American Cancer Society Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Gary Reedy

Pros
Cons
  • work life balance was good or bad depending on who your boss was and the office that you worked in (in 97 reviews)

• No work/life balance- it is impossible to "unplug" (in 36 reviews)

"Unethical company, unreasonable goals for territories, unqualified and unprofessional management"

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Rewarding relationships with volunteers & survivors.

Cons

Unqualified managers; goals created based on what is needed to fund upper management lifestyles, not on actual community possibilities. Extremely high turnover.

"Terrible Experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of PTO
    You get to work with wonderful volunteers
    Great Coworkers on the ground level

Cons

Long hours
    Oppressive management
    Random Layoffs
    Terrible to their employees...had a coworker laid off via conference call.

Advice to Management

With only 10% of dollars going to research...why exactly do we exist? Terrible treatment of employees is seen by the volunteers.

"Worst job ever"

Former Employee - Community Manager in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Community Manager in Albany, NY

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They pay you, you get time off from the start, most volunteers are decent people, did I mention they pay you

Cons

Long hours, don't care about people just money, wouldn't give a dime to this organization. Major downsizing has left moral at an all time low, management has zero clue what they are doing

Advice to Management

None of them would listen so I have none

"Very Sad The Organization Is Failing It's Employees and Donors"

Former Employee - Senior Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Manager

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flex schedule and ability to maintain your own calendar, PTO days are good but you really don't have time to take them

Cons

Employees are not valued, positions eliminated without warning, Poor upper management, HR doesn't listen to complaints or take action, positions such as Community Engagement get paid for doing nothing, no work/life balance, donor dollars not used at the community level

Advice to Management

Clean up this organization....fast! Delete positions such at CE which are a waste of donor dollars.

"No room for advancement, terrible pay, low morale"

Former Employee - Patient Navigator in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Patient Navigator in Chicago, IL

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People other than the management are awesome to work with! They are dedicated to the mission. Management is awful

Cons

Management is terrible. They all only care about themselves. They all make significantly more than the rest of employees. No room for advancement.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees more

"Struggling to keep up"

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time

Pros

Great mission and there is some great talent at the organization but it is not appreciated by leadership.

Cons

Archaic leadership system in place. Organization let over 1000 people go so far in 2016 and even more layoffs are coming. Product is outdated. Innovation is not accepted. I do not recommend applying for a position here until at least 2019. It will take that long for the organization to come out of the black hole it is in. There are way too many mid-level managers and directors and pointless division- level leadership that stalwart progress and their salary impacts donor dollars. Human Resources is the worst department and employees are not treated well. There is an "all talk, no action" approach here and it has gone downhill rapidly in 8 years since I have been employed here.

"Highly Upsetting Work Environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice Pto benefits and insurance package

Cons

Lack of respect by upper management
    Leadership hired does not know how to work with staff
    Poor Communication and Honesty relayed to staff
    Disorganization company wide
    Very difficult to advance from current role
    Poor handling of situations
    Focus is on fundraising as opposed to a mission to help patients

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff. Hire leaders that are able to cultivate a sense of pride for the work as opposed to being confused and demanding goals that are unattainable.

"Community Manager - Relay For Life"

Former Employee - Community Manager in Everett, WA
    Former Employee - Community Manager in Everett, WA

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's honestly hard for me to look back and think of any pro's. I guess I would have to say the vacation time, being able to be your own manager/set your schedule.

Cons

Everything else! I worked for ACS for 2 years and in that time, my office went through 5 managers. There is little to no help or direction from upper management. The employee's are held to unrealistic expectations and blamed for any issues their events have. I'm thankful for the experience because it helped me grow and taught me exactly what I can handle but I was without a doubt thrown in the deep end with no life raft.

"Dinosaur on its way to extinction"

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A lot of people who work at ACS really care and really want to help people. Too bad they're all in positions where they have no say in how things are run.

You get a lot of PTO right away.

Cons

Horrendous work/life balance, especially for "community" staff aka salespeople who don't get commission.

Poor pay with minimal raises even for top performers, except for executives who are ridiculously overpaid in the first place. Donor dollars are regularly wasted on extravagant black tie events and executive perks.

ACS is obsessed with diversity to a ridiculous level, to the point that a straight, English-speaking white male has no hope for advancement unless he's already an executive in the first place.

IT management drank the ITIL kool-aid so it's all about metrics and processes rather than actually getting things done.

Entirely too many people are hired who don't even have basic computer skills because the politically correct management doesn't want to discriminate.

Despite being a supposedly politically neutral nonprofit, ACS regularly lobbies in favor of things opposed by half or more of their potential donors.

Advice to Management

Lose the politically correct b.s. and concentrate on actually finding a cure for cancer.

Try to appeal to a broader group of people instead of actively turning off half of the country because of political lobbying.

"Data capture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

Pros

They pay a decent amount but the workload isn't worth it

Cons

This company treats employees poorly. They choose favorites to promote or hand out special privileges . They demand perfect performance and change what the rules are constantly. They also explain how they measure performance about halfway through the yr