American Constructors Reviews | Glassdoor

American Constructors Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2019

4.1
American Constructors President Bill Heine (no image)
Bill Heine
  1. "Testimonial for a Career Opportunity"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at American Constructors full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

American is a business owned and operated in Central Texas. I started working here because I wanted to limit my work to this area and spend more time with my family. The work is challenging and provides leaders with opportunities to develop their skills, and use their initiative and self-motivation to establish their own career progression. We pride ourselves by thinking out of the box, and use our experience to guide owners and design teams - delivering sustainable projects safely, on time and within budget. Most of our clients are long term customers and we care for their facilities as they were our own.

Cons

The industry needs good people at all levels. American is a long-term opportunity for those seeking a career, continuing education and stable employment.

American Constructors2018-07-24
  2. "Good Company But Needs Some Housekeeping"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Cedar Park, TX

I worked at American Constructors full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is a great company with a lot of compassionate people who really care. They try to maintain a family like atmosphere. They seem to be honest and hard-working.

Cons

Like every company there are a few bad apples and there doesn't seem to be a system in place to correct that behavior, which can lead to poor morale. They could use some work streamlining process and proceedures within HR and software for their employees. Not many opportunities for advancement and will be selected by management to move up, vs opening up roles to everyone for interviews. Not very competitive in company culture/lifestyle and wellness benefits.

American Constructors2019-07-25

"Great Company to Work For!"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at American Constructors full-time for less than a year

Pros

Every single person I have met while working at American has been honest, hardworking, and upstanding. When I first got here, I hardly knew anything about construction, but that quickly changed with the help of my PM and Superintendents. Each and every one of them will take the time to teach you and bring you up to speed on anything that is unclear. They are all great teachers!

Cons

As with any job in the construction industry, you are almost guaranteed to work more than 40 hours per week. The commute to/from work can sometimes be long, depending on the location of the job site and where you live.

American Constructors2018-07-20
  4. "rather not say"

I have been working at American Constructors full-time

Pros

This is a good and stable place to work.

Cons

Sometimes too conservative and require higher level approval and some simple items.

American Constructors2018-08-03
  5. "Field Engineer"

Current Employee - Field Engineer in Cedar Park, TX

I have been working at American Constructors full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very dynamic work environment. Mentors and other employees within American Constructors are willing to teach and provide guidance when needed. Field Engineers are given responsibilities that allow them the opportunity to use critical thinking skills and make on the spot decisions. American Constructors fosters a work environment that encourages employees to seek guidance and further education to grow professionally. I believe this is a very family oriented company that genuinely cares about their employees.

Cons

Projects are fast paced and often require long working hours during the week and some weekends.

American Constructors2018-07-23
  6. "Great company to work for"

I have been working at American Constructors full-time

Pros

Family oriented, hard working, kind employees.The executive team works very hard to maintain and retain employees with many perks like annual company picnics, company parties, employee happy hours. They do their best to keep everyone content and connected.

Cons

I do not really have any cons at this time. I have been treated more than fairly and provided the resources and flexibility to accomplish my job.

American Constructors2018-06-12
  7. "Field Engineer"

I have been working at American Constructors full-time

Pros

Fast paced, never boring, they throw you into the fire very quickly. Learn by trial and learn very quickly. Crazy the amount I learned about construction in a year.

Cons

The hours can be a little long, pay seems a little lower than average. Work can be far away at times.

American Constructors2017-10-03
  8. "Great company to work for!"

Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Austin, TX

I worked at American Constructors for more than a year

Pros

American in a great company run by quality people. They value their employees and are constantly growing.

Cons

If you are looking for a company that lets you move around and see the country American obviously isn't for you. The Austin area is great and if you're looking to stay in one place it is a perfect option.

American Constructors2017-09-14

"Project Management"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at American Constructors

Pros

The recruiters Grant and Cody are very nice and personable people, ACI couldn't ask for better people to represent the company and select talent. The company payed well with plenty of opportunity for overtime. All the field workers were very great to work with and a few in the office (project managers) as well.

Cons

The training program generated by the company looks good on paper but only works as well as the mentor willing to follow through. It seemed like there was no preparation before my arrival and minimal interest to provide any real relevant professional experience/training throughout my 3 months. 90 % of the time I ended up working with the construction crew out in the field, which I liked and previously did for many years but not going to school for that. Plus, some of the kids working as field engineers and project managers are exactly that kids who are arrogant, standoffish, and probably never have picked up a hammer. Too many weekly hours for the permanent employees on salary.

American Constructors2017-05-05

"Gallagher Construction services- intern"

Former Intern - Intern - Hourly

I worked at American Constructors for less than a year

Pros

I was paid decently. There was plenty of demand for employees. Dedicated leadership. Small company so it's not hard to know everyone.

Cons

Not good relations throughout the company. The office women and field crews are very condescending. Very bad company dynamic. All they do is talk down about eachother.

American Constructors2017-02-15

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 16 reviews