American Cancer Society Reviews | Glassdoor

Gary Reedy

1,188 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Talent Strategy (Human Resources)"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Williamsburg, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Williamsburg, VA

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people working here are wonderful. The employees really care and want to make a difference. Leadership really cares and always looking for ways to improve, and also very transparent.

Cons

I don't think there are any cons, I really love working here.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

2. "A place where my passion aligns with my work"

Current Employee - Community Development in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Community Development in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time

Pros

Very generous time off program, supportive management, realistic fundraising goals and positive environment. While I feel like most non-profits have struggled in recent years, ACS has really “found” themselves and is on the right track! Highly recommend working here!

Cons

It can be challenging to always try to outdo your most recent year, but it’s necessary for us to find a cure! We must continue to grow.

Advice to Management

Continue to help staff find work-life balance. I feel very supported in this area, but it’s easy to allow your passion to burn the candle at both ends.
    Insurance benefits used to be better under Blue Cross. Consider an option other than Cigna.
    Area, Regional and Global Leaders are awesome!

3. "Community Development Manager"

Current Employee - Community Manager
    Current Employee - Community Manager

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Make a difference, great staff, lots of training, travel, and good benefits.

Cons

Night hours, lots of reports

"Sr. Market Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Market Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Market Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits were good and the work is rewarding becasue you are helping cancer patients. Smaller office atmosphere in some paces.

Cons

Very reactive and unwilling to change. Says they will reward employees for long term employment by offering to move departments, but hiring managers will give an excuse that you don’t have experience in that department when you interview to move departments.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees in the field. They hear what volunteers and donors want and it not becasue the employees are lazy or don’t want to work. They are truly speaking for the volunteers in the field.

5. "Good if you love a flexible schedule"

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time

Pros

Super flexible, work at home schedule. Best benefits you'll ever find.

Cons

Low pay and you may be laid off without notice despite how hard you work. Execs in Atlanta lay off employees to trim costs, without regard to work performance.

6. "Lots of layoffs"

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexibility. Pay. Benefits. Mission. Work from home.

Cons

Long hours. High expectations. Stress.

"Had potential....WI Review"

Former Employee - Fundraiser
    Former Employee - Fundraiser

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was grateful for the experience,, external relationships. Don't get me wrong it was an experience that I enjoyed, however, it was what I made it - the external relationships and the feeling that I was having an impact was awesome.

Cons

MN leadership lacks knowledge of fundraising and sales in general, lots of favoritism for promoting people without proven ability. While this is not proven, it felt like if you were female and under 30 you had a good career track. I'm sorry to say but the main leader of this midwest group, while a good communicator , lacks people leadership. Example - Relay for Life leader, who's area was failing got kept and put into another program during a reorg, they put a leader into Corporate who didn't have the contacts in the area over many others that did, like they didn't understand the power of being connected into community - in retrospect, very few of the "leaders" actually had a success story to share, they just were a result of corporate favoritism. The internal staff in WI did not work well with one another, they spent a lot of time talking about others vs. elevating eachother, the office environment in WI is stifling, , It was sad to think that severance packages came from donor dollars that doesn't sit well with me. Too many reorg's they don't give the current vision enough time to develop before they are "finding a new way to do something" change is good, just not every 6 mos.

Advice to Management

While there are some very aggressive comments here, I would say looking back, you have to stop the favoritism. Hold people accountable to the SAME expectation. Promote leaders that have a proven solid record of success. In all my many years of working for profit, I've never seen an org promote based on "popularity" based on the turnover and the reviews, I'm not sure you are listening.

"Don't Do It"

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time

Pros

Working with lots of great volunteers

Cons

Management is clueless. Organization lacks trust between employees and management.

Advice to Management

Spend some time talking to those in the field and find out what is really going on, you won't be happy with what you find out.

"Community Development Manager"

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time

Pros

Dedicated volunteers, caring co-workers, good benefits

Cons

No work-life balance, get used to working beyond 40 hours a week, no opportunity to advance, stagnant salaries despite professional success

"Average pay, lack of opportunities to grow within company"

Current Employee - Cancer Resource Specialist in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Cancer Resource Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Average Pay, health insurance benefits, PTO, working from home opportunities

Cons

Opportunity for growth is almost non existent. They solicit for open supervisor positions but you need to be with the company for years to be considered as a potential candidate.
    Micromanaging by supervisors and lack of understanding for personal matters that arise. You work with cancer patients every day and it can be emotionally draining and then having a supervisor that isn’t empathetic to personal matters that arise can be frustrating. Especially when they say the rules are the rules...definitely demonstrates this nonprofi is run from a business mindset.

Advice to Management

Less micromanaging by supervisors and place more emphasis on self care. It would be beneficial to allow more opportunities for growth!

Showing 1,188 of 1,282 reviews