American Baptist Homes of the West Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Organization"

Former Employee - Service Coordinator in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Service Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I worked at American Baptist Homes of the West part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Resident centered services. great mission.

Cons

Can't think of any at this time

Advice to Management

Advocate for professional development

2. "Run Don't Work for ABHOW"

Former Employee - Director of Resident Services and Snf Programs in Redlands, CA

I worked at American Baptist Homes of the West full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with seniors is rewarding, this is a senior community.

Cons

Management is only concerned with making money, they pretend to care for seniors/make millions of promises that they don't follow through with. Management are like a gang, they do not respect employees/never give recognition.

Advice to Management

What goes around comes around, when you do people wrong it will come back to you in some way or form. Stop treating your loyal employees like trash, and rewarding others that could care less about seniors and the organization.

Feb 27, 2017 – VP Team Member Relations & Talent Management

The Director of Resident Services has been in place for years and informed us about this review and that she did not write this review, she is still employed and doing well. At times an employer... More

3. "Positive Experience"

Current Employee - Sales and Marketing Assistant in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Sales and Marketing Assistant in Oakland, CA

I have been working at American Baptist Homes of the West full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Piedmont Gardens is a joy to work for. Coworkers and residents leave you feeling better when you clock out than when you clock in. There are always things to keep you busy so the day goes by quickly. I can't speak for other departments, but the pay is nominal for what the position entails.

Cons

There is a lot to do in terms of getting the place up to speed with the latest technology. However, this was one of the reasons they hired me. The average age of employees is probably 40s, so it has been interesting teaching coworkers how to use newer software. On the other hand, I have been learning the deeper intricacies of older programs like Excel and Word.

Advice to Management

I would focus on resolution over anything else, since the positive experience is more important to quality of life than anything else. A recently remodeled building may be attractive to potential new residents and employees, then the opposite of true once you're past the honeymoon. It seems like management has already been heading this advice, but this may serve as a reminder.

"I love my job! The hiring process was smooth and easy..."

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Pleasanton, CA

Pros

The people here are awesome, everyone pitches in to help, no back stabbing. All very adult, kind people. I have to pinch myself every day wondering how I got so lucky to land the perfect job. I finally feel like I'm working for a place that makes an important difference to our older adults.

Cons

I have no bad things to say about my job, honest

Advice to Management

Management is the best I've worked with, and I'm n spring chicken! They don't overload you with work, yet I'm busy busy busy, which is exactly what everyone wants, who wants to sit at a desk pretending to be busy for 8 hours.

Nov 29, 2016 – VP Team Member Relations & Talent Management

Thank you for your feedback!

5. "Hopeful"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Piedmont, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Piedmont, CA

I have been working at American Baptist Homes of the West full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get to meet a lot of new people. Both residents and co-workers

Cons

People are not held accountable for the wrongs that they do.

Advice to Management

Listen to the advice and complaints of hard working workers.

Oct 7, 2015 – VP Team Member Relations

Thank you for your feedback, it will be passed to the community as well.

"Great company culture that values employees"

Current Employee - Team Member in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Team Member in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at American Baptist Homes of the West full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great work environment where you make a difference in people’s lives every day. Daily huddles provide opportunity to learn and grow together as a team, share your experience’s, learn from each other and have face time with your manager. There are so many great programs to recognize team members and be to recognized. I truly feel valued by ABHOW!

Cons

24/7, we're never closed! Holidays and weekeneds are part of the job.

Oct 7, 2015 – VP Team Member Relations

Thank you for your service to the valued residents of the Terraces of Phoenix.

7. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at American Baptist Homes of the West full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Leadership cares about residents and team members. Directors are very professional and interested in the growth of team members. ABHOW Advantage helps to ensure continuity of service across campus.

Cons

Benefits are okay, but not great. Also, while assisting residents to age in place is a privilege, it can sometimes be a burden simply due to the nature of aging.

Oct 7, 2015 – VP Team Member Relations

Watching someone age can be a challenging part of working with seniors. ABHOW focuses on successful aging and we are thankful for your service to that program and to the valued residents of the... More

"On the management team"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

Consensus based, great mission, dedicated employees, fair pay practices. They have this culture thing called the ABHOW ADVANTAGE to make sure all 2000 employees understand the principles and values that the company wants to embrace. Culture change is hard, but they are making progress.

Cons

Non-profit pay is typically a little less than market. Not the greatest with regards to problem employee management. Tend to believe in redemption and forgiveness. Not great at program and project management, but OK.

Advice to Management

Better grooming program for individuals that become supervisors.

Apr 13, 2015 – VP Team Member Relations

Thank you for the positive feedback. ABHOW offers competitive pay and extraordinary benefits to include a 401(k) that doesn’t require a vesting period. ABHOW also offers 1000's of training courses... More

9. "No Degrees needed in Management level jobs"

Current Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at American Baptist Homes of the West full-time (More than a year)

Pros

if there are any; I haven't been lucky enough to see them yet. (Okay the residents are always a blessing)

Cons

No time for breaks or lunch due to the large work load. Also All work orders and paperwork has been left by pervious Manager.(which is absurd) The amount of paperwork is crazy. I'm expected to complete my current tasks plus the ones left from previous 5 years. How can a company let an employee waste so much time and then keep them for so long?

Advice to Management

Treat people with respect: I am not your child (or) a Family member. Be-littling a co-worker and talking down to someone is not the way to handle an mistakes. People do make mistakes and management should make them aware of the mistakes. But in a professional manner.

Apr 13, 2015 – VP Team Member Relations

Thank you for your feedback, it is unfortunate to hear that you are not satisfied with your management/coworkers. If team members feel that they are being treated with disrespect we encourage them to... More

"If you want to be harassed and yelled at by your supervisor daily....this is the place t work!!"

Former Employee - Health Care Management in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Health Care Management in San Francisco, CA

I worked at American Baptist Homes of the West full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They take in and care for elderly people.

Cons

No appreciation for employees under administrator. Only the administrator gets the bonuses and recognition. Too much micromanaging and not enough competent/experienced executives hired. If you don't have experience in health care BUT you are of the right nationality and know someone in a high position.... you will get the job and get PAID!!!

Advice to Management

Go back to your roots and reflect and really apply your mission statement to your everyday work environment