American Cruise Lines Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 8, 2018

Full-timePart-time

3.3

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • It is also a great opportunity to save money as room and board are completely free (in 13 reviews)

• It was a great way to save money and see different parts of our country (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours but you are made well aware of this in the interview process (in 38 reviews)

• As with all professional mariners, time away from home and family (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Captain"

Current Employee - Captain
    Current Employee - Captain

I have been working at American Cruise Lines full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pros: I have been a Captain for ACL for the past 8 years. The company offers opportunities to operate brand new ships in some of the most interesting and beautiful waters of the US. We visit great ports on both coast, Alaska and the Mississippi River system. Our quarters are large and comfortable and our meals are prepared by our chef. Our passengers are from diverse and successful backgrounds. I have met Senators, Admirals, Scientists and even “A List” actors. We follow the season with our routes which provides changing operation areas and keeps it interesting.

Cons

As with all professional mariners, time away from home and family. (ACL allows our wives to sail with us when they have the opportunity which alleviates some this).

2. "Perfect"

Former Employee - Food Server in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Food Server in Boston, MA

I worked at American Cruise Lines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was awesome I would recommend

Cons

No cons everything about the job was perfect

"Captain"

Current Employee - Captain in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Captain in Boston, MA

I have been working at American Cruise Lines part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-American Cruise Lines (ACL) is a superb place to launch a career or to work part-time after completing a maritime career. The company is great to work for if you don’t mind no-nonsense, hard-work and would enjoy a challenging, captivating mission. ACL is growing very fast, creating many job opportunities with its tried-and-true business model at its foundation. It is very motivating to be part of this maritime, economic American success story. I’m sure there is no better place for a aspiring mariner to learn and grow aboard highly capable, new and exciting under-100 gross ton vessels.
    -The locations to which you are assigned are exceptional as they are all selected as the most unique and desirable attractions to cruise. The ships are shallow draft, so they can also go places the large ships cannot. Similarly, the crew and passengers are the best. Crewmembers are young, sincere, and hard-working people, who pick up a lot of skills fast, and work well in their jobs and cross-functionally as well. The passengers are well-established retirees who have accomplished much and are extremely interesting; they are great examples of how to live. The passengers quickly learn to love the crewmembers in a grandparent-like way.
    -Finally, the Director of Marine Operations is who all those “on-deck” work for and he is top-notch. He is highly experienced and knows well the challenges that sailors experience. He also shows great concern for employees professional development and advancement. He provides great additional motivation for me to continue working at ACL. I also might add that Captain’s spouses are often/usually always allowed to sail with them. In sum, you work hard in a motivating mission in nice places with great people. (I placed this same review on indeed.com too!)

Cons

Not for the person who does not want to work hard and learn,

Advice to Management

Continue to grow the company wisely.

"Welcoming Work-Environment"

Current Employee - Recruiter
    Current Employee - Recruiter

I have been working at American Cruise Lines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been at American Cruise Lines for some time now and have had nothing but a great experience. All of my co-workers are very helpful, willing to listen to my suggestions and give me more responsibilities while answering any questions I may have. Also, being a recruiter allows me to interview and meet so many different people from across the country! ACL has given myself and many other employees the opportunity to grow and absorb essential information that will be useful in my professional career. I am excited to see what the future holds at ACL!

Cons

During the cruise season we have a lot of applicants, so it can cause stress trying to find quality candidates. However, all recruiters are properly trained when they start working to make sure that we have the best methods to select the right people on board. Challenging role, but extremely rewarding when hearing how pleased our guests are with our crew members.

"A Company Ripe With Opportunity"

I have been working at American Cruise Lines full-time

Pros

It's been exciting to be part of such a rapidly growing company and vibrant community of employees. I’ve experienced a tremendous amount of professional and personal growth in the short time I’ve been with the company, with the expectation that even more opportunities await me here. Not to mention the relationships I’ve forged here have been invaluable. It really is a great team of individuals and they’ve made my time at American Cruise Lines that much more enriching.

Cons

The most challenging aspect of working with a growing company is that roles shift quickly and frequently. If you’re flexible and can adapt easily to new tasks, it can be an opportunity to learn new things and be exposed to different aspects of the business. But it can often be frustrating to be responsible for tasks outside of your role or, in some cases, department, in addition to your own workload.

"Great company!"

Current Employee - Marketing
    Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at American Cruise Lines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great, hard working people with the determination to help maintain and improve a rapidly growing company. I have had the opportunity to grow as an employee and gain experience in field of work. Love being able to work with multiple people and departments. Some great benefits and good times at the office!

Cons

The company is growing so quickly that office space, culture and communication could be improved at times.

7. "This is a Company for Rising Stars Who Enjoy Great People and Hard Work!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Guilford, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Guilford, CT

I worked at American Cruise Lines full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Customers are wonderful and fascinating people. The ports you get to see are the best on the east coast. A fast moving environment where you get to experience lots of opportunity and witness a company undergoing amazing growth. Colleagues that I worked with became lifelong friends.

Cons

The cruise line world attracts a lot of free spirited and sometimes strange employees. As I read through the cons, I recognize that they mostly come from people who are not a good fit for the mission of American Cruise Lines. If you aren't good with people (customers), building relationships (colleagues), and can't handle hard work, you will quickly realize that you are not a good fit.

Advice to Management

Keep building your employee training for your top personnel. Your customers will continue to love you for it and it will weed out the wrong employees and applicants.

"DO IT"

Former Employee - Food Server
    Former Employee - Food Server

I worked at American Cruise Lines part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked with the company May of last year. Everything they said it would be, it was. It is hard work, but so rewarding when you get to see all the sights.

Cons

It is hard work!! They let you know this and tell you repeatedly. You work about 12 hour days as a temporary hire, which is what I was.

"Love Being a Part of the ACL Family"

Current Employee - Marketing Assistant in Guilford, CT
    Current Employee - Marketing Assistant in Guilford, CT

I have been working at American Cruise Lines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I cannot say enough about how supportive the different teams are here in Guilford, CT. There is a significant amount of time spent working with other teams such as sales, recruiting, operations, and more. You learn a lot about each co-worker in your first few weeks at the company, because you get so much exposure to the company as whole. I have most recently joined the company as a Marketing Assistant and I couldn’t be happier with where I am at. Every single day I am presented with challenges and opportunities that help me to gain knowledge in the field of marketing. The work done here is extremely collaborative. It always helps to be at a company that is continuously growing as well considering we have new ships currently being built. Hearing of our guests’ satisfaction with each of their cruises makes this job rewarding and all worthwhile.

Cons

The only thing that I can think of is the lack of space in our building in Guilford…. Which by no means is a bad thing with all of the growth that we are experiencing!

"Fast-Paced Environment, Many Opportunities for Employees"

Current Employee - Marketing in Guilford, CT
    Current Employee - Marketing in Guilford, CT

I have been working at American Cruise Lines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Due to the small number of employees at ACL and the growth the company has experienced over the past few years, employees are given many opportunities to make a tangible impact on the business. While larger companies are often bogged down by process, new ideas and projects can be pitched and implemented quickly here. Furthermore, there is a lot of room for employees to take on new responsibilities, gain experience, and further their careers. Work/life balance is also favorable.

Cons

The work pace can be very quick at times and most employees take on multiple responsibilities that do not perfectly align with their job title. Projects and objectives can change quickly as well which can be very stressful.