American Cruise Lines Reviews | Glassdoor

American Cruise Lines Reviews

Updated September 8, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Another reason was room and board and food was payed for (in 12 reviews)

• You definitely have a great chance to save money by living aboard (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours, get new managers periodically (in 31 reviews)

• As a steward, you work anywhere from 12-16 hours a day (in 9 reviews)

1. "Steward"

I have been working at American Cruise Lines (Less than a year)

Pros

fast hiring process, the recruiter was very easy to talk to

Cons

communication was a bit confusing at times

2. "If you're overweight don't even think about applying"

I have been working at American Cruise Lines part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to go to Connecticut and train at a crappy hotel for not even two hours of your day . And free food ( that's not the best either ) paid training .

Cons

Interviewed with someone . Traveled there. Trained only to be rejected two weeks later after you were told you're guaranteed to get a part . And if you were overweight like the only two people who DIDNT get the job. Then you have no luck and don't even think about applying.

Advice to Management

Stop being fake please . And tell people what they want to hear . Don't lie . And not all overweight people aren't active .

3. "Small Ship River Cruising - Cruise Specialist"

Former Employee - Cruise Specialist in Sandy, UT
    Former Employee - Cruise Specialist in Sandy, UT

I worked at American Cruise Lines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A fun product to sell, small ship river cruising.

Cons

Uneven sales commission. You are penalized or cheated out of your "full commission" if you are not in a top tier.

Advice to Management

Pay commissions that are the same whether you are having a good week or not so good week. If you want to reward top sales people offer them a quarterly or yearly bonus that averages out better if they have a low sales week.

"DON'T!"

Pros

Good food and the chiefs are amazing! There isn't nothing pro about this job. Listen to the reviews an save yourself before it's to late.

Cons

Everything. This job isn't anything they were making it to be. I just got off the Mississippi ship all America and I literally cried at least twice a day. Don't waste your time YOU don't get time to get off the ship if you do it's for an hour. Barley get time to sleep. It's NOT WORTH IT!!!!!

Advice to Management

Good luck.

5. "Hotel Service Member (Steward)"

I have been working at American Cruise Lines full-time

Pros

Meeting people, no overhead, seeing ports

Cons

Tedious work, no time off, nothing to do.

Advice to Management

Management should maybe know how to manage before becoming a manager. Could have done their job a million times better.

"Former Housekeeping Manager. Terribly run company. Take what you can get, and leave the rest."

Former Employee - Housekeeping Manager
    Former Employee - Housekeeping Manager

I worked at American Cruise Lines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Travel. But even when you are in port, you are so exhausted and its 9/10pm at night until you can get off the boat. Also, the experience, I absolutely LOVED what I did and have a great passion for it. I have great, great memories on the boat that I can never replace, along with some fantastic friends. But there's so much I want to improve in the company and with housekeeping standards and procedures, but even for me, there's a time to call it quits.

Cons

1) Housekeeping managers are not paid very well, we do the same amount of work, if not more than Assistant Hotel Managers. Its a shame. There is no HR department, so want a raise? good luck, get it in writing.

2) There is no corporate trainer/employee that has a housekeeping background that I know of. I wanted them to be safe, take care of themselves, and be educated about their safety in regards to manual labor, chemicals, and sanitation. When I pushed corporate for more documentation for stewards....no response. It is not their priority at the moment. It will take something bad happening until they get better safety training.

3) There's a saying on the boats that they will hire 'warm bodies'. Stewards do an incredible job on the ships, hands down, it's the reason guests are happy. But if I have stewards with several bipolar episodes? and an officer sleeping with a steward, creating a toxic work environment for everyone? Just a slap on the wrist, if that. Some stewards are SO toxic to everyone they are around, its terrible...but to get them off the ship, nearly impossible.

4) Again, NO HR department. Stewards and officers have no where to turn for complaints.

