American Association for Clinical Chemistry Reviews | Glassdoor

1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great Work Environment"

I have been working at American Association for Clinical Chemistry full-time

Pros

CEO has an open-door policy where staff can talk, share ideas, and feel like a true part of the team.

Cons

Nothing to add. Life is good here.

Advice to Management

I enjoy working at AACC and feel like I am valued as part of a engaged professional team all working towards a common goal --qualities that are important to me. Keep up what you're doing. Thank you.

2. "Management"

I have been working at American Association for Clinical Chemistry full-time

Pros

Overall, a wonderful group of people and a pleasant working environment.

Cons

Not as collaborative as I hoped, however, I do see that over time this has improved.

Advice to Management

None at the moment.

"Proceed with Caution.. You Should Continue Your Search..."

I worked at American Association for Clinical Chemistry full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Location near Gallery Place Metro Station. Close to a variety of restaurants, bars and clubs. Medical, Vision and Dental benefits are above average.

Cons

Senior staff is very challenging to work with. Too many chiefs, Directors delegate and do very little work, and communication is poor amongst the staff. Human Resources takes a very passive stance in dealing with employee/employer issues. Extremely high turnover rate. A new round of employees have quit and found less stressful positions or they are quitting without having a new job.

Advice to Management

No advice to give because they do not listen. This is a poorly managed workplace environment. The CEO has saturated the organization with former colleagues. The office is run like a bureaucracy from the 50's. Continue your job search!

"AACC - A Place for Excellence"

I have been working at American Association for Clinical Chemistry full-time

Pros

AACC is full of hardworking staff who care deeply about science in general and laboratory medicine in particular. It is an environment where innovation and new ideas are valued, and where the goal from the top down is truly to help members bring better health to patients across the globe.

As other commenters have noted, AACC has seen change over the past few years. Change is vital for organizations to thrive and grow and AACC's management has worked to ensure that staff clearly understands organizational goals and how the goals relate to the overall mission of the association. Many staff have had the opportunity to grow professionally in this environment. Others have not been as eager to make the changes needed with organizational changes and this has resulted in a disconnect between what some think is their due and the current organizational ethos of excellence. In my experience, management is very open to hearing from all staff and helping staff to grow and achieve their own professional goals and those of the organization.

Excellent benefits and generous leave policy.

Cons

Any time of transition is difficult, but I think AACC is coming out of the other side of it now.

"A great place to work and growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at American Association for Clinical Chemistry full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am a relatively new employee at AACC, and I cannot tell enough how happy I am to work in such a great organization where I feel much supported and empowered to make a difference. I am excited to go to work every day knowing I am contributing to a great mission.

The leadership at AACC is great. My experience with the senior leaders are very positive. I came to them with concerns and suggestions to improve the current ways we operate, and they took my feedback seriously and worked with me to implement changes. I am trusted by my supervisor to try new ideas and work on important projects which as a professional, I find it very fulfilling.

No need to say that the AACC benefits are great. Many days of leaves & flexible work schedule, generous 401K match. The health benefit is awesome (I paid double the amount for health care in my last job).

Cons

I acknowledge the concerns that other reviewers brought up that the organization is going through a transition process where new strategies and processes are implemented. So, it can be perceived as chaotic. if you are looking for an organization that have everything established to settle, you may find AACC is hectic at this time. However, if you are entrepreneurial, you will find it exciting. It has challenged me in a way to make me more effective.

AACC environment is a bit quiet, I personally feel. People are very nice and willing to help. They are just very focused.

Advice to Management

Management has done a great job!! It is not easy to transform an organization to embrace a new mission and vision. I give AACC management much credits for their effort. When I get to know her, I recognize the CEO is a strategic and pragmatic leader who is willing to do the right things even though it is her popularity at cost.

"New Employee - Outstanding Experience"

I have been working at American Association for Clinical Chemistry full-time

Pros

Polite, supportive, dedicated, & engaging colleagues; Professional work environment; Interest on behalf of executives to provide mentoring and encouragement to pursue professional development; Opportunity to travel.

Cons

None noted at this time.

Advice to Management

None at this time.

