American Ambulance Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.6
Robert "Boo" Heffner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Do you want to get paid to do nothing? Then American Ambulance is the place for you!"

I worked at American Ambulance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A company with less control over you than a dog without a leash, it’s quite possibly the easiest job you’ll ever have.
         Starting with your supervisors, they provide absolutely no supervision over you.
    Don’t worry if you don’t start your shift on time. There is a good chance it will go unnoticed. More so, if you don’t feel like starting your shift on time, you can always stall for time. Strike up a conversation with one of your managers and talk away. They only discipline the people who follow the rules anyway.
     Perfect situation those trying to take advantage of the system.
    Above your supervisors are your general managers. They might seem strict at first, but you can end up pulling the same games with them. It will all go by unnoticed. After all, they have over six hundred other employees to keep an eye on, and they very rarely interact with the employees.
         Now onto your pay. It’s not going to seem like much, and I’ll tell you honestly it’s not.
    When you end up slacking off at your job, it ends up being worth it. Let the other hard working employees pick up your slack. No one can tell the difference, and no one does anything about it!
     It’s fantastic for anyone who is comfortable with getting away with murder. Speaking of which, did you accidentally drop a patient? Are you afraid of losing your license?? Don’t worry about it. A small fine will come out of your pocket, perhaps a slap on the wrist. There are plenty of old geezers who’ve dropped, forgotten, and straight up abandoned a patient and they continue to be employed to this day!
    The trick, make sure you’re buddy buddy with your Supervisors. Being a medic will also help. The extent of what you can do as a medic is limitless. EMT’s, play on the side of caution. You won’t get as much favoritism and you might have a suspension, but after that all is well and you can continue your job just like before.
        Are you an employee who calls out a lot? American Ambulance understands.
    You can call out up to eleven times without any consequence! When you’ve hit your eleven, so long as you don’t call out for two weeks, your calls outs will start going down. Once they are down, you can repeat your process. There is no need trying to get coverage for your shifts either. Sounds too good to be true. It’s kind of a win lose situation. If you’re really not feeling it one day, you can call out the same day without getting coverage for your shift. Why? Because you get a callout point whether or not you got coverage. No need to stress yourself out more is all I’m saying. Oh, you want to know about how tardiness works? Well, I’ll share another little secret, if you come in late every once and a while and you happen to “forget to clock in” No one is going to know you came in late. Just make sure not to do that too often or someone might (and I do say this lightly) look into the situation.
        While all the trucks have trackers in them to find your location at all times, you can easily stall time before your next call if you so desire. So long as you’re not taking the ambulance for a joy ride! Perfect if you want to take a quick nap while your other coworkers run the rest of the calls for you.
     As I said before, no one looks into this stuff anyway, it’s fair game. Just don’t forget to call in your delays at the hospital when the hospital staff is taking too long! Dispatch will keep you on scene for over an hour while you wait for the patient to get ready. Another great loop in the system if you don’t feel like running another call.
         Speaking of dispatch, they are pretty terrible. They will try and give you as many calls as they can squeeze out of you so the company can make it’s millions. I’ll say this bluntly, they do not respect or treat you like a human being. Don’t worry about it though. If you’re good at whining until you get what you want, you can call your Supervisor on them. Eventually, dispatch will get so worn out of giving you calls, that they will leave you alone and double up the rest of everyone else’s calls. You’ll only get called when it’s absolutely necessary. See, I told you not to worry. There is a loop hole for everything. This place is the lazy man’s dream job.
         When you finally get tired of not taking your career seriously and you want to move onto an actual job, you can quit the same day you’re supposed to work. You read that right, there is no need to bother with a two week notice! In fact, if you put in your two weeks you’re more likely to be taken off the schedule without your knowledge. This means, you’ll show up for your shift that you’re scheduled to work and when you arrive, they will send you home. Telling you, you’re no longer on the schedule. So I repeat, do not attempt to do the right thing here. This company does not like it when you do your job. If you do happen to quit, the company is always, and I mean always hiring people. Their turn around rate is unreal. Over four hundred employees quit since Hurricane Irma. So if you change your mind and want your job back, you can quit, and come back in a few months and keep your seniority.
        I hope this advice helps all you lazy people out there! Best of luck to you all out there!

Cons

Every man for himself. If you're ok with that then this is the place

Advice to Management

You should probably enforce your rules

2. "Lots of work, little pay"

Former Employee - Emergency Medical Technician in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Emergency Medical Technician in Orlando, FL

I worked at American Ambulance (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, relaxed environment,

Cons

Some of the supervisors have toxic attitudes, high call volume, few trucks on the road, toxic mentality about taking calls

Advice to Management

First and foremost, it felt like the staffing was inappropriate for the call load. Coming in early in the morning, I would see 15-20 calls holding on the board. While a lot of these are prescheduled transports, it would seem like we didn't have enough trucks to make those calls. Also the fact that the mentality I encountered multiple times of "take the call or the pink slip" is incredibly inappropriate. I once had a situation where I was dispatched to a call that was WELL above my skill level at the time. When I called the on-duty supervisor that night, the response I received was "well I would have to send the Sanford truck and they get off in thirty minutes." If I would have taken that call and something went wrong, the patient could have died, and I would be responsible and it would negatively affect MY license and career. That is unacceptable, period. Also, stop taking the psych patients, or establish better protocols for restraint use. I was assaulted and battered multiple times by psych patients and it seems like proactive protocols could have prevented that. Also, some of the base level supervisors have an "us vs. them" mentality. When I brought an issue to the attention of the EAF, the supervisor had an incredibly hostile attitude towards everyone in our station for weeks afterward, then completely reverted back to the original state of the complaint. Honestly, I think better staffing and better protocols would be great. Don't use the EMS protocols of Orange County. Hire a medical director that will write interfacility specific protocols if that is what you want to conduct your business on.

