American Cruise Lines Reviews | Glassdoor

American Cruise Lines Reviews

Updated March 25, 2019

3.6

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "It is also a great opportunity to save money as room and board are completely free" (in 14 reviews)

• "It was a great way to save money and see different parts of our country" (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • "Extremely long hours and away from home" (in 48 reviews)

• "Being away from home, but you get used to it" (in 11 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Captain"

Current Employee - Captain
    Current Employee - Captain

I have been working at American Cruise Lines full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pros: I have been a Captain for ACL for the past 8 years. The company offers opportunities to operate brand new ships in some of the most interesting and beautiful waters of the US. We visit great ports on both coast, Alaska and the Mississippi River system. Our quarters are large and comfortable and our meals are prepared by our chef. Our passengers are from diverse and successful backgrounds. I have met Senators, Admirals, Scientists and even “A List” actors. We follow the season with our routes which provides changing operation areas and keeps it interesting.

Cons

As with all professional mariners, time away from home and family. (ACL allows our wives to sail with us when they have the opportunity which alleviates some this).

Aug 16, 2018 – Recruiter

On behalf of American Cruise Lines we thank you for taking the time to provide us with positive feedback. We are glad to hear that you are enjoying your time while sailing the beautiful riverways of... More

2. "Wonderful work environment"

Current Employee - Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Operations Manager

I have been working at American Cruise Lines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Paid travel
    good training
    fun work atmosphere

Cons

A lot of time away from home

3. "Great, but tiresome experience"

Former Employee - Housekeeper in The Dalles, OR
    Former Employee - Housekeeper in The Dalles, OR

I worked at American Cruise Lines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Having come from the concrete jungle, being able to travel to and spend 4 months along the snake and Columbia river great to experience. Thankfully, I worked along side a crew that was fun to spend 4 months. Day in and day out with (I've heard plenty of horrific bunk mate stories). And lastly, being able to save just about every penny penny you make is a sweet incentive.

Cons

Be prepared to work extensively. The days are long and if you're not accustomed to long hard hours for weeks or months on end, this might not be the job for you.

4. "Ok job to have"

I have been working at American Cruise Lines part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Money is always a plus

Cons

Time away from family is long

Mar 26, 2019 – Recruiter

Thank you for leaving us a review! We appreciate all of your contributions to the American Cruise Line team.

"Great way to meet new people"

Former Employee - Server in Juneau, AK
    Former Employee - Server in Juneau, AK

I worked at American Cruise Lines part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Learned communication and how to communicate with others, this experience was also a great way to be money smart and learn some smart spending skills, Networking with the guests was a great way to learn about more opportunities, Adventures off and on port, Friendships were long lasting even after 3 months of working

Cons

Late-Nights can be draining and eventually take toll, Training before being onboard wasn’t as efficient as new people joined the crew in the later months of the season

Advice to Management

Alaska June- October was an amazing and trying experience, great job on management from Vada, Nico, Toni, and Mikaela! Miss you all -Whit

"Dining Steward"

Former Employee - Dining Steward in Puget, WA
    Former Employee - Dining Steward in Puget, WA

I worked at American Cruise Lines part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Travel, friendships, pay, and the challenge you have with yourself to get every day finished successfully! Very tiring job, so well worth it with the right mind set. Don’t give up, it’s only 4 months!

Cons

I try to not look at the cons of the job because I learned so much about myself, I have visited the friends that I made on the boats already in their hometowns, and it was just a great experience for me, personally!

Advice to Management

Most of the management knows what we’re in for on a day to day basis- they hardly get breaks the same as us. Just take it easy sometimes, we are all in it together and knew what we had to get done in time and to meet trainers requirements.

Mar 26, 2019 – Recruiter

We are happy to hear that you had the opportunity to grow personally and professionally while onboard. The friends you make while working on our team will last a lifetime! We appreciate your feedback... More

7. "Quality over Quanity"

I worked at American Cruise Lines full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to Travel
    Flexible Schedule
    Work Experience
    SAVE MONEY
    Perfect job for a WORKAHOLIC

Cons

TOO FOCUSED ON SALES from Corporate Office; Quality is not the GOAL.
    Revenue Driven company with no genuine goal of quality
    Under paid,
    Overworked 20 hour days 6-15 weeks straight
    Home Office/ Onboard Staff require stronger communication
    When you're on the boat there is no FREE TIME.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees, focus on quality over quantity and the revenue come with great quality. You lost a dedicated employee... Communication between ship and office need to be developed! Invest in your employees and be supportive.

8. "Housekeeper"

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Englewood, CO

I worked at American Cruise Lines part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It’s like having family away from home, you get tips everyday on top of your paychecks, and you save a lot of money.

Cons

the first couple of weeks are tough. Getting adjusted to the new sleep pattern and getting use to being on a moving boat

Advice to Management

Keep being great

Dec 18, 2018 – Recruiter

It is great to hear you were able to meet your family away from home while onboard with American Cruise Lines while also saving money. Thank you for your feedback!

9. "Star performer"

Former Employee - Logistics Specialist in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Logistics Specialist in Hartford, CT

I worked at American Cruise Lines (Less than a year)

Pros

The Travel,Work Experience,The Leadership,Diversity,Opportunity and Team Work-These are some of the Qualities you will occur as well as the people you will meet.While have fun working aboard American Cruise Line.

Cons

There aren,t many,Limited time ashore,Not enough port,s.Too SHORT a SEASON

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing and don,t forget to call me about my opportunity for advancement.

Nov 30, 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you taking the time to leave us a review and for all of your hard work this year! We are happy to hear you enjoyed traveling and your work experience onboard. Please keep a close eye on... More

10. "Worst company I've ever worked for."

Former Employee - Server/Waiter in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Server/Waiter in New York, NY

I worked at American Cruise Lines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Puts you in a position to save money. Challenges your abilities in the work environment, due to extremely long work weeks with zero break time.

Cons

This company does not give a damn. About you. Your health. Your family. Your well being.
    The management is awful and has little to no prior experience in the fields that they have their positions in. They are only management because they finished a low level degree in something that is COMPLETELY unrelated to restaraunt/hospitality management. I've opened and managed multi million dollar restaurants in Orlando, Dallas and Denver. I understand guest relations, team coordination, coaching and development, and every single aspect that should be present in a hospitality management team. Unfortunately every single aspect is missing amongst American cruise line management teams. all in all. If you know you're a person who is looking to be developed and grow and be cared for in the work place.... Save yourself a bunch of time. Don't consider ACL.

Advice to Management

Just care for your employees. Try to develop the tiniest amount of understanding for your people. The boat I was on (the Constitution) had seen 112 servers from when it first set sail to the time I left.... Only 7 had seen their commitments all the way through. Wouldn't it be better for everybody involved if you cared the tiniest bit for your employees? Which would increase retention rates? Which would make servers happier? Which in turn would create more enjoyable, memorable experiences for your guests? Take care of your people.