American College of Chest Physicians Reviews | Glassdoor

Stephen J. Welch

1. "Senior professional"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Plaines, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Plaines, IL

I have been working at American College of Chest Physicians (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Company to work for

Cons

Low Salaries and No Cafeteria

"Fair, only fair"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glenview, IL

I have been working at American College of Chest Physicians full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Staff are great! Work at home policy is really on trend and very beneficial. Technology and systems are superb - Big kudos on this - was not easy to do and many resources are, and have been, devoted to it. The work we do is very important and our members are terrific!

Cons

Unfortunately, there are a number of people in high level positions who should not be in them. This is old news and continues to drive excellent people away. Salaries for mos,t are only fair. Health insurance is only fair, at best. Not much room to advance.

Advice to Management

Why have so many great people left? The prevailing knowledge is that it's because they had terrible bosses, who are retained. Not a winning strategy!

"Good Opportunities to Support a Meaningful Mission"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glenview, IL

Pros

CHEST is a member organization of physicians and health care workers dedicated to the prevention and treatment of chest diseases around the world, and I enjoy working for an organization with such a meaningful mission. I work in marketing and communications and have the opportunity to interact with many departments across the organization, helping promote our simulation medical education courses, highly regarded medical journal, philanthropic work done through our foundation, and more. The work is varied and interesting. I have the opportunity to collaborate with teams of talented, motivated people as well as work independently. My ideas and opinions are respected. I’m encouraged to think creatively and try new things. The overall strategic goals for the organization are openly shared with staff, so I know exactly how my work contributes to the big picture.

The benefits are good. We have excellent medical insurance and a generous 401K matching plan. Professional development and continuing education are encouraged, and there’s education reimbursement for those pursuing degrees. Hours are flexible. Technology, office equipment, etc is very current and readily available to all staff.

Cons

The organization has undergone a great deal of growth and change recently, which has been difficult for some staff as roles and responsibilities shift. Morale in some departments has dropped, and that has resulted in turnover. Management recognizes there are issues, though, and is working to help staff navigate the changing environment. For example, they recently did a change management in service for the entire staff.

The workload can be intense with many projects and responsibilities to juggle. Personally, I like to be busy and don’t mind. And, my department coworkers are really great about lending a hand when needed.

Advice to Management

Continue working to identify and resolve issues that are roadblocks for staff. The majority of the staff is dedicated to the work of CHEST and wants to contribute. Continue to help them develop the professional and personal skills they need to succeed.

"My review of CHEST"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glenview, IL

I have been working at American College of Chest Physicians full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have enjoyed working for CHEST for the past 4 years or so. I have enjoyed the ability to work autonomously and really define my role and the area I am working in. We have a really great Marketing Communications team will talented, smart and engaging people. We enjoy our work and working with one another. Our department touches essentially every other area at CHEST and it is nice to see the work being done in education, simulation, publications, and the foundation. For a driven, hard working person, this organization is a great place.

We are also fortunate to work with amazing volunteers who are saving lives everyday. I personally work with really dedicated volunteers who are willing and able to make our work a success. And, they are a lot of fun.

The benefits are very good, especially for a non-profit. Educational reimbursement, flex scheduling, and 401(k) are all top notch.

Cons

The organization has gone through a lot of changes and this can be both good and bad. I do think there is increased awareness and steps being taken to help staff navigate the changes. It can be difficult to work in a quickly changing environment, but I do believe change is not unique to this organization.

As with most non-profits, you may have to manage several projects and wear many hats. I don’t mind this aspect, but some may not.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to staff and address concerns and problems head on. There has been a shift, especially lately, to really get to the root of the problem. Keep doing this. And, reward the people who are really moving the mission forward. You have a core of really dedicated people who want the organization to succeed. Treat them well and let them make things happen.

Jun 17, 2015 – Senior Social Media and PR Specialist

Thank you for your kind words. We look forward to continuing to make CHEST a great place to work!

"Run far, run fast."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL

Pros

The Innovation and Simulation Center is up and coming! Many hard working employees have passed through the college. The IT Department does a superb job at training on new technology.

Cons

Unstable environment. Extremely high employee turnover. Little advancement potential.

Jun 17, 2015 – Senior Social Media and PR Specialist

Thanks for taking the time to write this review. We are always looking for ways to improve and value your thoughts. We've shared your review with our leadership.

7. "communications specialist"

Pros

really nice people and fun atmosphere

Cons

some low morale and gossiping

Advice to Management

try harder to keep good people

"A mixed bag: the good and the bad"

Pros

The people are what make CHEST a tolerable place to work. They are fun and collaborative, to the extent that they can be (more on that below). The building is nice and new, just over a year old. To match the up-to-date building, staff utilizes current technology to get their jobs done. There are decent benefits including affordable health insurance and matching 401k.

