flight benefits are amazing. If you work here one day, please use and abuse the flight benefits

Cons

The pay is not so good when you start off. You have to put in too much time to top out.

Advice to Management

It shouldn't take so many years to top out. The ramp works too hard for such little pay when they start off

9. "Aircraft maintenance technician (A&p)"

Current Employee - Aircraft Maintenance Technician in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Aircraft Maintenance Technician in Chicago, IL

I have been working at American Airlines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

OT is available, I fly standby home for free, training program is intense, but suits the career field

Cons

I will never get to work at the location closest to where my family lives. If my some miracle I did get to work in AZ someone would bump me and I'd have to leave

10. "CTO"

Former Employee - Chief Technology Officer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Chief Technology Officer in Chicago, IL

I worked at American Airlines part-time (More than a year)

Pros

not at airport, much more relaxed and many more friendly, repeat customers

Cons

little room for advancement; not much recognition if you do not have that magical XY chromosome combo (male)

Advice to Management

take a chance! Promote from within! Promote a woman even! You might be surprised at the results! Also, listen to your customers. Maybe do a novel thing like beat the competition by being T
    HE LEAST GREEDY FIRST (stop charging baggage fees! I guarantee (from the front lines) you will reap way more in increased ticket sales and thankful customers than you give up in crappy $25.00 bad karma bag fees!) Try it!

11. "crew chief"

Former Employee - Crew Chief in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Crew Chief in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at American Airlines full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good people, good atmosphere. Benifits.

Cons

Lots of regulations, no smoking area for employees.

Advice to Management

Stop pushing so hard treat everyone as a person not a number.

Showing 89 of 1,674 reviews