3. "Bad management"

Current Employee - Paramedic in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Paramedic in Miami, FL

I have been working at American Ambulance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible scheduling and you can meet some nice people and make friends. Great stepping stone for real job bc of patience contact.

Cons

Favoritism. Supervisors are lazy. Dispatch is nasty. GM is a joke and out of touch. Revolving door. Pay is terrible. Only a few of the managers actually work and solve problems for you. Check out competitor with better pay. Benefits are to expensive . Disorganized, I'm surprised they are still in business. Most people are riding it out till you get picked up by fire or hospital.

Advice to Management

Thank your employees for working for such a terrible company and being loyal. Train your supervisors on how to speak to people , just so you know people are worried to speak up because they will get fired. Nmsu none talks about how terrible management is.

4. "Critical Care EMT"

Former Employee - Emergency Medical Technician in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Emergency Medical Technician in Miami, FL

I worked at American Ambulance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours
    Can manage to keep attending school
    Possible OT

Cons

No regards to you as employee
    No lunch breaks
    Late calls
    Dispatchers hassling and rushing patient care
    Inefficient

5. "Avoid this place at all costs"

Former Employee - Paramedic in Hallandale, FL
    Former Employee - Paramedic in Hallandale, FL

I worked at American Ambulance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You're on the road with another partner with little to no supervision.
    You can get some experience in the EMS field.
    Great co-workers.

Cons

No opportunities for advancement.
    Management and dispatchers will fully take advantage of you.
    Don't ever expect to go home on time. Your 12 hour shift is usually 14-15 hours. You're supposed to get out at 10pm? Here's a call at 11:00pm and if you don't run it, there's someone else waiting to take your position.
    Your "Supervisor" is powerless and just collects paper.
    No HR department.
    Incredibly below average benefits. They should be ashamed what they offer.
    This company's only concern is you picking up a patient and charging them as much as possible.
    Zero appreciation.

Advice to Management

Your employees aren't your personal servants. Treat them with respect. It's a shame this company is a revolving door from people being fed up.

6. "American Ambulance EMT"

I have been working at American Ambulance part-time (More than a year)

Pros

unlimited overtime, good experience for starting EMTs

Cons

Prepare to feel unappreciated and replaceable, low pay, constant late calls, treated like cattle

Advice to Management

maintain good communication with employees and attempt to fix relations with field units and dispatch. do not treat your employees as just another number and instead like a human being.

7. "Perform bls transportation for hospitals and private citizens"

Current Employee - EMT in Pembroke Park, FL
    Current Employee - EMT in Pembroke Park, FL

I have been working at American Ambulance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get Good experience, very flexible hours and opportunities for overtime. good co workers and room for growth within the company

Cons

When it's busy there's no guarantee that you will get off in time, so it's difficult to make plans after work. Pay could be better but it's within the regions avg.

Advice to Management

Develope a better system which allows the workers to get off on time.... They have lives too

"Earn money sleeping... maybe"

Former Employee - Paramedic in Hanford, CA
    Former Employee - Paramedic in Hanford, CA

I worked at American Ambulance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It is not difficult to get a job as long as you are properly trained and certified. The hiring process is streamlined. Consistent working environment.

Cons

The biggest downside to working at this company, or any other company in the area for that matter, is the pay. Some people get into the field and they think that they will be a life saver and make a ton of money. If you want to make money you need to go work as a fire medic in the Bay Area. You will only make about $50k a year working sixty hour weeks. One week of sick for every year, two weeks of paid vacation a year, healthcare, vision, dental, dependent care. This company is not going under any time soon.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees, don't just placate them. Comities are great if people actually listen. It is when they are created to make people feel like they are being heard that they loose their power.

9. "It was basically a stepping stone into getting in the medical field. I solely used this job to get experience."

Former Employee - EMT in Hallandale, FL
    Former Employee - EMT in Hallandale, FL

I worked at American Ambulance part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility- but not really anymore. The shift changes caused reduced hours on everyone
    Your on the road without direct supervision
    Once in a blue moon, you get down time
    You have the ability to take certification courses

Cons

Pay is horrible
    Management and supervisors do not care about their employees
    Improvements only last a week
    Trucks are always stopping on you
    Rules are only applied to some
    However, I remember my first week at the job, the only thing I could think of was how the company was so unprofessional. In my first work day at the company, I had no one to help me with anything. And the worst thing is that the whole time the manager was sitting right before me.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees concern. Get out of your offices and interact with your employees, be more hands on. Stop giving late calls, people have schools, families, and kids to attend to, no one wants to get home 1-3 hours after every shift. If you are implementing a rule, try to continue with it.

10. "Paramedic"

I worked at American Ambulance full-time

Pros

great benefits and retirement

Cons

pay scale was to low and after being there 12 years reached maximum pay scale and only got 1 raise a year