American Association for Clinical Chemistry Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"A great place to work and growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at American Association for Clinical Chemistry full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am a relatively new employee at AACC, and I cannot tell enough how happy I am to work in such a great organization where I feel much supported and empowered to make a difference. I am excited to go to work every day knowing I am contributing to a great mission.

The leadership at AACC is great. My experience with the senior leaders are very positive. I came to them with concerns and suggestions to improve the current ways we operate, and they took my feedback seriously and worked with me to implement changes. I am trusted by my supervisor to try new ideas and work on important projects which as a professional, I find it very fulfilling.

No need to say that the AACC benefits are great. Many days of leaves & flexible work schedule, generous 401K match. The health benefit is awesome (I paid double the amount for health care in my last job).

Cons

I acknowledge the concerns that other reviewers brought up that the organization is going through a transition process where new strategies and processes are implemented. So, it can be perceived as chaotic. if you are looking for an organization that have everything established to settle, you may find AACC is hectic at this time. However, if you are entrepreneurial, you will find it exciting. It has challenged me in a way to make me more effective.

AACC environment is a bit quiet, I personally feel. People are very nice and willing to help. They are just very focused.

Advice to Management

Management has done a great job!! It is not easy to transform an organization to embrace a new mission and vision. I give AACC management much credits for their effort. When I get to know her, I recognize the CEO is a strategic and pragmatic leader who is willing to do the right things even though it is her popularity at cost.

"Honest Former Staffer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Great Benefit Package for a non-profit.

Cons

Continue your job search, if you have a good employment history. As a former employee it is clear that senior management don't have a clue as to what AACC is about and the CEO is as clueless as her senior management staff. Focusing on the science seems to be obsolete.

Advice to Management

Listen to staff, take some educational classes and stay in your lane, if you don't about the subject stop trying to fake it.

3. "Governance in the end often make as many people unhappy as happy...Dan Rather"

Former Employee - Senior Staff in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Staff in Washington, DC

I worked at American Association for Clinical Chemistry full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Close to metro, building location near high end stores. The 403B Plan is a great benefit, medical, dental and vision

Cons

Lack of governance, direction and clarity from management about the future of AACC. High turnover rate. Senior management can be very callous towards staff. Staff that have worked at AACC for years are made to feel like their talents are no longer valuable. One Director in particular is extremely ruthless about criticizing other staff and pushing people out who do not bow down to her overly inflated ego.
    There are better non profit employers out there. Go where your talents are truly needed and where you will not be "used" and taken for granted, but feel appreciated. You will have to work and toil at AACC 10+ years to be considered for a promotion.

Advice to Management

Stop allowing your office bullies to rule the workplace. Use better recruitment strategies and hire people with great leadership capabilities. Hire real talent not sycophants or former colleagues of the CEO.

"Mostly Show, Diminishing Substance, Quality Lacking"

Former Employee - Education Manager in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Education Manager in Rockville, MD

I worked at American Association for Clinical Chemistry (More than 10 years)

Pros

Currently a financially stable organization.

Cons

High staff turnover; have been firing long-term employees with higher salaries and cutting back programs for members. No emphasis on quality management; many processes broken. Open work environment produces an uncomfortable atmosphere in which employees feel like they are constantly being watched. Leadership has little knowledge of the lab industry and takes no accountability for their actions.

Advice to Management

There is no point in giving advice to management - they have made it very clear to all employees that they don't want any.

"Seasoned Professional"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

I do not usually take the time to review my current employment. However, I came across the reviews for AACC and felt that I should provide viewers or potential employees a different prospective than what has been recently stated. I believe that a clearer picture of the organization needs to be communicated.

You have to realize that your immediate supervisor, the management staff, and your own personal and professional aspirations and beliefs all play into an individual’s work-related experience and will undoubtedly cause a different employment environment for every employee. From my vantage point, I would say working at AACC has been one of the best career experiences I have had so far. I have been gainfully employed for over 25 years, so this is not my first rodeo.

An organization’s viability, its commitment to excellence, and continued progression to adapt to this ever-changing world, regardless of its mission, are important characteristics that I use to measure the success of an organization when researching prospective employment. A company has to be able to thrive, remain relevant, and flourish in a world that is constantly evolving, or else continuous employment will not exist for its employees.

AACC’s CEO is relatively new to the organization, has invoked a lot of changes in terms of management and standards of operations, and as you know, change is not always the easiest thing for many of us to embrace. However, I, and many other current and former employees, believe that these changes were necessary, well overdo, and has catapulted this organization and its mission into being one of the leading knowledge-based associations in the field of laboratory science.

