American Council on Exercise Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Marketing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at American Council on Exercise full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great employee culture, great benefits. Really seem to care about employees and helping them achieve their best. Mission driven company in the fitness industry. They have good, caring leadership and care about work-life balance for everyone. Very well run, even though they are a non-profit, they are self-funded and do a good job managing their budget so they are stable financially.

Cons

It's a small company, less than 100 employees - not a lot of room to move up.

2. "Certified Personal Trainer"

Former Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer
    Former Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer

Pros

This was a great job to do some freelance work in to make extra money

Cons

Unsteady hours and at times difficult to find and keep clients

3. "Personal Trainer"

Former Employee - Personal Trainer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer in San Diego, CA

I worked at American Council on Exercise (More than a year)

Pros

Great access to top research in the health and fitness industry.

Cons

No cons to speak of.

5. "American Council on Exercise"

Current Employee - Certified Personal Trainer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Certified Personal Trainer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at American Council on Exercise part-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a plethora of information at the tip of your fingers online and in their issues of Fitness Journal. You can always increase your knowledge and status by taking online classes or by attending conferences. Friendly customer service is just a phone call away.

Cons

At times specifics are lost in translation but one can always call to get clarification. If it is not on the page some may expect you to figure it out.

6. "Great Job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Pros

Great Benefits, Flex Time, Casual Dress

Cons

No cons at this time.

7. "ACE Rock"

I have been working at American Council on Exercise full-time

Pros

Amazing co-workers. Awesome perks. Gym that rocks! Benefits are more than you could ever wish for.

Cons

Forced to take an hour lunch. Salary could be higher.

Advice to Management

No advice needed, management is great!

"Great Company"

Former Employee - Software Developer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in San Diego, CA

I worked at American Council on Exercise full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company does not expect more than 40 hours out of you, and is a superb group to work for. I worked under David Fischer and I can say he was one of the best team leads I have ever had. David is a level-headed, genuine, kind individual.

Lots of great people. Everyone is wonderful. Good sense of humor and great work/life balance.

Cons

Moving up in roles can be challenging and sometimes dangerous depending on which part of the company you work in.

On tech side it can be harder to gain trust and access to more complicated projects.

Marketing needs to work on validation of business ideas before pushing tech too far down rabbit holes.

Advice to Management

Management was great.

"Happy Camper"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at American Council on Exercise full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I currently work here, and I love it! There have been lots of changes in my tenure, but that comes with any company of any size. The leadership is supportive and really cares about the employees. They pay for my insurance which is a huge help, and my manager is very supportive. There's a free gym, car washes, dry cleaning and shipping all onsite, which makes errands very convenient. I I'm a happy camper!

Cons

We are all spread a little too thin sometimes, but that comes with growing pains I think, and we've grown a lot since I started here!

Advice to Management

Remember that communication is important and never lose the concern for your staff. They make all your money.

"A good place to work even if you're not interested in a fitness-related career"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at American Council on Exercise full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent mission; good executive team; good work environment; people are very nice, friendly and easy to get along with. Sometimes the work is extremely interesting and engaging, other times - not so much (but that's life)

Cons

Lack of career development; very top-down direction - not much interactive or organic collaboration between all levels of employees; limited sick time - only 5 days/year with no long-term accrual - very limiting

Advice to Management

Create a system for developing and promoting internal talent

11. "What used to be a wonderful place to work, now completely lost - such a shame"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at American Council on Exercise full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great mission and area of work where you feel like you are making a difference in the lives of others, interesting and meaningful subject matter, small company in good and central location, decent benefits and fair pay, ability to make an impact even if you are not in a management level, was once thought of as a wonderful place to work (people loved their jobs, a true team environment and fun place to work, challenging work and respectful coworkers) - formerly anyway

Cons

A new executive leader was hired that completely changed the environment and leads by fear, Now negative and distrusting, a huge percentage of employees at every level of the company have jumped ship or been fired to include many of the top performers if they were not willing to become a follower of the new regime, Very distrusting work environment, overall sense of people hating coming to work each day. CEO is not strong leader.

Advice to Management

Was hoping to hear things had gotten better but so sad no improvement. Remember the good ol days - when you had a positive work environment your revenues prospered. You had a great team. It's not too late, and it's amazing the impact one person can have - to include if you remove them from the situation.