American Axle & Manufacturing Reviews | Glassdoor

American Axle & Manufacturing CEO David C. Dauch
David C. Dauch

"Financial Analyst"

I have been working at American Axle & Manufacturing

Pros

I have no Pros about this company.

Cons

Old school ways in doing things

American Axle & Manufacturing2019-01-14

"Very hard place to work / your viewed as just a number that is replacable."

Current Employee - IT Support

I have been working at American Axle & Manufacturing full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

overtime pay, not much else they offer benefits but will make you pay as much as possible to off set the cost to the company.

Cons

poor insurance, lack of guidance from management, they nickel and dime you on all your benefits, easier to hire temp employees from other countries then keep long term employees.

Advice to Management

stop being so stingy with every dollar, yes the share holders are more important than the employees but at least try to help your fellow associates out a bit.

American Axle & Manufacturing2019-01-30

"IT"

I have been working at American Axle & Manufacturing full-time

Pros

A lot of opportunity to learn and participate in multiple IT disciplines.

Cons

There's a lot of room for improvement. Most people working in IT are contractors or consultants, when they leave their knowledge is lost. There is little to no documentation. All tribal knowledge. Projects are mostly run with the cart before the horse. Personal life balance isn't valued. The meetings are very often and often unproductive. An overwhelming amount of projects happens at the same time which... conflict with each other causing rework, confusion and loss of direction. There is a lot of fear of people losing their jobs.

Advice to Management

Focus on getting a solid IT foundation in place. Networking, Administration, documentation, processes, etc. Hire employees which will retain the knowledge to run the business.

American Axle & Manufacturing2019-01-03

"Would NEVER recommend working here even to my worst enemy"

Current Employee - Production

Pros

Other production members and very few management are great people to work with.

Cons

This company is a joke. No room for growth unless you’re part of an inner circle. Many open positions that we are forced to cover in long overtime hours as they continue to lay people off. People that have worked here for 20yrs+ are leaving to go to better jobs. As a whole management has no clue what they are doing. The rare event that we do get someone new to train usually ends up with them leaving within weeks... because training is a literal train wreck. Wages are NOT competitive. We might as well not have health insurance through this company because out of pocket costs are ridiculous and the insurance covers basically nothing. They make up rules as they go to suit the need at the time. The junk we send out (per engineering approval) to customers should have this place shut right down. More worried about saving some pennies before putting their customers first. Just overall save yourself and your family the stress this is not a good place to work.

Advice to Management

Sell the company to someone that not only puts their customers first but cares about their employees also!

American Axle & Manufacturing2019-01-22
  5. "Bad company culture"

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Detroit, MI

I worked at American Axle & Manufacturing full-time for more than a year

Pros

pretty challenge for the job

Cons

Very bad management for my team. My manager bullied me daily and finally I got laid off. As you can image that they prefer layoff on January just because they don't want to pay you penny for any compensation and annual bonus after my full year service there. my paycheck just account for my last day there. What they really toast for lay off person due to unacceptable of ''mediocre". Indeed, you can hard to image... you can become expert within a year, my manager is a very bad guy. Horrible person ruin company reputation.

Advice to Management

Really need to think about promotion for a good well personality's employee instead of promote base upon his year of service with bad personality.

American Axle & Manufacturing2019-01-21

"Stressful work environment with a lack of business focus."

Current Employee - Senior Product Engineer in Detroit, MI

Pros

Investment into computer equipment, tools, training, and other engineering resources to aide in productivity.

Cons

Disruptive work environment with crowded desk arrangements. Too much focus on meetings and reports without enough focus on the work required to succeed and perform.

Advice to Management

Management has a lack of focus when targeting new business. Too much concern on marketing and stock price. Not enough emphasis on product quality and new technology.

American Axle & Manufacturing2018-12-21
  7. "customer service"

I worked at American Axle & Manufacturing full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits. Great co-workers. Customers were very nice.

Cons

Management seems to expect the impossible with little to no training.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees.

American Axle & Manufacturing2018-11-28
  8. "Solid Company with Good Employee Communication"

Current Employee - Finance Coordinator in Detroit, MI

I have been working at American Axle & Manufacturing full-time for less than a year

Pros

Smaller company in terms of "big companies" go. You can make difference to the bottom line.

Cons

Tier 1's will always have fewer benefits than OEMs. While they appear to be ahead of the game in cost reductions, the vacation and insurance benefits are lacking.

American Axle & Manufacturing2018-11-18
  9. "Company sucks"

Former Employee - Plant Superintendent in Detroit, MI

I worked at American Axle & Manufacturing full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The pay was pretty good

Cons

Don't care about their employees

Advice to Management

Training

American Axle & Manufacturing2018-12-10
  10. "Intern"

I worked at American Axle & Manufacturing

Pros

Good company. Management is excellent

Cons

Not much, maybe have interns live near each other

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

American Axle & Manufacturing2018-11-01