But, do not just take my word, or any of the other posted comments as the law. Do your own research. Apply for available positions at AACC and ask us, who are still employed with AACC, about life at AACC. Then, form your own opinions based on what matters to you and your career goals.

Cons

Could improve on creating true career paths for professionals.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"Absolutely Horrible Work Environment !!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

The benefits are good, particularly for those people who are allowed to work from home a couple days each week. Most of the people are great to work with, including the members. Location is OK.

Cons

The CEO is HORRIBLE!!!! It's too bad the membership hasn't done anything about her. Each day you walk into the office wondering who is going to get fired or laid off or who is just going to quit because they can't stand what's going on around there. What a shame. So much lost talent, while the CEO brings in her friends from her former place of employment, and you're left scratching your head wondering what the heck some of these people actually do for their high salaries and in their newly created positions.

Do yourself a favor and don't even bother applying for a position at this organization. It's not worth the stress. Find a position with an organization that actually cares about their employees.

Advice to Management

Why bother offering advice??? No one cares. No one stands up for the people under them, perhaps because they're afraid they'll lose their job if they do.

"AACC has a great staff and environment. Loved my internship."

Former Employee - Summer Intern Marketing & Communications Coordinator in Washington, DC

I worked at American Association for Clinical Chemistry full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly staff and bosses
    Finishing work that feels very meaningful
    Great place for those interested in health and medicine
    Pays well for an intern
    Working on projects that you are interested in

Cons

Tedious research projects
    Confusing jargon (but you get used to it and it's always nice to expand your vocabulary)
    Sometimes you want to do more for the team but it's hard to when they don't need you for some of the material that you have studied at school

Advice to Management

I think the upper management is great. They talk to you when they need to and if that's not the case, it's usually just being friendly and joking around. I helped out more than just one department but I think each department was great.

"AACC: Look Elsewhere"

Current Employee - Senior Editor in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Editor in Washington, DC

Pros

The benefits aren't bad. That's the only reason to work there--particularly one department with turnover that is beyond anything you could imagine, because of the very unpleasant manager. Also, be sure that the business of clinical laboratory news is something you are truly interested in. But nothing is worth having a vindictive, inscrutable, incompetent manager who makes you hate waking up in the morning. I very much regret taking the position, and the same is true of most people who have held the job.

Cons

Like having errors inserted in your writing? Like being talked to like a schoolchild? Or hearing racist terms? Being constantly second-guessed and blamed for things you didn't do? Then by all means, work for this particular department of AACC. There is huge turnover in this certain department, which produces a certain newsletter. We're talking exactly 15 people in two positions in 10 years (four just in 2008). Managers at AACC are treated like federal employees--to be kept on no matter the misbehavior. Other employees, however--both exempt and non-exempt--are treated as expendable. And HR always takes the side of the manager, no matter what evidence there is of mismanagement and unprofessionalism on her or his part.

Advice to Management

Remove managers whose turnover in their departments is unduly high, who have a history of making inappropriate comments, or whose publication shows a pattern of revenue loss.

"Great Work Environment"

I have been working at American Association for Clinical Chemistry full-time

Pros

CEO has an open-door policy where staff can talk, share ideas, and feel like a true part of the team.

Cons

Nothing to add. Life is good here.

Advice to Management

I enjoy working at AACC and feel like I am valued as part of a engaged professional team all working towards a common goal --qualities that are important to me. Keep up what you're doing. Thank you.

"AACC - A Place for Excellence"

I have been working at American Association for Clinical Chemistry full-time

Pros

AACC is full of hardworking staff who care deeply about science in general and laboratory medicine in particular. It is an environment where innovation and new ideas are valued, and where the goal from the top down is truly to help members bring better health to patients across the globe.

As other commenters have noted, AACC has seen change over the past few years. Change is vital for organizations to thrive and grow and AACC's management has worked to ensure that staff clearly understands organizational goals and how the goals relate to the overall mission of the association. Many staff have had the opportunity to grow professionally in this environment. Others have not been as eager to make the changes needed with organizational changes and this has resulted in a disconnect between what some think is their due and the current organizational ethos of excellence. In my experience, management is very open to hearing from all staff and helping staff to grow and achieve their own professional goals and those of the organization.

Excellent benefits and generous leave policy.

Cons

Any time of transition is difficult, but I think AACC is coming out of the other side of it now.