American Association of State Colleges & Universities Reviews | Glassdoor

Muriel A. Howard

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Fine"

I worked at American Association of State Colleges & Universities full-time

Pros

Flexible hours, open to ideas, thoughtful and friendly colleagues

Cons

Very hierarchical. Too political.

2. "Great institutional members delivering value higher education"

I worked at American Association of State Colleges & Universities full-time

Pros

Excellent mission, great institutions. Excellent advocacy and professional development efforts on behalf of member institutions.

Cons

Hierarchical management may not always serve institutional member needs. Institutions have important layers of administration in need of member benefits.
    Focus on landing contract funding and changing for the sake of change could inhibit genuine success.
    Every change is labeled a success, without regard to methodology, reality, common sense, or evidence.

Advice to Management

Remember that the institutions hire staff and staff serve all institutions, even those not on the Board or major committees whose members are in training to the Board.
    Most staff genuinely want to contribute in a significant way. Look at functions, deliverables and not at personalities.

3. "Communications Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Renfrew, PA
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Renfrew, PA

I worked at American Association of State Colleges & Universities as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I loved working with such bright people. I got great experience with technology, and received a lot of guidance about my future plans. I was given projects to work on independently, which really increased my confidence professionally. I would highly recommend interning at AASCU. Also, I feel very welcomed to email or even text/call a few of my former coworkers at AASCU. They genuinely want me to succeed!

Cons

Adapting to the D.C. hustle and bustle was a bit rough, but my supervisor(s) at AASCU were more than understanding. I was not used to sitting at a desk for an entire day, but am positive I'd get used to it.

Advice to Management

My main advice would be to give everyone equal credit. A few of my former coworkers did amazing work, and could have been recognized a bit more. Very nice and charismatic people, though!

4. "Good work/life balance, incompetent management"

Pros

Benefits are above average. Good retirement matching, PTO offers, and healthcare. Office location is superb. Work/life balance is easy to attain, with flexible working hours and very rare requests for overtime. They don't even run the air conditioning on the weekends for the whole building.

Cons

To describe management as 'incapable' is not enough. They are mostly clueless, and know it, so in a futile effort to maintain any type of authority in the workplace, they rely on imposing frivolous work rules that do nothing except alienate and dissillusion staff. There is little room for professional growth, and many people who have worked here for years will never move beyond their dead end positions.

5. "Good hours, nice offices, varied by department"

I worked at American Association of State Colleges & Universities full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Extensive hours not expected. Offices convenient and nice. Some energetic, creative staff was added. President moving toward more skilled and experienced hires.

Cons

General culture resisted change even though management spoke about change. The Servicemembers Opportunity College (SOC) effort run almost as distinct entity.

6. "A dysfunctional higher education non-profit with a disconnected group of management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

The 37.5 work week is nice when you actually work it. The insurance coverage for singles and 403(b) contribution are almost unprecedented, even among higher paying firms. There are a lot of genuinely nice people who work in this place.

Cons

AASCU features senior leadership that is, at best, utterly disconnected from the work they oversee, and at worst engender a toxic and overly politicized environment that pushes their talented employees out the organization. This place mistakes organizational tenure for actual skill.

The pay is awful, although the HR department does like to talk up the benefits. Their administration, finance, human resources, and technology processes date from another century. Those functions exist to serve the organization's mission, yet those employees have a way of making you feel like they're doing you a favor simply by doing their jobs. There's almost no strategic leadership when it comes to technology or business processes, and no indication that there's a willingness to consider new ideas.

AASCU preaches the gospel of work/life balance, but you are expected to do whatever it takes to get the job done. You're also instructed to fill out 7.5 hours of time on your timecards no matter how long you work, and overages are addressed by periodic "off the books" grants of comp time.

Advice to Management

Most of the upper management of AASCU is approaching (or has exceeded) retirement age, and in most cases I don't see a middle tier of employees who are ready to step up and lead the charge. Senior management needs to put a stop to the nasty partisan bickering between the admin division and everyone else, and they also need to take a hard look at which of the executive and upper management tolerates or facilitates this bad behavior.

"Unprofessional management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at American Association of State Colleges & Universities full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some very nice employees in ASSCU.

Cons

Health room needs to be monitored for misconduct.

Advice to Management

Allow people to do their jobs and pay attention to the people who are not working.

"A good-old boys (girls) club..."

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Washington, DC

I have been working at American Association of State Colleges & Universities full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The hours are good. Employees work a 37.5 hour work week. The health benefits are good as well.

Cons

The management of AASCU is completely disconnected from its government contract subsidiary, Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges (SOC). The senior management of SOC has been in place for 20+ years, which is reflected in the business model and organizational practices. Many organizations are slow to change, but embrace a certain amount in order to keep them relevant. This organization repels change! Don't expect to work here and be a part of anything progressive or cutting edge. The overall environment, speaking in terms of employee morale, is exceptionally low, mostly in part to the stagnant business practices and lack of progressive nature of the management. If you are lazy, and just want to collect a paycheck, this is the place for you. If you are progressive and want to feel that you are making a difference with your job, find another place to work!

Advice to Management

Open your eyes and recognize how many capable employees have left the organization in the past couple of years. Staff turnover is at an all-time high, and it will continue to get worse. If you no longer care about the organization, do us all a favor and leave. There are still a few capable people here who see potential in the vision and mission of the organization, and have the leadership skills to realize that vision.

"Metro accessible. Outgoing and creative personalities need not apply."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

This place is great for people who are ready for retirement. They will match for retirement.
    If you're a single person your insurance is paid for, but if you have a family it's very pricey.

Cons

Salary is low unless you are the chosen one. It's a small association with high turnover. The work is boring and repetitious, a lot of down time where you have to pretend you have work. Management on the 6th floor bullies the staff and they're not open to change. If you are below the age of 55 don't work for this association! Work on 6th floor is contract funded and run by women who are vicious! Poor morale, high turnover, low pay poor advancement opportunities, and low pay.

Advice to Management

My advice to management RETIRE! Let the newer employees express their creativity especially in technology. Most of you are at retirement age, and some of you are your 70's, been there for 25-30 years, it's time to let go. Also stop hiring your incompetent friends from the book club. Offer more tuition assistant. President of the company needs to be more aware and visible on the upper floor.

10. "SOC is separate from AASCU"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

I enjoyed working downtown near the metro.

Cons

SOC is managed by a different group of people than AASCU. The rules are quite rigid and unnecessarily petty for a professional organization. The upper management includes older women who are more concerned with employees talking than building a pleasant work environment. The work itself is not interesting or challenging so the least they could do is try to create an atmosphere where adults are not treated like children.

Advice to Management

Attend some team building conferences or have a consultant come in to witness the miserable circumstance you have placed employees in and be open to change.