American Auto Shield Reviews

Updated Jun 24, 2020

4.0
American Auto Shield President & Owner Ted L. Terry (no image)
Ted L. Terry
  1. "YAY"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lakewood, CO

I have been working at American Auto Shield full-time for less than a year

Pros

quick interviewing, offer and on boarding process

Cons

Work at home is challenging in the best of scenarios, training to work from home is even harder

2. "Poor environment and mediocre training system"

2.0
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at American Auto Shield full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great hourly pay. Currently working from home due to ongoing situations, with brand-new equipment provided by the company

Cons

Weak training system, particularly for those that have not worked in call centers before. A week of classroom training, then a 'nesting' period, may not be enough education for someone. Plus, being work from home, there are no modules you can practice anything in, no knowledge base, nothing of the sort. With an insufficient training curriculum, being work from home can leave you feeling ignored and helpless. Asking a question and not getting an answer in a timely manner, or not at all, will intensify this. The Customer Service position does not empower you to help customers, outside of building claims and answering basic questions. You're saying a lot of 'no, sorry, you have to wait for A and B, that's just how it is'. Or 'no, sorry, that's just how it is'. Which infuriates a lot of customers. You may find that a pro, though, depending on your work style. No employee appreciation events. No employee appreciation. Being WFH may have a lot to do with this, but we have the power of technology. I'm sure you could do something with Zoom or Microsoft Teams. Customers and shop associates ask you questions about material you may know little or nothing about. If you come into this without a zest for car insurance or auto shops, you will be at a disadvantage. Very little resources, outside of slides. May not work for call center newbies or those that depend on knowledge bases.

Continue reading
  3. "It's a job with little to recommend it"

2.0

I worked at American Auto Shield full-time for more than a year

Pros

Casual atmosphere, Good work-home balance, Friendly coworkers

Cons

PTO is a joke; there seems to be no real plan moving forward--it's slapdash and hasty; severely underpaid for my field.

March 11, 2020Talent Management Specialist

You're right on. Our PTO plan kinda sucked. We just added over 5 days to first year employees which gives all new hires just over 13 days of PTO. Health insurance gets a little trickier but in actuality the employer shouldered the bulk of the increase. All in all, we continue to make our employee's experience one of our top priorities.

4. "These reviews are fake"

1.0
    Former Employee - Claims

I worked at American Auto Shield full-time for more than a year

Pros

The CEO is great but he surrounds himself with incompetent and lazy senior management

Cons

I was astounded by the lack of accountability by sr management. I’ve never worked with such a lazy, entitled and incompetent team.

March 9, 2020Talent Management Specialist

Your opinion matters to us. We would love to hear from you directly on feedback or anything you would like to share with us. Please give me a call to discuss. My direct line is 720-510-7815.

5. "HIgh call volumes low moral"

Former Employee - Technical Claims Adjuster in Lakewood, CO

I worked at American Auto Shield full-time for less than a year

Pros

Management is very nice. Working times are nice

Cons

Lack of guidance for new employees

March 9, 2020Talent Management Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. We acknowledge that our new employee training needed work. The company has since invested in bringing on a new Director of Learning and Development along with 2 full time trainers to improve our training program. We're working hard to make sure all of our employees are being set up to succeed.

"Great Company to work for"

Former Employee - DealrMaaer

I worked at American Auto Shield full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Professional work enviroment very professional

Cons

Growing very fast in industry

March 11, 2020Talent Management Specialist

Awesome! We spent a lot of time, resources and investment to live up to being a great place to work. We still have room to improve but we're proud of how far we've come!

"Great place to work, exciting opportunities"

4.0

I have been working at American Auto Shield full-time

Pros

Management is experienced and maintains a high level of staff interaction. Opinions are welcomed and affect the decisions of the company. I have many years of experience in my occupation, but only a year with American Auto Shield. I have a great manager who always accepts my input and together we work for the best solution to the problem. American Auto Shield respects an individual's work/home life balance and time flexibility for personal issues. There are many company events and celebrations which demonstrate their appreciation for each employee. The company has probably doubled in staff since I was hired last year.

Cons

Nothing major or systemic. Issues are dealt fairly by human resources. The benefits structure needs to be reviewed, in particular the amount of PTO time given includes personal time and sick time and is not adequate in my opinion. Other concern is the privacy of work due to small cubicle sizes.

8. "Fantastic Opportunity"

I have been working at American Auto Shield full-time for less than a year

Pros

Entrepreneurial flavor with an inclusive and supportive culture. The company rewards commitment and hard work and strives to cultivate the best.

Cons

Tremendous growth in 2018, by nature causes some strain.

March 11, 2020Talent Management Specialist

Thank you. We're lucky to have so many employees who value and support the mission of the company.

"Great place"

Current Employee - Data Scientist in Golden, CO

I have been working at American Auto Shield full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Chances for upward growth within the company. Good culture. Growing rapidly.

Cons

Training for lower level could be improved

10. "Great Company with Great Opportunities"

I have been working at American Auto Shield full-time

Pros

I have worked with AAS for 11 years now, they are a fantastic company to work with. They take such good care of their employees. American Auto Shield is a fast growing company so every day is a learning experience. Everyone is here to help you do better within the company even if that means one on one training classes to group training glasses. American Auto Shield gives anyone the opportunity to move up in the company. Best company all the way around!!!!

Cons

fast growing company means there are some crazy, busy some times stressful days. Which can also be a pro, fast busy days will make your day fly by.

Found 19 reviews