"Purposeful Employment in an Outcomes-Oriented Environment"

I have been working at American Association for Clinical Chemistry full-time

Pros

AACC is a dynamic, thriving organization undergoing exciting and challenging growth. It is a terrific place to work for those seeking purpose and impact from their work and opportunities for professional growth and advancement (which are two different things).

Regarding the negative reviews from former long-time employees, it is important to consider that long-term employees fall into three categories – those who left on their own or were asked to leave, those who remained until planned retirement, and those who still remain.

Glassdoor is a great place for disgruntled former employees to air their grievances anonymously and with no obligation to justify or defend their comments. It is likely cathartic to write such a review, and it is tantalizing for readers to speculate and get caught up in the drama of it all.

More details of the pros:

Purpose: AACC’s vision and mission reflect a commitment to global improvement in the modern healthcare environment. The organization’s goals engender passion in those who derive satisfaction from feeling a sense of larger purpose in their work.

Impact: AACC members are professionals in a critical field of healthcare. Laboratory medicine is integral to healthcare worldwide, and its practitioners have the potential to contribute even more significantly to the ongoing transformation from “sick care” to “health care.” Contrary to the statements of a few reviewers, this scientific healthcare organization maintains a strong commitment to science. In fact, AACC has integrated into its strategic plan and new governance structure a systemic focus on science and innovation. AACC members are dedicated to their craft, to the organization, and to advancing knowledge and technology. AACC staff are committed to serving the members and the organization, helping to elevate the field.

Opportunity: There is an emphasis on professional growth, with a sufficient budget for staff education and training. Internal promotions are common; the most recent performance review cycle resulted in the promotion of seven staff members. However, promotions must be earned on the basis of merit and growth. They are not doled out simply due to longevity. Opportunity is ample for those with a desire to grow and adapt, for whom continued improvement is a priority. Anyone with an expectation of advancement based on time in the job will be disappointed.

Environment: AACC provides a supportive, professional environment with a concurrent demand for excellence. The CEO does not accept mediocre performance just because it might be the status quo, but she does provide constructive feedback and time for improvement. The atmosphere is goal-driven and outcome-oriented, and there is a sense of teamwork and accomplishment in executing the strategic vision of the leadership.

Benefits: AACC provides a generous benefits package, including less-tangible benefits such as a flexible work schedule.

Cons

As acknowledged by several people, AACC is going through a time of change. Change often engenders or reveals differences of opinion and philosophy, which can result in conflicts over how the organization should function. This is currently the case at AACC, where philosophical inconsistencies exist among staff and members alike. With time and an increased acceptance of positive change, consensus will be reached and conflict will be minimized.

Advice to Management

Try to approach the reviews here, both positive and negative, in a spirit of critical self-reflection. If you see a grain of truth in the comments, reflect on that truth and strive to improve. If they are obvious hatchet-jobs by individuals with a grudge, assume instead a grain of salt and keep working to make AACC a place of excellence in service to the members, to the field, and to health. Do the same with current employees – listen to their concerns critically and use their comments to improve. The organization’s mission is too important to allow human foibles to interfere.

"Great place to work"

I have been working at American Association for Clinical Chemistry full-time

Pros

Organization is moving forward and growing. Dedicated members and results driven environment. CEO is a supportive, experienced leader who knows what works and what doesn't. She promotes from within and offers opportunities for talented staff. Do not pay attention to vocal minority who have left and don't have a clue about how associations work.

Cons

Change happens, but slowly.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Ignore "sour grapes" comments. These are people who could not adapt to change and didn't meet expectations of an organization that needed to change.

"Honest Former Staffer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Great Benefit Package for a non-profit.

Cons

Continue your job search, if you have a good employment history. As a former employee it is clear that senior management don't have a clue as to what AACC is about and the CEO is as clueless as her senior management staff. Focusing on the science seems to be obsolete.

Advice to Management

Listen to staff, take some educational classes and stay in your lane, if you don't about the subject stop trying to fake it.

"Culling staff"

I worked at American Association for Clinical Chemistry full-time

Pros

Great membership - a joy to work with

Cons

Current association leadership is shedding long-time employees