American Auto Shield Reviews

Updated Apr 26, 2021

3.7
American Auto Shield President & Owner Ted L. Terry (no image)
Ted L. Terry
  1. 5.0
    Featured Review

Lots of Opportunity

Dec 30, 2020 - Instructional Designer in Denver, CO
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great team, opportunities for advancement

Cons

Difficult to be all remote

Talent Management Specialist

Thank you for the feedback. We're glad you on the team! We understand its difficult being remote and we're continuously exploring new ways to engage everyone while we are working remote.

2. 5.0

12/10

Mar 30, 2021 - Claims Adjuster in Miami, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very Oriented around clear communication and owning responsibilities I thoroughly enjoy being remote able to accomplish my duties, and how effortless communication is to one another. definitely feels more efficient than a brick and morter workplace

Cons

cant think of one at this point in time

Talent Management Specialist

Thank you for the feedback. We've been working hard to create a virtual culture of the company and your comment validates the work we've been doing. If you have any additional feedback please feel free to reach out to any member of the Leadership team.

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Vibrant growing company!

Mar 18, 2021 - Confidential in Lakewood, CO
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've been with the company for almost two years and during that time it's been an environment of change. It's been interesting to watch the company double in size and how they've really focused on employee development. The new employee training was completely overhauled and is some of the best training I've seen in my career. They implemented a quarterly bonus program and all employees are eligible to participate. But mostly, I feel like I can have a career here. They promote from within a lot.

Cons

Sometimes the customers can be harsh. It doesn't seem like we are ever fully staffed although they seem to be hiring like crazy. Finally, there is no community now that we are all remote. It can be difficult to build relationships with other employees outside of your immediate team.

3 people found this review helpful

Talent Management Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. You're right, we've completely overhauled the training program and we're glad that you appreciate all of the changes we've made. We're working to improve the sense of community in our virtual environment, some examples include reengaging our Engagement Committee, rolling out a new Well being committee and holding our first wellness challenge.

4. 4.0

Not bad

Apr 26, 2021 - Claims Adjuster in Tampa, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits/PTO are strong. They send equipment and provide training. work from home. I took a smaller wage than I wanted. Haven't stayed long enough to see what the increases are

Cons

work from home. I tried it but it's not for me.

Talent Management Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. You're right, this job isn't for everyone. We appreciate you giving our position a try. We wish you the best of luck on your future endeavors.

5. 2.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Feels like my first call center job

Jan 22, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Business Outlook

Pros

Relaxed to a fault. Not much else.

Cons

One word... micromanagement. When all of the employees don't give a damn and those of us who do actually have to ask permission to do our job now as a result, it's time to look elsewhere. Young company making some huge mistakes. You're 20 years in guys. This is ridiculous.

Talent Management Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. As you are aware our company had grown over 90% in the last year and we're experiencing growing pains. We would encourage you to share your experience and your ideas with your Team Lead to improve in the areas outlined in your comments. We will be rolling out ways to provide feedback in the near future and would encourage you to utilize those tools.

6. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Run!

Dec 21, 2020 - Mechanical Claims Adjuster
    Business Outlook

Pros

The pay was ok for what it was

Cons

The work load is horrendous, no direction, no guidance, really fly by night company

Talent Management Specialist

Thank you for the feedback. We'll pass this along to our Service Leaders. We're sorry you didn't feel that American Auto Shield was not the right fit for you. We wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

7. 2.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Poor environment and mediocre training system

Jun 24, 2020 - Customer Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great hourly pay. Currently working from home due to ongoing situations, with brand-new equipment provided by the company

Cons

Weak training system, particularly for those that have not worked in call centers before. A week of classroom training, then a 'nesting' period, may not be enough education for someone. Plus, being work from home, there are no modules you can practice anything in, no knowledge base, nothing of the sort. With an insufficient training curriculum, being work from home can leave you feeling ignored and helpless. Asking a question and not getting an answer in a timely manner, or not at all, will intensify this. The Customer Service position does not empower you to help customers, outside of building claims and answering basic questions. You're saying a lot of 'no, sorry, you have to wait for A and B, that's just how it is'. Or 'no, sorry, that's just how it is'. Which infuriates a lot of customers. You may find that a pro, though, depending on your work style. No employee appreciation events. No employee appreciation. Being WFH may have a lot to do with this, but we have the power of technology. I'm sure you could do something with Zoom or Microsoft Teams. Customers and shop associates ask you questions about material you may know little or nothing about. If you come into this without a zest for car insurance or auto shops, you will be at a disadvantage. Very little resources, outside of slides. May not work for call center newbies or those that depend on knowledge bases.

Talent Management Specialist

Thank you for your feedback but we''re going to have to agree to disagree on your characterization of our new employee training and onboarding program. With seven dedicated trainers we offer dedicated support and instruction for all new employees. Further, we've also incorporated a nesting program to ensure all Reps hit the floor feeling competent and capable of doing their job effectively. As your review states you are a current employee we would encourage you to reach out directly to our Director of Learning and Development, Kara Ness, to discuss your feedback.

8. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

It's a job with little to recommend it

Feb 17, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Casual atmosphere, Good work-home balance, Friendly coworkers

Cons

PTO is a joke; there seems to be no real plan moving forward--it's slapdash and hasty; severely underpaid for my field.

Talent Management Specialist

You're right on. Our PTO plan kinda sucked. We just added over 5 days to first year employees which gives all new hires just over 13 days of PTO. Health insurance gets a little trickier but in actuality the employer shouldered the bulk of the increase. All in all, we continue to make our employee's experience one of our top priorities.

9. 2.0
    Current Employee

Decent Pay

Sep 28, 2020 - Customer Service Representative
    Business Outlook

Pros

The pay is good and there is opportunity for overtime if you want it.

Cons

The work is very stressful work.

Talent Management Specialist

Thank you for the feedback. We are in the process of forming a well being committee in 2021 to help reduce the amount of stress on our employees. If you would like to be part of the Well Being Committee, please keep an eye for information which will be sent out shortly. Thank you for sharing your opinion of our pay. We do conduct an annual compensation review to ensure that we are competitive in the marketplace.

10. 5.0

YAY

Jun 22, 2020 - Customer Service Representative in Lakewood, CO
    Business Outlook

Pros

quick interviewing, offer and on boarding process

Cons

Work at home is challenging in the best of scenarios, training to work from home is even harder

Talent Management Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. We would encourage you to reach out to our Learning and Development Team to give them feedback on your training experience. If there is any support that People Services can provide you, please feel free to reach out to us and we will be glad to support you. We're also starting up an Engagement Committee. If you would be interested in being on that committee or learning more please send an email to recruiting@americanautoshield.com.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 25 Reviews