American Chemical Society Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Madeleine Jacobs

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • In most areas of the company there seems to be a good work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

• This is a great place to work with some great benefits and incredibly nice people (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • poor communication, managers don't manage, they delegate last minute projects to their employees and lecture them (in 3 reviews)

• Very weak senior management; poor business management skills (in 3 reviews)

1. "A good place to work"

I have been working at American Chemical Society full-time

Pros

It is a very flexible organization that allows work from home and remotely.

Cons

The opportunity for advancement seems to be a little lacking

2. "It was good; then it got bad"

I worked at American Chemical Society full-time

Pros

For most of my time there, I had a great team and a wonderful boss. She was very understanding and mentored us.

Cons

Poor upper management, poor communication, and no loyalty.

Advice to Management

Learn to communicate better with your people before you waste their time and loyalty.

3. "ACS"

I have been working at American Chemical Society full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly Culture, and well adjusted

Cons

Low tech and slow moving

4. "Excellent Workplace Environment"

Current Employee - Managing Editor in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Managing Editor in Washington, DC

I have been working at American Chemical Society full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a great place to work with some great benefits and incredibly nice people. They provide great resources for people (computers, phones, iPads,etc.) and most of the people there are very friendly. The company pays well in comparison to similar companies in the area and they provide excellent opportunities for travel and learning.

Cons

It can sometimes be difficult breaking down barriers with people; however, this is a common occurrence in any workplace that houses numerous highly-educated professionals (many of the scientists have Ph.D.'s).

Advice to Management

Keep up the excellent work.

5. "It's okay"

I have been working at American Chemical Society full-time

Pros

The benefits are ok. The environment is ok. Things have changed over the past couple of years. It's not bad but not great either.

Cons

It's hard to get to know people. The organization is very siloed. It's difficult to advance or how to know why someone is advancing. There's a lot of turnover.

Advice to Management

Set clear goals and guidelines.

"A great place to work"

I have been working at American Chemical Society full-time

Pros

ACS is a great place to work. The salaries are high, the benefits are good, and the people are really nice to work with. Many people stay for decades.

Cons

There are some silos, but I think the company is working hard to break down those silos.

7. "Hoped for more"

I worked at American Chemical Society full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some really nice people.

Cons

Silos. Politics. Personal agendas are the motivation for too many.

Advice to Management

Don't buy the snake oil some departments are selling because they don't have the background to do their jobs.

8. "Review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at American Chemical Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, most people get offices, 5 blocks from the White House

Cons

Low pay. smaller company so only so much room for growth

"The bullies are taking over. Leadership is askew. They can't manage."

I worked at American Chemical Society full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits. My work put a smile on my face. Most of my peers put a smile on my face. Most of my peers are 100% supportive of each other and recognize the tactics of the dirty management.

Cons

Bullies. They decided to call employees of even Chemical Abstracts Service ACS staff. Bob Massie is sorely missed. Things were still bad but he prevented the completely destructive since he had a tact at recognizing the destroyers in the company. Not this new leadership. It became so bad in 2 years time, the company needs a Union to protect the employees. I had hard work and my heart destroyed by a person who just didn't like me. My heart embedded in that company. Not all CAS management (absorbed by ACS this past year) is bad but you can see the exhaustion on the faces of the management. The new Leadership believed the wrong people. Just immaturity on their part, I hope. They are in a soft-hiring freeze but think it's okay to hire people in HR and kick out analysts who are already stressed out. Everybody is under a microscopy for a job that is equivalent to a journalist job....A journalist job is one of the top most stressful jobs. Why? They have to do the research to clarify the information they will be writing to input into their interpretation of a topic. It's not much different than what analysts do.

Advice to Management

The company is sad. CAS is full of sad people. Sad and angry people. Who is the hater? That was my company first and I loved it and the new Leadership destroyed what I loved. I am a scientist and that is what former management wanted. This is a science company heavily reliant on IT to get information out. We are not an IT firm. We analyze and do research. Don't think of us as computers and codes. The company relies on molecular compounds and scientific research first. It needs the scientists to understand the molecular vibrations are the primary emphasis or the polymer being formulated in a paper does not fit nicely using an IT extraction formula. A alloy may be called an inorganic but upon further review it is chemical terminology by an author. An analyst can only do so much work. They need more help.

10. "Great work-life balance"

Former Employee - Senior Associate
    Former Employee - Senior Associate

I worked at American Chemical Society full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The work isn't too demanding and you have the ability to be flexible in your work hours. Most people leave the office by 5. The people are great.

Cons

While the employees are great people, many have been there for well over 10 years. It makes it difficult to grow in your career if you are seeking new opportunities and career advancement. And since no one leaves, there isn't a clear track for you to get a promotion or raise.

Advice to Management

Work with younger employees to have a clear career advancement track.