American Axle & Manufacturing "long hours" Reviews | Glassdoor

American Axle & Manufacturing CEO David C. Dauch
David C. Dauch
  1. "AMT"

I have been working at American Axle & Manufacturing

Pros

Co-workers were amazing. Great group of people to be with 50+ hours a week.

Cons

Long hours, crappy management, low pay.

American Axle & Manufacturing2015-10-26
  2. "Manufacturing Engineer Co-op"

Manufacturing Engineer Co-Op in Vicksburg, MI

I worked at American Axle & Manufacturing for more than a year

Pros

Adequate pay Flexible hours Opportunities for training and advancement

Cons

-Long hours: Engineering work week is normally 50 hours. At AAM engineers worked most Saturdays and two Sundays a month -Constant change in hierarchy. In the year I was at AAM I had 5 different supervisors. This made it extremely difficult to continue projects and receive further assignments. Most of the time I was left looking for projects that needed completion. This wasn't all bad however a lot of the time I... would bring it up to a previous boss and get asked why I was pursuing this issue. Only to get reassigned and have to work on something else.

Advice to Management

Work on employee retention.

American Axle & Manufacturing2015-08-05

"Senior Analyst"

Senior Financial Analyst in Detroit, MI

I worked at American Axle & Manufacturing

Pros

Good pay and benefits, lots of perks

Cons

Long hours, inflexible to change, lots of bureaucracy

American Axle & Manufacturing2015-07-16
  4. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at American Axle & Manufacturing full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great place to work! Management does work to help and advance employees but sometimes the union gets in the way of that. Union also tends to allow members to get away with more than they should.

Cons

Can tend to work long hours and will most likely work off shifts when you get started but that is no different than most companies that run 24 hours.

American Axle & Manufacturing2015-04-09

"Not so "American" Axle"

Senior Product Engineer in Minerva, OH

I worked at American Axle & Manufacturing

Pros

American company, but American Axle is becoming less and less American everyday. The work is challenging, the environment is good, but it is not for a family-oriented person. American axle does invest in their employees as far as training, certifications, and schooling.

Cons

Long hours expected and often not compensated. Management often cuts salary and hourly workforce, and those left behind are expected to pick up all the work. This is not conducive to keeping your best employees. The best employees eventually figure out this trick and also figure out that there are better companies out there.

Advice to Management

Weather the storm. I did enjoy my time at AAM, but treat your people better. I understand times are tough, but your salaries are lagging behind.

American Axle & Manufacturing2008-11-25

"Great place to work, but you have to work hard!"

Product Engineer in Detroit, MI

I have been working at American Axle & Manufacturing

Pros

Excellent 401k, decent medical/dental, somewhat competitive salary, tuition reimbursement. Training/continued education is encouraged. Hands-on engineering is encouraged.

Cons

Long hours are sometimes encouraged, if not expected. During tough economic times like these in the US, engineers are asked to take on more work and work longer hours. The free fitness center just closed.

Advice to Management

There should be more focus from HR and Senior Management on retaining their best engineers. Don't let their salaries fall behind what other companies are offering. More importantly, don't let their salaries fall behind what you are offering new hires with the same or less experience. It is hard to find good driveline engineers and even harder to train those without driveline experience. Please maintain the... current 401k matching. It is our only hope of affording retirement and health care.

American Axle & Manufacturing2008-10-06

"Alright place to work, as long as long hours can be tolerated."

I have been working at American Axle & Manufacturing

Pros

Still is a place where manufacturing exists in America. Pay is alright. Treatment of employees can be good as long as you are in a good group. Some managers are good to work for.

Cons

Long hours. People that move up in company seem to all have connections so moving up in many department seems limited to a select few. Not willing to spend money on many improvements such as software for many groups.

Advice to Management

Less negative reinforcement. Follow leadership class examples. Work on using less bad language in all meetings. Review employees better and talk more with their direct managers to fully understand their potential.

American Axle & Manufacturing2012-03-10