American Cancer Society "great benefits" Reviews | Glassdoor

American Cancer Society Employee Reviews about "great benefits"

Updated Sep 11, 2019

3.1
American Cancer Society CEO Gary Reedy (no image)
Gary Reedy
Pros
  • "Great benefits and time off policies(in 85 reviews)

• "This is a company dedicated to their cause and who has a healthy work/life balance(in 81 reviews)

Cons

Reviews about "great benefits"

Return to all Reviews

"Health Systems"

Current Employee - Primary Care Physician in Virginias Chesapeake Shores, VA

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing culture, loose management (no micromanaging) supportive of family, meaningful work. Great benefits.

Cons

Jobs can dissolve and positions can be eliminated without warning.

Advice to Management

Make better use of your social media accounts. Invest in community work, look at grass-root fundraising, not just chasing big fish. There is value in the smaller, local community groups, and health organizations. Just because it’s small doesn’t mean it can’t be impactful. Your presence is needed in the community

American Cancer Society2018-11-20

"Good benefits, difficult to find a career path."

Former Employee - Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits and time off policies. Genuine people who care about the mission of the organization.

Cons

Constantly going through restructuring, job security is an issue. Pay increases are extremely minimal. Many struggle to find a career path. Many have to move departments to advance.

American Cancer Society2019-09-11

"Beware Of Burnout"

Former Employee - Cancer Information Specialist in Austin, TX

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great benefits and you're helping people

Cons

Burnout and a corporate culture that talks a good game about caring for the employees but you're really just cogs in a big machine

Advice to Management

Focus more on the mental health aspects of the Employee Assistance Program. I burned out, kept trying with diminishing success, was bounced from supervisor to supervisor as teams were reshuffled (so my support was stopped and started multiple times), and by the time I was terminated I had a complete psychological breakdown requiring involuntary hospitalization. I'm still not fully recovered 4 years later. I was... notified of one former employee who stopped working for ACS and later committed suicide. Some people thrive in the ACS call center. Others are slowly destroyed by it. You must address this a.s.a.p.

American Cancer Society2019-07-28

"Be Careful"

Current Employee - Account Management Support Coordinator in Coppell, TX

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working for a company that can actually do good in the world, some people are very motivated, great benefits

Cons

Poor pay, a lot of unnecessary red tape, either extremely busy or no work at all, the organization is always changing

Advice to Management

Value your employees, especially those that the boots on the ground. Quit with the unnecessary "community" talks and supposed motivational videos. Re-evaluate your pay structure, so that there is no longer a huge discrepancy between executive management pay and the rest of the employees; this will reduce turnover.

American Cancer Society2019-05-20

"Great Non-Profit"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work-life balance is great. Benefits were amazing!

Cons

Low pay, extremely busy due to staffing needs

American Cancer Society2019-04-07

"No matter how much money you give, it’s never enough"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits and they have great programs for patients

Cons

You never know if your job is safe

Advice to Management

Show employees a bit of appreciation now and again

American Cancer Society2019-01-28

"Coordinator"

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time

Pros

Great benefits as soon as you start.

Cons

Everything else. Managment was horrible!

American Cancer Society2018-09-21

"Cancer Resource Specialist"

Former Employee - Cancer Resource Specialist in Austin, TX

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Average pay but great benefits, excellent health insurance, ~21 days paid vacation - (eventually) flexible schedule. Start a full time, but you may work part time after a while with good performance - strong mission - Team supervisors are expected to be supportive. All of mine were, but a few others had bad micromanaging supervisors. That's not really the expectation though...

Cons

- Difficult to advance in career. There are supervisor openings, but a ton of candidates come forward for any opening - Be prepared for burn-out. You will be working directly with cancer patients that are at risk of losing their employment and/or housing. You will get good at it, but you will burn out at some point. I've seen a lot of people leave the job because it became too stressful. People start taking a lot... of "sick" days, and then they're on thin ice when they get back. Most people get used to the heavy nature of the job, but some people never do. - I left at a time where there was a major company restructuring. ACS was moving all staff at call center to work-from-home. There were rumors of major political infighting above. Rumors were that a new department was destroying the old guard and firing long-time, respected supervisors

American Cancer Society2018-08-27

"Was a great place to work at one point"

Former Employee - Various Roles in Austin, TX

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

-Great benefits -Great time off -Attracts people who care about the mission -Made some great friends

Cons

-Mismanagement throughout the years resulted in lots of layoffs (mine included) -New "regime" is trying their best (I believe) but had to make more cuts because of the issues during the previous "regime" -Lots of pressure on event staff to meet their income goals -Remaining staff having to work with the resources they have which may be outdated technology and disgruntled employees/volunteers (disgruntled because... of the changes and layoffs)

Advice to Management

I know you're doing your best. But some of the layoffs seem weird. It's hard on staff and volunteers.

American Cancer Society2018-05-11

"I have worked in IT for the American Cancer Society for over 10 years"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great work atmosphere, good coworkers, good managers, great benefits, generous vacation package

Cons

The pay can be lower due to their generous benefits package and the fact they are non profit. If you work the help desk the Quality Assurance metrics can be a little nit picky.

Advice to Management

They recently hired some good positive managers, stay positive and relax the guidelines a little bit on the QA metrics.

American Cancer Society2018-04-19