- Arts & Design
- Customer Services & Support
- Finance & Accounting
- Human Resources
- Information Technology
- Media & Communications
- Military & Protective Services
- Product & Project Management
- Research & Science
- Retail & Food Services
- Skilled Labor & Manufacturing
- Current Employees
Found 410 of over 540 reviews
- COVID-19 Related
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
- Most Recent
- Oldest First
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
- "There is also a disconnect between HR and local management." (in 32 reviews)
- "Salaries are low in general compared to other companies in the industry (especially offshore oil & gas)." (in 22 reviews)
- "Some employees will spend intentionally time developing goals and self reviews, some managers do not take it as seriously." (in 13 reviews)
- "Low pay compared to others in the marine/energy sector." (in 10 reviews)
- "Management also manipulates employee time cards in order to please upper management." (in 8 reviews)
Ratings by Disability
This rating reflects the overall rating of American Bureau of Shipping (ABS) and is not affected by filters.
- Current Employee, more than 8 years★★★★★May 24, 2022 - Board Certified Behavior Analyst (BCBA) in Nashville, TNRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
Really great to work at
Really busy all the timeContinue reading
- Former Employee, more than 10 years★★★★★Jan 24, 2023 - Principal SurveyorRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
Good variety of work topics and clients Generally, goodwill from clients Good teamwork at Port Level. Decent compensation.
High workload. Inefficient data management and software systems ( reporting). Managment unable to deliver on promises of operational efficiencies. Each client had a different fee schedule and billing arrangement. Left to technicians to deal with. Different prices for mandatory statutory certifications for different clients... Extreme pressure on port management to produce revenue. " Not for Profit"Continue reading
- Current Employee★★★★★Jan 5, 2023 - EngineerRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
Good environment with welcoming co-workers.
Pay is not the greatest.
- Former Employee, more than 5 years★★★★★Jan 11, 2023 - Marine Surveyor II in Jersey City, NJRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
Company provided laptop, mobile phone and vehicle
Little to no upward movement, no bonuses unless you are at corporate. Claim to want you to have a work life balance but if you are overloaded they still expect you to give up more of your life to get the work done.
- Current Employee★★★★★Dec 25, 2022 - Anonymous EmployeeRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
Good company. Safe bet. Job satisfaction
Low pay. Stressful. No career advancement
- Current Employee, more than 10 years★★★★★Jun 26, 2022 - Survey in Houston, TXRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
The people are generally fantastic. There is a commitment at the rank and file level to the mission and everyone tries to help each other as much as possible. Generally flexible in terms of working arrangements.
Management has grown further and further detached from both the reality of the businesses, the expectations they have placed on their employees, and how they are perceived. They have increased their isolation instead of reducing it. This in turn has undermined the work-life balance and put even more onus on key individuals.Continue reading
- Former Employee★★★★★Aug 25, 2022 - Technical SupportRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
F Meet and work with other people. Fun at times.
If you someone high ranking doesn't like you or you not friends or friendly with "high and mighty" or the cool kid club you will not have advancement opportunities. You work the hardest they will always find something to pick on you about. Constantly changing work process and accuse you of everything you do is wrong. Even after changes have been made someone will find a reason to complain on you. Ugly attitudes.Continue reading
- Former Employee, more than 1 year★★★★★Oct 12, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in Spring, TXRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
The technology department had great projects which were technically challenging, and had some really smart people. Fair pay and benefits.
Training consists of “read the manual and figure it out”. Management emphasizes financials, not the quality of work or customer satisfaction. Little to no work-life balance consideration by management.
- Former Employee, more than 8 years★★★★★Aug 24, 2022 - Senior SurveyorRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
- A lot of good people to work with - Mostly predictable job schedule - Good benefits - Supports advanced learning through tuition reimbursement and free internal/external training - Overtime available - Good amount of process instructions and guidelines to do your job
- Career advancement almost impossible if you're not part of a cool kid group or work 80-100 hours a week - Very minimal diversity as you go up the ladder - low salary and salary increments (2-3%) if you're lucky - A new hire with much less experience will make more money than a current employee. If you get an internal transfer for a better position, they will not give you a good increment - Performance Evaluation is not fully - Draconian management who will stop at nothing to get rid of you, if they don't like you (even if you're an old timer, good at work and is liked by all the clients) - Has employees and managers who are openly racist/sexist/anti-lgtbq and will not face repurcurssions - HR will not help you at all (never go to them if you have a problem at work) - They will team up with clients to do inquiry against you and will not give you an opportunity to explain yourself. (luckily for me, clients were always on my side) - They have poor market and revenue projection skills, which leads to poor revenue. Their recent investments in the past decade (towards newer markets and technologies) has largely been underperforming, which is alarming. They, therefore, maintain profit margin by cracking down on revenue generating departments (by laying off people, bullying employees to put more hours with no monetary benefits, low salary growth etc.). All this while, they will be double downing on their terrible investment philosophy to justify their actions. Basically they are delaying the I'll effects until the current management leaves.Continue reading
- Current Employee, more than 3 years★★★★★May 13, 2022 - Human Resources Business Partner in Houston, TXRecommendCEO ApprovalBusiness Outlook
ABS is a great company with an amazing mission and values. People love to share the same spirit of ABS, contributing to a better world. The team is great, people are willing to help. The office in Spring is amazing, motivating the collaborative work.
ABS still have some intrinsic culture stuck in the past, but things are changing lately.Continue reading
American Bureau of Shipping (ABS) Reviews FAQs
American Bureau of Shipping (ABS) has an overall rating of 3.8 out of 5, based on over 540 reviews left anonymously by employees. 71% of employees would recommend working at American Bureau of Shipping (ABS) to a friend and 64% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.
71% of American Bureau of Shipping (ABS) employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated American Bureau of Shipping (ABS) 3.4 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.6 for culture and values and 3.5 for career opportunities.