American Cancer Society Reviews in Austin, TX | Glassdoor

2.8
Gary Reedy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is non existent (in 104 reviews)

• No work life balance, training process isn't helpful and most is unnecessary, lots of hours for little pay (in 39 reviews)

"Ok, not great"

Former Employee - PRS in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - PRS in Austin, TX

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of PTO which is nice

Cons

No organization
    No real authority
    Don't stand behind what they say

Advice to Management

Get on the same page

"Creepsville. Don't stop looking over your shoulder!"

Former Employee - Cancer Resource Specialist in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Cancer Resource Specialist in Austin, TX

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The American Cancer Society is chartered to relieve pain and suffering from cancer...and most of its staff and volunteers are dedicated to the mission.

Cons

Big Pharma meets Big Brother...it seems they're collecting a scary amount of information from both constituent/patients and employees. Unfortunately, ACS leadership has teamed up with some high-profile tech companies, and allows those companies to access nonprofit facilities and human resources for software testing. During my training at the National Cancer Information Center, my coworkers and I were subjected to some very questionable expectations and monitored without disclosure or permission.

Advice to Management

Understand the importance of disclosure, both to your employees AND your patients.

If you're going to webcam and record employees while they're training, a heads-up is appreciated. If you encourage home access of organizational resources because you've enabled remote monitoring of personal devices, let your new hires KNOW.

If "job training" is actually nothing but software testing (WITH a job as a carrot on a stick if one makes it through), disclose that to new hires...don't refer to an eight-week UX testing exercise as "Wellness Corner". If employees decide the observation and testing is a bit too much, allow them to opt out of the "exercise", but continue with employment. Don't continue to monitor computer and phone activity of employees who decide to leave. My family has experienced undue anxiety and costly device replacements because of the "cloud control" ACS continues to assert on our home router and electronics. (Yes, guys, admit it.) We are thoroughly disgusted.

I returned to ACS, to the same job, after a 17-year break. I have always been a hard-working and devoted employee, and wholeheartedly stood behind the mission. After a few weeks of very odd on-the-job training, I spoke up about inappropriate employer expectations and the questionable monitoring of employees. I don't regret it, and hope my co-workers are feeling a bit more at ease now.

American Cancer Society, I thought you were the good guys. Boy, have I been schooled. Ugh...what a waste of time.

"Review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

PTO, health benefits, Work From Home

Cons

lack of upward mobility, drastically underpaid, bad management

"Starter job (NCIC)"

Current Employee - Team Supervisor in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Team Supervisor in Austin, TX

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Large amount of PTO
    - Casual office
    - Friendly, caring peers
    - Increasing work-from-home opportunities
    - Health insurance is great

Cons

- Pay is low
    - Raises are infrequent and small
    - Advancement opportunities are few and competitive
    - Culture is a little too hand-holdy and soft
    - Repetitive work
    - My recommendation for NCIC employees is to gain the most experience you can and use this job as a stepping stone elsewhere, so that you can find better compensation

Advice to Management

- Prioritize pay

5. "Cancer Resource Specialist"

Current Employee - Cancer Resource Specialist in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Cancer Resource Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great Work Environment! Caring, Compassionate co-workers, supervisor and staff.

Cons

We haven't found a cure for all cancers yet!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing, we appreciate your support!

6. "Great benefits"

Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent work life balance with lots of PTO to start off

Cons

Not a lot of opportunities to move up

"Constant Reorganization - Limited Value of Employees"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Working with volunteers is the best part of the job. Always great people to work with.

Cons

No work/life balance. Low pay. No appreciation of staff or volunteers. High Turnover.

Advice to Management

Show staff and volunteers appreciation. Pay the staff who do the work more.

"So unorganized, morale very low"

Current Employee - Patient Service Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Patient Service Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Help cancer patients get their needed treatment.

Cons

Supervisors are only friendly to their friends. Otherwise, you pretty much don't exist. It doesn't matter if you do an excellent job. Under constant restructuring and constant lay-offs.

Advice to Management

Stop putting people in management positions that are unqualified for the job.

"Mission focused"

Current Employee - Income Specialist in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Income Specialist in Austin, TX

Pros

You are working for a good cause. The people around you care about their jobs and feel personal connections to the mission.

Cons

Frequent restructuring. Pay for skills needed versus living in Austin is not great, and raises are minimal with a 50/50 shot at getting one at all. Little opportunity for career advancement.

Advice to Management

Invest time, money, and attention in your staff. It is perfectly OK to be mission focused. Your staff are too. But we can't keep doing more with less.

"Income Support Specialist"

Current Employee - Income Support Specialist in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Income Support Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It wasn't always this bad, but I don't know anyone who enjoys this work or finds a lot of positive benefits to themselves from it. Most people here say they are trapped due to circumstance.

Cons

To run you through an average day in this job, every morning you come in and scan your badge to enter an isolated room. Most people sit at a desk alone, far from other employees, and work alone from morning to night with no break between their calls.

Virtually all objects are banned from this room you stay in all day, even things like pens. But you wouldn’t have time to use it ever, even if you could. You will be working non-stop round the clock, so there is little interaction with your colleagues or time for personal thoughts.

The calls are back to back all day long. A high percentage of the calls are angry, so you have constant interaction with people who are talking down to you while you’re working. Computers are locked down so you can only view ACS sites. No electronic devices allowed in the room. You come in and become a robot zombie for 8 hours, essentially.

There is a high burnout rate—it’s rare that an employee stays in this department for a long time without scrambling to transfer out or quit. People generally leave with some bitter feelings about the department, and most people who are here are resentful of it. This department has a reputation within NCIC for poor/harsh workplace conditions, so transfers in are non-existent.

Advice to Management

Fix the e-card workaround. It's been 5 months, guys.

Showing 65 of 1,125 reviews