American Cancer Society Reviews | Glassdoor

American Cancer Society Reviews

Updated February 23, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • work life balance was good or bad depending on who your boss was and the office that you worked in (in 97 reviews)

• No work/life balance- it is impossible to "unplug" (in 36 reviews)

"Lots of change"

Pros

Great mission, dedicated staff and volunteers. Competitive benefit package and work flexibility.

Cons

Constant change, controlling headquarters staff, little salary advancement.

"Community Representative"

Former Employee - Community Representative in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Community Representative in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at American Cancer Society (More than a year)

Pros

Knowing you're working for a cause and the actual Relay for Life Event itself is an inspiring event. Great to meet kids that want to do their part and to be a part of sending sick kids off to camp. Extremely hard working and committed counterpart Community Representatives who want to make a difference and give it everything they have. Actual Administrative staff on the other hand were difficult to work with and gave very begrudgingly little support (that's a con).

Cons

Very difficult and physically grueling. You basically have to go to events (committee meetings which are always late night, chamber of commerce meetings which are always at 6 am or 7 am, town council meetings which are always late at night, fundraisers which are always late night and weekends, before and after your regular 9 to 6 normal required office work hours as well as weekends that don't count as part of your hours nor are your gas and mileage covered. I ended up owing thousands on my car lease from excess mileage when turned in and my car was destroyed with all the boxes and materials I had to have it packed to the gills with. You have no quality of life whatsoever, you have no down time and you are constantly carrying large amounts of materials and boxes with you everywhere you go while you are wearing sweater sets, skirts and heals which is expected attire. There is a huge amount of pressure to make numbers by upper management you are under a lot of stress to make a huge plethora of numbers and goals (there are tons of goals such as volunteer goals, team recruiting goals, financial fundraising goals, number of event goals it goes on and on and you're expected to lug materials with you during the day to drive around and walk communities business to business asking for support. During events you basically don't sleep for 2 days (set up, 18 hour event, clean up, donation handling). There is a lot of pressure from volunteers especially if you are unable to acquire strong committee chairs you are in big trouble. It's the most difficult job any of us had ever done and office meetings just felt like beat up sessions on already exhausted staff. I would have loved to have been able to spend more time actually being there for the community and creating awareness of the services we offered as well as how funds help research at the end of the day that would have built in a long term buy in from the community. Instead we eventually would feel resentment from the community from our seemingly singular concern on money money money teams teams teams we want we want we want. If we give we give we give the commit commit commit. We weren't doing that.

Advice to Management

Make this a workplace that is more focused on the actual cause and helping people. Volunteers get very turned off by the obvious disregard of ACS towards the cause and only focus on money money money numbers numbers numbers. They see it as disingenuous and makes it very difficult to retain Committee Members and Chairs. Care more about the health and well being of your employees.

3. "Director"

Former Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are good for employees

Cons

Tele commuting needs to be looked at.

Advice to Management

Diversity needs to be a priority

"Losing their way"

Former Employee - Grassroots Manager in Warwick, RI
    Former Employee - Grassroots Manager in Warwick, RI

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The mission to fight cancer

Cons

Grew too large, lost their way, lots of senior managers should move on

Advice to Management

Leaner, younger, more innovative

6. "Excellent place to work"

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time

Pros

Rewarding mission and work, caring and collegiate coworkers and volunteers

Cons

Be prepared to work very hard and go above and beyond normal business hours

7. "Good benefits but lower pay"

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time

Pros

Good benefits working there

Cons

Pay can be lower for profit companies

8. "Salary"

Pros

The salary is good in comparison to similar type of jobs. There is some flexibility with work schedule depending on the position

Cons

tends to promote under achievers, not sure why

"The cons outweigh the pros"

Former Employee - Community Manager
    Former Employee - Community Manager

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time

Pros

-AMAZING colleagues! They are very hardworking, passionate and friendly.
    -PTO is very generous
    -Flexible schedules; some managers let you work from home.
    -The volunteers are incredible. They put so much work into their event and really inspire staff and the community.

Cons

-There is zero work life balance. You have several night meetings, weekend events, and when you do not have those, often times you will be responding to emails, texts, and phone calls until 11PM and as early as 7AM depending on your manager and volunteers' schedules.
    -Job security is non-existent. They are constantly going through transformation and laying off staff. It does not matter how long you worked there or performance.
    -There is a serious disconnect with HQ. There needs to be more transparency.
    -Little to no recognition for reaching goals. It becomes very frustrating when everything is negative.
    -Almost impossible to move up within the company.

Advice to Management

-Invest in your employees and show them some recognition. They have without a doubt, one of the hardest jobs and need to feel appreciative.
    -Address the staff turnover. This has been going on for years and there avoiding the topic is not solving the issue.

10. "Lots of dedicated staff"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Highly dedicated staff and volunteers.

Cons

Red tape and difficulty measuring impact of programs because effort is spread too thin although with good intentions

Advice to Management

Prioritize the mission and look for high impact engagment

"Senior Market Manager"

Former Employee - Massachusetts
    Former Employee - Massachusetts

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible, good salary, opportunity for advancement and professional development

Cons

Top down culture, loyalty to headquarters not local employees, high pressure

Advice to Management

Be sure your job description matches your expectations.