American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators Reviews | Glassdoor

American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators Reviews

3.2
Anne Ferro

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Good choice to work at AAMVA"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked for AAMVA for over 4 years. Organization is very good to work for, very accommodating and offers flexibility with work schedule and work from home options. Company has good benefits for the market these days. AAMVA’s leadership team maintains good communication with regular “all hands” meetings. Overall, a good experience at AAMVA.

Cons

Not much to mention here. Company is filled with good, talented people.

Advice to Management

More communication about where the organization is going. Solid organization, but not sure of the long term goals of the organization.

2. "Bad Choice. Do not go here, save time and energy."

I worked at American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I cannot think of anything. Probably the location.

Cons

Miserable work condition. Sr. management is of no good. Specially the BA and QA work stream is horrible, no leadership.

Advice to Management

Try to get employee feedback

"Senior Business Analyst"

Current Employee - Virginia in Hyattsville, MD
    Current Employee - Virginia in Hyattsville, MD

I have been working at American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good salary and benefits, nice location near to Ralston metro

Cons

too much work pressure, need to handle multiple projects, work on weekends

Advice to Management

need to focus more on employees career development, provide trainings and certifications

"Great flexible work enviornment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Pros

I have been with AAMVA for two years, and coming here was a great decision and career move. On a daily basis my work is challenging, fun, and I am provided any tools needed to be successful in my job.

Our work space is open, modern, organized, and clean. That coupled with a flexible work schedule, and casual dress code, makes it even easier for me to go to work every day. I work in a team that is cohesive, respects each other’s work, and cultural diversity. My managers not only reinforce that daily in my group, but throughout the company.

AAMVA has superior employee benefits that include generous leave programs, commuting subsidies, wellness programs, FSA's, and 401K programs.

Cons

None for me. Most of my career was spent with firms that did not really value providing a good work life balance. AAMVA is the complete opposite of that.

Advice to Management

Continue to build and drive a culture of teamwork and excellence throughout the organization.

"AAMVA"

Former Employee - Senior Technical Support in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Support in Arlington, VA

Pros

AAMVA is a great place to work, very friendly environment and you will have access to new technology, and some of the best developers that I have seen in a long time. The Development Management is very Technical and really understand High availability systems and is always trying to use the latest Technology.
    This is a 24/7 environment with multiple projects going on at the same time, there is a lot of communication from the leadership and HR.
    HR is very organized and they are always available if you need anything.

Cons

No cons for me, I have worked for several companies and do not find anything wrong. The only thing that made me change jobs was the commute to Arlington. I will definitely would like to work at AAMVA again in the near future.

Advice to Management

Just keep the good work!

6. "Not a good place to work"

I worked at American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators full-time

Pros

Company's work is for a good cause. HR people helpful, CEO seems nice.

Cons

Worst IT management team I have seen. Too much attrition and lack of leadership. Managers bad day can be a hell for you. Micro management, want to know everything you are doing including being cc'ed on all the messages.

Advice to Management

Need management cleanup

7. "New Leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Pros

The organization really cares about their employees and has a wonderful work environment. Flexible hours and great benefits.

Cons

None. The organization has been through lots of changes in the past year and they are all for the better.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

8. "Senior executives watch out for themselves--everyone else will be thrown under the bus to make execs look good."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Pros

Non-management staff are self-motivated, talented and committed to the mission. Office location is great. Employees consistently do the right thing in spite of the consistent lack of competent senior executive leadership.

Cons

Continuous lack of leadership by example at the executive level. Do as I say, not as I do management. CEO is oblivious to the significant issues created by his divisive executive team. Information and data is "spun" to fit their agenda and then fed to BoD and Federal/State customers. This climate is well understood by all employees and has driven off many good people who couldn't stand to watch it happen. Overpriced external consultants abound, executive 360 degree feedback surveys conducted but results never shared with employees, fear that anonymous corporate climate surveys weren't really anonymous so people stopped participating or only marked every question as neutral or good out of fear of retaliation.

Advice to Management

None that the executive team would listen to but the Board had better wake-up to what's going on before they end up with major issues that can't be hidden. (Many already exist under the rug.)

9. "Association's mission is admirable but leadership by bullying the worst ever experienced."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Pros

The operational people are dedicated to the worthy mission of the Association. They are inspirational, creative and caring.

Cons

Headquarters Managers: Constantly hiring and firing of Finance staff; Inappriate Senior- Subordiante relationships; Publicly disiciplining staff; Berating other Senior Managers

Advice to Management

The Board should take a look at the Cons listed above and provide training to its Senior Management.