American Cancer Society Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Gary Reedy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is non existent (in 104 reviews)

• No work life balance, training process isn't helpful and most is unnecessary, lots of hours for little pay (in 39 reviews)

1. "Biggest joke of a nonprofit ever"

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Travel and Fun! Have all your meals and lodging paid for, and many "expenses" written off, including liquor. If you are middle management, you get to stay in high cost hotels, rent cars, fly, and use the excuse of "conferences" or "meetings" to eat, drink, and travel at the expense of the people who donated money to fight cancer

Cons

Same as "Pros". Money not accounted for, sometimes balance and ledger sheets have been "creatively" worked on so as to move money from one line to the next so as not to show "direct expense" as opposed to "indirect expense". Popularity contest for those who want to keep jobs there - if you don't give your entire life up to devote to the cause, and if you don't agree with management on every single thing, you will be urged to find employment elsewhere. Low pay, not enough training, not equal treatment or rules for all employees. If you do not agree with your supervisor, or are not 100 percent devoted to giving 24 hours a day to this job, it's not for you.

Advice to Management

Wise up and leave your ivory towers - with the money spent on all of your travel, and that of management, along with your liquor and restaurant bills, you could have given 100 cancer patients 30 free nights in a Hope Lodge or a hotel. Shame on you.

"Patient Navigator"

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time

Pros

Team members were very supportive.

Cons

Management was awful. No room for growth. No positive feedback.

3. "MSR Specialist"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at American Cancer Society as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay for not hard job.

Cons

Practice what you preach. The managers would micro manage and be very strict and then you would see them in the back messing around and playing games and using social media all day.

Advice to Management

Do your job.

"Imploding!"

Former Employee - Senior Director in Morgantown, WV
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Morgantown, WV

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The mission of the organization is at the heart of why many people work for the ACS. Cancer touches us all.

Cons

CEO is out of touch. Strategic planning is lacking in the organization. Valuable talent continues to leave and revenue continues to drop. The glory days of Relay For Life are over. Expect more layoffs and benefit cuts. Ask for the financials before you decide to work here. Diversity is a placeholder, it doesn't exist here.

Advice to Management

Board should rethink Gary Reedy as CEO.

"Weak leadership"

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time

Pros

Mission-driven coworkers. Flexibility to work remotely when needed.

Cons

ACS has been reorganizing or "transforming" for years now. While layoffs continue for those in mission-critical and IT areas, hiring of top level positions seems to increase (especially for marketing).
    Good people are leaving for other opportunities that are more fulfilling and/or secure.

Advice to Management

Focus on supporting delivery of mission programs and services and less on spending $$$ on marketing/developing apps to make it easier for people to donate $.

"Unfortunate mess, very sad indeed"

Current Employee - Development in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Development in Tampa, FL

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Health benefits good but not worth bad environment

Cons

Inexperienced and unworthy people are promoted while others with more experience and ability are overlooked. Upper corporate management is out of touch with field employees.

Advice to Management

Start over! Rebuild organization. Hire employees with experience, integrity and passion. Get rid of dead weight and unscrupulous management.

"Do you homework before you accept a position"

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time

Pros

Great co-workers who are trying to make a difference

Cons

Lack of leadership and strategic direction, low morale, high turnover, no work-life balance, constant restructuring and layoffs, no loyalty to employees.

Advice to Management

Take a serious look at employee morale and do something about it! The recent announcement about the new severance package makes it clear that leadership does not value employees. (The organization just announced that severance packages for employees below the "VP level" will only get 1 week of severance for every year of service. VP's and above get 2 weeks per year).

"Senior Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Manager, Relay for Life in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager, Relay for Life in San Francisco, CA

I worked at American Cancer Society (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working with volunteers and some staff.

Cons

Dealing with rude staff who have recently been placed in higher roles that choose friends over performance.

Advice to Management

Stop playing favorites. Takes good look at yourself and see the monster you are. Youare quickto judge others but don't take the same criticism when looking at yourself.

"Lately it seems I'm on a sinking ship."

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love the work I do at ACS and that it can make a difference to people fighting cancer.

Cons

Current financials show that we are still spending much more than we are earning; we had the opportunity to reduce from 12 divisions down to four and instead we are at six, so while the rest of the organization is setup for four geo-graphic regions for supporting the field staff our field staff are in six regions. We still have way too many layers of management. I'm a manager who reports to a sr. manager who reports to a director who report to a VP who reports to the C-suite who reports to the CEO...that is nothing compared to others who have even more layers of mgmt.

Advice to Management

Also, in light of our financial situation, you would think that leadership would be cutting spending where ever possible; well this week we were told the severance package would change from two weeks per year with a minimum of 3 weeks to one week per year_same minimum; except if you're a VP or higher, then you still get the two weeks per year with a 6 week minimum. I no longer believe you really care about employees or our financials. Severance should be the same for everyone period. I don't mind that it was reduced, but it should be reduced for everyone.

"Creepsville. Don't stop looking over your shoulder!"

Former Employee - Cancer Resource Specialist in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Cancer Resource Specialist in Austin, TX

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The American Cancer Society is chartered to relieve pain and suffering from cancer...and most of its staff and volunteers are dedicated to the mission.

Cons

Big Pharma meets Big Brother...it seems they're collecting a scary amount of information from both constituent/patients and employees. Unfortunately, ACS leadership has teamed up with some high-profile tech companies, and allows those companies to access nonprofit facilities and human resources for software testing. During my training at the National Cancer Information Center, my coworkers and I were subjected to some very questionable expectations and monitored without disclosure or permission.

Advice to Management

Understand the importance of disclosure, both to your employees AND your patients.

If you're going to webcam and record employees while they're training, a heads-up is appreciated. If you encourage home access of organizational resources because you've enabled remote monitoring of personal devices, let your new hires KNOW.

If "job training" is actually nothing but software testing (WITH a job as a carrot on a stick if one makes it through), disclose that to new hires...don't refer to an eight-week UX testing exercise as "Wellness Corner". If employees decide the observation and testing is a bit too much, allow them to opt out of the "exercise", but continue with employment. Don't continue to monitor computer and phone activity of employees who decide to leave. My family has experienced undue anxiety and costly device replacements because of the "cloud control" ACS continues to assert on our home router and electronics. (Yes, guys, admit it.) We are thoroughly disgusted.

I returned to ACS, to the same job, after a 17-year break. I have always been a hard-working and devoted employee, and wholeheartedly stood behind the mission. After a few weeks of very odd on-the-job training, I spoke up about inappropriate employer expectations and the questionable monitoring of employees. I don't regret it, and hope my co-workers are feeling a bit more at ease now.

American Cancer Society, I thought you were the good guys. Boy, have I been schooled. Ugh...what a waste of time.

Showing 157 of 1,141 reviews