American College of Cardiology Reviews | Glassdoor

American College of Cardiology Reviews

Updated Aug 14, 2019

Found 70 reviews

4.0
American College of Cardiology CEO Timothy W. Attebery, DSc, MBA, FACHE (no image)
Timothy W. Attebery, DSc, MBA, FACHE
Pros
  • "I work hard while at the office but have the work/life balance I need to focus on my family(in 17 reviews)

• "Great benefits across the board(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "(in 5 reviews)

• "The ACC must also be responsive to multiple constituencies which can be challenging if one is not comfortable with ambiguity(in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Finally found a great place to work!"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Washington, DC

I have been working at American College of Cardiology full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

ACC is a fantastic place to work. I've worked in different industries, for profit and non profit, throughout the course of my 20+ year career and have not worked for an organization like this. The work is interesting and mission focused, which was important to me. Also, it is employee-friendly. There is a great deal of flexibility here, including telework options, that were essential to me. I'm a single parent so... working at ACC has allowed me the flexibility I need as a parent, including the ability to volunteer at school. I work hard while at the office but have the work/life balance I need to focus on my family. They provide excellent professional development experiences and benefits. I also have been recognized for my work here through monetary and non-monetary recognition and have been promoted since I joined. In the years that I've been working here, there has not been a day when I have dreaded going to work which I think speaks to the culture, my ACC colleagues, the benefits, and the focus on employee wellness and work/life balance.

Cons

Some of the longer tenured employees are less interested in trying new things and giving new things a chance. Some employees feel so entitled that they complain about small, insignificant things. There is a culture of niceness where people don't want to give constructive feedback which can hinder progress.

Advice to Management

Encourage senior leaders to be fearless and have difficult conversations when needed. Also, move people that aren't doing their jobs.

American College of Cardiology2019-05-14
  2. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

Pros

The people are friendly, the company has a lot of great perks and benefits (free lunches, holiday events, company outings, etc.) . The pay is fair and they also offer performance based bonuses. Great work life balance and depending on the department you work in, you can also telework.

Cons

There isn't really any way to get promoted due to the structuring of roles. You're typically either an associate or a team lead (if not in the VP department).

American College of Cardiology2019-07-09

"Great benefits, very slow pace"

Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at American College of Cardiology full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits Very flexible with telework

Cons

Very slow pace Overwhelming levels of internal politics Will not spend money to the point of being stingy (for example, was told to use own DC Public Library card to access DC-tax provided online training) Lack of professional development opportunities

Advice to Management

Create guidelines to measure program effectiveness and/or use, and cut programs that do not meet these basic measures (this will save a great deal of money). Put money into professional development which will help with employee retention

American College of Cardiology2019-08-14
  4. "ACC"

Current Employee - QA Analyst- Automation

Pros

Great company to work for.

Cons

All Pros no Cons at all.

American College of Cardiology2019-06-23
  5. "Great place to work for innovation and member engagement"

Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at American College of Cardiology full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The ACC is an well-resourced organization that is not afraid to try innovative methods for providing its members with tools and resources that they need to make their lives easier. Staff has a wonderful opportunity to work with engaged and committed members on interesting and challenging projects, and often the resources are available to support that.

Cons

Could be better at communicating more with staff the rationales for decisions that are made.

Advice to Management

Make a commitment to sunsetting projects that are no longer working. It's great to assign new ventures, but sometimes things need to be retired.

American College of Cardiology2019-06-19
  6. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at American College of Cardiology full-time

Pros

awesome benefits and great people

Cons

difficult to advance in career

American College of Cardiology2019-06-16

"Great Place Overall"

I have been working at American College of Cardiology full-time

Pros

Amazing benefits, nice building and facilities, good coworkers, work remotely 2x/week after 6 months, summer Fridays, 10% employer 403b contributions vested after 4 years.

Cons

Very very difficult to get raises, somewhat isolated location, no cafeteria, some departments are understaffed and overworked

Advice to Management

Bring back March-November half-day Fridays!

American College of Cardiology2019-05-03
  8. "Rewarding Medical Society Work"

Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at American College of Cardiology full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

My work allows cardiologists to provide high quality care for their patients. The ACC rewards effort and innovation, allows for growth, and provides a lot of flexibility for a work-life balance.

Cons

As a large organization, it is not always easy to find the right person or process to accomplish a task or project. The ACC must also be responsive to multiple constituencies which can be challenging if one is not comfortable with ambiguity.

American College of Cardiology2019-04-19
  9. "Constantly challenged"

Pros

Great leadership. Amazing benefits. The College takes pride in Professional Development and encourages each employee to learn as much as they can.

Cons

None. Continue striving to change the cardiovascular world.

American College of Cardiology2019-04-15

"Slow pace, friendly people"

Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at American College of Cardiology full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Half day Fridays Great work/life balance Short working hours Generous 403B match Transportation subsidy Nice location & free shuttle from Foggy Bottom and Dupont Friendly culture, I had lots of great co-workers, people say hello in the hallways and kitchens Great senior management: Shal was a very approachable CEO, my EVP Brandon was a great leader Many great people and minimal intra-team office politics.... I made a lot of friends and did not even observe any drama. (at least in my team) Lots of vacation days HR did a great job in organizing events, bringing in speakers, etc...

Cons

People from a few departments are uncooperative and territorial Little or no opportunities for advancement or pay raises My skills were underutilized Very little work got done, many people were there to "retire" Unqualified middle management No cafeteria Outdated technology, equipment, tools, and processes You will not be surrounded by the best and the brightest

Advice to Management

Eliminate some of the middle management to save money and eliminate bureaucracy. Don't waste money on products and services the members do not actually use.

American College of Cardiology2019-01-08