Cons

There is a lack of transparency among those in leadership.

It is clear that the organization has a few "darlings" who are given opportunities first and foremost, without regards to merit. Outside favorites are also given an advantage. Those loyal employees who have a track record of success, but fall outside the favorites, are treated with disregard.

There is a clear hierarchy, played out in a way which seems some are "in" and some are "out."

There is a lot of turnover, throughout the organization. This impacts the continuity of workflow and institutional knowledge.

People are overworked and underpaid for the amount of work they are expected to do. While there is a collaborative spirit among colleagues, everyone's plates are so full that it is difficult to contribute to the team's mission, and it becomes isolating.

There is an over-utilization of consultants and outside contractors. Perhaps the company wouldn't cry "poor" if so much money weren't going to these outside groups.

Advice to Management

Wake up. You are losing talent at an alarming rate. Rather than blame people for leaving, look inwardly to ask why.

There's a difference between privacy and secrecy. Learn that very important distinction.

Give your employees a chance to meet the organization's needs, first, and reward them for doing so, before seeking assistance from the myriad of consultants. It is more fiscally responsible to add full-time staff rather than pay exorbitant amounts to consultants.

Jun 17, 2015 – Senior Social Media and PR Specialist

"It is time for the board to make a change"

I have been working at American College of Chest Physicians full-time

Pros

Some of the people are absolutely wonderful, and will create a family like atmosphere. Some policies, such as work from home, can be a benefit when implemented consistently. Some of the work can be challenging and potentially a growth potential. There are some hard workers in the organization, who deserve much praise.

Cons

What used to be a collaborative environment has quickly deteriorated into a kill or be killed mentality. The aforementioned growth potential will not occur within the organization, but will only be of benefit if you leave (like many have done- either by their own accord or because they were forced out). Individuals are promoted to senior roles without merit or skills, and some within upper level positions use their status to browbeat those who they feel are beneath them. Those same individuals are kept in these positions without the capabilities to maintain them, and HR continually looks the other way when bad behavior occurs. Some staff is kept on board for years despite being continual underperformers or having a bad attitude. The CEO seems more interested in tweeting compliments about his suit, his BMW, or 5 star accomodations than being a good leader.

Advice to Management

It is time for someone to go to the board to tell them to save the organization they care about, or at least realize that those who remain are trying to save a sinking ship with a spoon.

Jun 17, 2015 – Senior Social Media and PR Specialist

Thank you for taking time to provide this feedback. We are always looking for opportunities to improve and we have taken your feedback to our leadership.

"Run away"

Pros

None really. The building is nice, people are generally gossipy but friendly. Company does allow work for home if you are nice about it.

Cons

Terrible terrible leadership. Words like "management" and "process design" etc are thrown around freely. Not one person has a clue what it is. No one really knows what anyone else in the company does. Job descriptions and actual work are poles apart. systems running the business are from the 70s as are most of the folk. The CEO and others spend way too much money on initiatives that serve no purpose and further kick the company into the grave. Benefits have been slashed to pay for incompetence and lack of planning. For an organization that focuses on education, most of the senior leadership barely has a college degree. Titles and promotions are given to unworthy individuals. The CEO propagates a culture of fear and coterie and people not qualified to manage a lemonade stand become senior Vice Presidents and directors. Everything is a reaction and there is complete absence of planning. The education department is filled with divas with their own agendas. Gossip and cooler talk are rampant. HR is non existent, has no real ideas and has no voice in the organization. Run far far away and fast from this organization...

Advice to Management

Resign. You have no skills and are burying talented people along with the company. The education department is your money maker. The people currently running it have no ideas, solutions or prescriptions on what they should be doing to turn the division around. Demand 6 month implementation plans from each dept head including the CEO. Hire competent instruction and education management talent vs pushing out people because you think they're a threat to your position. You have completely ignored what your organization goals are and how you serve your members.

Jun 17, 2015 – Senior Social Media and PR Specialist

Thank you for your thoughts on your experience at CHEST. Please know we value your feedback and have shared your review with our leadership.

"Nice place to work!"

Pros

Growing and changing organization. Great new office, nice work / life balance. Very few work late or are expected to. Work from home is offered. Time off is very flexible.

Cons

CEO has made a lot of changes over the last 5 years that some of the staff have a hard time adjusting to. Staff want to be recognized and promoted but not always willing to put in the effort needed. Post about vendors and consultants is false. If staff were doing what needed to be accomplished, there would be no need for external support. Post on this page are from disgruntled employees.