American Cancer Society Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 18, 2017

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Gary Reedy

Pros
Cons
  • work life balance was good or bad depending on who your boss was and the office that you worked in (in 100 reviews)

• No work/life balance- it is impossible to "unplug" (in 37 reviews)

"Leader in cancer research finding its way"

Current Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I would allocate 3.5 stars. Unimpeachable mission, world-leading research, CEO is making difficult decisions that should have been made five years ago, the executive to who I report is the finest leader with whom I have served, workplace flexibility, excellent PTO, excellent health benefits.

Cons

Compensation is low, some staff are terrified of changing process or behaviors, dependence on limited revenue channels (though changing).

Advice to Management

Be ferocious in driving change - we need it,

"The Mission is the Purpose"

Current Employee - Mission Delivery Coordinator in Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Mission Delivery Coordinator in Framingham, MA

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Mission
    The co-workers
    The patients
    The positive change being made

Cons

The pay
    The current restructure (2nd time in 5 years)
    Reporting to people who are in different states across the county.

"Mission focused"

Current Employee - Income Specialist in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Income Specialist in Austin, TX

Pros

You are working for a good cause. The people around you care about their jobs and feel personal connections to the mission.

Cons

Frequent restructuring. Pay for skills needed versus living in Austin is not great, and raises are minimal with a 50/50 shot at getting one at all. Little opportunity for career advancement.

Advice to Management

Invest time, money, and attention in your staff. It is perfectly OK to be mission focused. Your staff are too. But we can't keep doing more with less.

"NCIC Review"

Former Employee - Cancer Information Specialist in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Cancer Information Specialist in Austin, TX

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, meaningful work, operates professionally

Cons

Upper management does not listen to feedback from first-contact employees

"Much transformation ahead"

Current Employee - Community Manager in Northborough, MA
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Northborough, MA

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Believing in the mission to end the pain and suffering of cancer. Org does some amazing things

Cons

consolidations have happened again and again since economic downturn. Org struggling to get on an even keel... it's change or die and the fallout is hard on dedicated employees

7. "Communications Associate"

Former Freelancer - Communications Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Former Freelancer - Communications Associate in Atlanta, GA

I worked at American Cancer Society (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, good mission, committed co-workers

Cons

Software and hardware is not state-of-the-art. Microsoft and Oracle products create delay in inefficiencies.

Advice to Management

Upgrade to Apple products across the board. Employees and the public will benefit.

"Community Representative"

Former Employee - Community Representative in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Community Representative in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at American Cancer Society (More than a year)

Pros

Knowing you're working for a cause and the actual Relay for Life Event itself is an inspiring event. Great to meet kids that want to do their part and to be a part of sending sick kids off to camp. Extremely hard working and committed counterpart Community Representatives who want to make a difference and give it everything they have. Actual Administrative staff on the other hand were difficult to work with and gave very begrudgingly little support (that's a con).

Cons

Very difficult and physically grueling. You basically have to go to events (committee meetings which are always late night, chamber of commerce meetings which are always at 6 am or 7 am, town council meetings which are always late at night, fundraisers which are always late night and weekends, before and after your regular 9 to 6 normal required office work hours as well as weekends that don't count as part of your hours nor are your gas and mileage covered. I ended up owing thousands on my car lease from excess mileage when turned in and my car was destroyed with all the boxes and materials I had to have it packed to the gills with. You have no quality of life whatsoever, you have no down time and you are constantly carrying large amounts of materials and boxes with you everywhere you go while you are wearing sweater sets, skirts and heals which is expected attire. There is a huge amount of pressure to make numbers by upper management you are under a lot of stress to make a huge plethora of numbers and goals (there are tons of goals such as volunteer goals, team recruiting goals, financial fundraising goals, number of event goals it goes on and on and you're expected to lug materials with you during the day to drive around and walk communities business to business asking for support. During events you basically don't sleep for 2 days (set up, 18 hour event, clean up, donation handling). There is a lot of pressure from volunteers especially if you are unable to acquire strong committee chairs you are in big trouble. It's the most difficult job any of us had ever done and office meetings just felt like beat up sessions on already exhausted staff. I would have loved to have been able to spend more time actually being there for the community and creating awareness of the services we offered as well as how funds help research at the end of the day that would have built in a long term buy in from the community. Instead we eventually would feel resentment from the community from our seemingly singular concern on money money money teams teams teams we want we want we want. If we give we give we give the commit commit commit. We weren't doing that.

Advice to Management

Make this a workplace that is more focused on the actual cause and helping people. Volunteers get very turned off by the obvious disregard of ACS towards the cause and only focus on money money money numbers numbers numbers. They see it as disingenuous and makes it very difficult to retain Committee Members and Chairs. Care more about the health and well being of your employees.

"Donations"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Positive work environment. Good pay and good benefits.

Cons

Job stability changing due to "Transformation". No work from home opportunities for income dept.

Advice to Management

Mgmt should show compassion when it comes to employees being concerned about job stability.

"Community Manager"

Former Employee - Community Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Community Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at American Cancer Society (More than 3 years)

Pros

great benefits--good people to work with

Cons

Do not support staff with proper training for the kind of fund raising they expect

"Nonprofit Is Big Business!"

Former Employee - Patient Navigator in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Patient Navigator in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

-37.5 hr work week
    -21+ days of PTO
    -great professional development opportunities

Cons

-Lots of organizational chanhe
    -can be obnoxiously focused on everyone bringing in donations/raising money
    -"too many cooks in the kitchen"
    -lack of diversity (not only is it predominately white, the org is also predominately straight, middle-class and Christian).
    -sometimes it felt like upper management is out of touch with day-to-day activity of their lower-level staff

Advice to Management

-Take more time to ask staff for input, especially when it comes to changing/implementing programs
    -proactively encourage peer-to-peer mentorship and comradery

Showing 276 of 1,010 reviews