American Airlines Reviews | Glassdoor

Doug Parker

1,780 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Long hours no breaks the beginning (in 51 reviews)

• Keeping a healthy work /life balance (in 21 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"IT support to AA.com"

Current Employee - IT Support in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - IT Support in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at American Airlines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

AMAZING company! You will not meet a stranger once you walk through the doors. Everyone is there to help eachother. We ALL work for the same amazing airline and we are all going for Great!

Cons

When you turly love something such as your Job/Hobby/friend/family you won't have things to complain about because you will have already found a way to fix or advise it before you're given the opportunity to talk negatively. Leadership is strong within our company and I am so blessed to be apart of it!

Advice to Management

Keep doing all that you are all doing! American Airlines wouldn't be the same if one of you were not there!

"American Airlines is by far the best company I have ever worked for."

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Fort Worth, TX

Pros

Great company with many opportunities to advance your career. I graduated from college last year and came on in May. Everyone that I have met and/or work with has been super supportive in helping me learn the business. The industry has such a complex structure and the economics are a little crazy, but it is a great place to learn the ropes in the corporate world. Fortunately, I am working for a great boss who understands the importance of work-life balance. I always feel appreciated for putting in extra time and receive much thanks when going above and beyond.

Cons

Slightly lower than market average pay, however, flight benefits make up for it. Sometimes that corporate culture is a little solid and it's hard to get people to do things differently. A lot of people have worked for the company for decades, so they tend to be stuck in their own way of doing things. Working for a company that provides a service to consumers sometimes gets frustrating because you here a lot of negative comments by customers who usually never understand the big picture. We are certainly not out there to make miserable, so hearing complaints can get rather annoying.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and keep in mind that it does not take much to keep your employees happy.

3. "AA is working hard to meet the demands of todays airline industry!"

Current Employee - IT Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Dallas, TX

Pros

In this current challenging global airline environment, there are still ways to make an impact. There are so many good ideas and great folks working at American that it is really a very enjoyable place to work. Initiative is recognized and rewarded. The senior leadership is doing a good job pushing for cost reductions and performance improvements in every single area of the airlines operations.

Cons

Moral of many of the folks that have been around a while is not as high as those folks that joined in the past three years. There is some apathy that things will really never change but I have personally been involved in some changes for the better and I don't think that way.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

4. "Don't bite the hand that feeds you."

Current Employee - Analyst in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Analyst in Fort Worth, TX

Pros

Ability to travel and make a difference. To appreciate the fact I have a job in a dynamic industry and that the current slump is just that... a slump. Things will get better. Caliber of people I work with are simply the best. Our history and heritage truly reflects the greatness of this country.

Cons

Fuel costs are inhibiting financial growth. Level of negativity by employees. Old or inop equipment. Some services being outsourced has affected quality internally and externally. Disparity in pay scale.

Advice to Management

Don't lose touch with the employees.

5. "Work together to achieve, be respectful of the sacrifices and spread the wealth!"

Current Employee - Flight Attendant

Pros

Just a number, nothing personal just business

Cons

Not being respected and being taken advantage of by management for the hardwork done, and sacrifices made by workforce to keep Airline successful!

Advice to Management

Spread the wealth like promised, (reinstate contracts at a minimum) and you may be surprised how appreciative and willing work groups can be!

"Great Company, Great Heritage."

Current Employee - Pilot, First Officer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Pilot, First Officer in Dallas, TX

Pros

Great Company with a proud heritage. Working at American Airlines has been great.

Cons

The airline industry does not offer security. Airline Employess are under constant threat of downsizing and losing their jobs. Post 911 the airline industry has been a real depressing place to be. Constant threat of job loss, and pay reductions keep people in the industry always guessing and worried.

Advice to Management

Don't take bonuses when the rank and file are taking pay cuts.

7. "A REALLY NICE PLACE TO WORK"

Current Employee - Flight Attendant

Pros

Everyone is treated the same way. Mostly fairly. I've noticed that lately the entire staff is more polite, friendlier and seem to be happier, and those that weren't in the past - well I don't know where they are now because I haven't heard their voice over the phone lately. Interesting...

Cons

I'm not sure because I haven't seen the comparisons yet, but I hear-tell that we're the lowest paid Flight attendants.

Advice to Management

Pay American Eagle Flight Attendants more because we save lives - we're not just another FAA requirement to have on board the flight. We also are sincere in serving our Passengers and they LOVE us. American Eagle Flight Attendants make a difference not just for the company but for the Passengers as well.

8. "Excellent place to work"

Former Employee - Analyst in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Analyst in Fort Worth, TX

Pros

Variety of jobs available. Upward movement with appropriate compensation. Excellent benefits package.

Cons

Due to large company, raises are not individualized. You are not rewarded on an individual basis.

Advice to Management

Get your hand out of the company till - protect your employees and retirees

"Airport Agent"

Former Employee - Operational Coordinator in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Operational Coordinator in Dallas, TX

Pros

Flight benefits, obviously, with the ability to take your family on visits throughout the world. Flexible work schedules. Public contact. High energy. Opportunity to work in various locations. Benefits are above average and affordable. They train you.

Cons

Very seldom get weekends or holidays off. No tuition reimbursement. No pay for knowledge; only seniority. In general, the skills are not transferable. Very difficult to advance; on some positions, they'll pay more for an outsider than to hire within.

Advice to Management

Seniority is great but there should be some availability for agents to be able to get weekends and holidays off, such as 4-day, 10-hour workweeks, rotating shifts (days off), etc. I know some who've been there 25 years and still get Tue/Wed off. Also, some tuition reimbursement would be nice.

10. "I love it here"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Fort Worth, TX

Pros

Benefits, work-life balance, management, ability to make improvements

Cons

Pay, communication, work from home ability

Advice to Management

increase pay

Showing 1,780 of 1,837 reviews