American Civil Liberties Union Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Susan N. Herman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Overall, it was a great place to work where I felt like I was truly making a difference (in 7 reviews)

• Work-life balance was pretty good for a nonprofit, and my supervisors always took time to make sure me and my work was appreciated (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Brilliant attorneys with a profound mistrust and disdain for anyone not in the legal department (in 3 reviews)

• no room for innovation or advancement (in 3 reviews)

1. "Paralegal"

I worked at American Civil Liberties Union full-time

Pros

Incredible colleagues, deeply motivated staff to pursue this work, meaningful caseload and strong support within program team, competitive pay and benefits for non-profit work

Cons

Lots of strains from large organization, including HR processes which dragged on for months. Exec Director is a great fundraiser but not a leader. Org undertook widespread layoffs that tanked morale office-wide and put many of our projects at a great disadvantage

Advice to Management

Focus more on taking care of your long-term employees who have institutional knowledge and loyalty they would like to share.

2. "Great opportunity to help and make a difference"

Current Employee - Outreach Coordinator
    Current Employee - Outreach Coordinator

I have been working at American Civil Liberties Union (More than a year)

Pros

I loved working there because of all the people that I met. The staff is great as well.

Cons

There are no downsides for this job.

3. "Do not work at the Albuquerque Office"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at American Civil Liberties Union full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good cause. Poorly run.

Cons

Stop the drama in the office. It is unnecessary. If you can't trust people to do their jobs, then don't hire them! Nobody likes to constantly explain themselves over ridiculous things - you should have better things to do than harp on small, insignificant things. If nobody is injured and you're not wasting money - move on for Christ sake... There are zero growth opportunities.

Advice to Management

I don't know about other office, but funny how all of the executives and or directors at the Albuquerque office are Caucasian.... Hmmm... Isn't this supposed to be a diverse group??? Yeah. Not so much.

"Stay away"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at American Civil Liberties Union full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

On the surface, the work is so inspiring.

Cons

People are treated like trash and are disposable. The worst HR department I've ever experienced. Senior leadership is a joke and too busy making political plays with each other to actually lead. Each one of them should be fired.

Advice to Management

Stop wasting the millions the public bestowed upon you.

5. "Good"

I have been working at American Civil Liberties Union full-time

Pros

Fulfilling, open environment, freedom to pursue own interests and ideas

Cons

Have to be careful in terms of language that is consistent with overall goals and messaging

"Hellhole"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at American Civil Liberties Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working for an organization that does excellent, vital work ensuring the US lives up to the promises of the Constitution.

Cons

The nastiest, most cliquish culture this side of first grade. Brilliant attorneys with a profound mistrust and disdain for anyone not in the legal department. The executive director utters platitudes about "making the values we express externally our internal values as well," but condones and supports the dysfunctional culture that has existed here for decades.

Advice to Management

Leave

7. "Loved it"

I worked at American Civil Liberties Union full-time

Pros

Smart, thoughtful, and respectful staff. Great benefits and responsible pay.

Cons

Bureaucratic hoops of any large organization.

"Do NOT take a job here if you're not a lawyer"

I worked at American Civil Liberties Union full-time

Pros

Front row seat to the legal teams appears to show good work. These are highly skilled, passionate, advocates that are empowered to do great work.

Cons

Communications and campaign organizers are deemed "non-lawyers", i.e. lesser than. The organizational strategy is lacking and cruel. Morale in many departments are low to abysmal. Be prepared to be treated terribly. Promises are broken. An epic lack of integrity among senior leadership.

9. "uhhhhhhhhhh"

Former Employee - Canvasser in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Canvasser in New York, NY

I worked at American Civil Liberties Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I met some kool people

Cons

Scammed, pay is not kool.

"Great Organization, Mostly Horrible Management"

Former Employee - Communications in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Communications in New York, NY

I worked at American Civil Liberties Union full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You are a part of cases that change the world for the better. Every case you work on, you're helping someone who has been screwed over. So educational. The legal department is well-run and does amazing things.

ETA: I don't know why Susan Herman, the totally amazing President of the Board, is listed as CEO. She's awesome. The ED - equivalent to CEO - is horrible.

Cons

Most of management, outside of the legal department, is completely inept, including the Executive Director. My first week on the job, we dropped everything to deal with his DUI in the Hamptons. He's of Puerto Rican heritage, yet approved an ad that said "Puerto Rico is just like the U.S." I worked not 50 feet from his office for 4 years, was in numerous meetings with him, and when I ran into him on the train a month after I left and said hello, he didn't have any clue who I was. It just gets worse from there on down – except the legal folks, they are awesome.

Advice to Management

Listen to staff when they tell you you are about to walk down the runway with your dress tucked into the back of your pantyhose. It could save you a lot of grief and money. "What starts in Arizona stops in Arizona??" Seriously?