5) As officers on the ship, we give our hearts out to praising stewards and creating team building activities and crew nights. But there is no management acknowledgment. The only thing the company cares about is rebookings, truely. Things going terrific on the ship but no rebookings? We get pressure from higher up to keep pushing, even becoming obnoxious at times with how we have to push. Things goes awful on the ship but great rebookings? We are wonderful!

6) No advancement. Stewards can be promoted to managers, but I highly discourage it. Stewards who have zero management experience, zero safety training in food or housekeeping, are given positions. Bad idea, very bad. I have yet to seen a successful steward turned manager.

7) CEO is religious about reading guest comments, which he should. But how many employees has he talked with? Where are the employee comments he should be reading? He is severely out of touch with the employees on the boat.

8) I could go on, but trust the reviews you read, although they are heated. Corporate encouraged us to write good reviews on here. If it were a good company, I would have done that. Not saying there are not great people working here, but the company's structure is just not redeemable.

Advice to Management

The company grew too fast, and corporate isn't keeping up. They are missing key elements of success, which is take care of your employees and they will take care of your guests, HR department, documentation, safety training, and so on. Get a very serious HR department. You already had one class action lawsuit against you, I'm sure there will be another. But you already know deckhands don't follow the IMO/CFR guidelines.

"wen't through hell for three months"

Former Employee - GALLEY STEWARD
    Former Employee - GALLEY STEWARD

I worked at American Cruise Lines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

mostly great coworkers, didn't pay room and board

Cons

I could write a five page essay! first off, I worked as galley Steward on the America for three months. When i applied and after I was hired for this position it was specified I would be working up to 12 hours a day. In actuality galley stewards work between 13 and 17 hours with little to no sleep, 5 hours at most, seven days a week. Galley Stewards on this boat unfortunately rarely ever get to get off the boat and explore the places we traveled to. Galley stewards also have the hardest job on the boat, this job is no joke. It's very labor intensive. You will lift heavy garbage cans multiple times a day, wash hundreds of dishes at the pots and pan sink, and wash hundreds of plates at the dish machine and during service the air will get cut off so you will be working in 90 degree heat. Everyone treats you like a maid so the chefs will make your job harder by giving you various tasks to complete (cleaning up after them) while you are doing your own job. throughout my three months working here every single galley quit, with the exception of two who got fired and one who finished his contract. had i not desperately needed the money i would have quit a long time ago but I was fired so they beat me to the punch. I was so sleep deprived that my hands were numb, swollen, and tingling every morning due to poor circulation. This company should be shut down for exploiting young people who are the only ones willing to take this job and work like slaves for poor wages, cramped crew quarters, and zero sleep. Now run and tell that!

8. "Unfortunate"

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at American Cruise Lines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice staff, beautiful itineraries, supposed benefits, 401k, dental, medical, base wage and commission, office supplies are provided, bonuses that can be achieved

Cons

Not as described, unusually high expectations, training was minimal, details that are easy to miss and are not highlighted in training

9. "Truth."

I worked at American Cruise Lines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free meals. Nice coworkers. That's pretty much it.

Cons

Every single day was a struggle there. You literally work from 6am until around 8pm every single day of the week. Everyone there are miserable. The managers. The Galley staff. The Stewards. It's absolutely horrible. Many people quit within their first week, but you absolutely cannot blame them. Those who stick it out have a high tolerance for BS. That's the only reason they are there. I won't go into detail because there is too much to tell. The company itself is rotting from the inside out and is a horrible representation of the hospitality industry. The only real benefit of having this job is that it'll make you appreciate every other job you take on for the rest of your life. Oh! And it'll look nice on your resume and make for a great story later on in life.

Advice to Management

Quit. They don't deserve you. Or stick it out. It's up to you.

10. "Could afford to improve"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Guilford, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Guilford, CT

I worked at American Cruise Lines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Acknowledged employees by having an ice cream or pizza truck every so often.

Out on the field - Employees working on the ships as Deckhands and Stewards enjoyed traveling & working with others from different states; it was a neat experience for them. They were able to leave their city/town for 3 months and then come with money saved up.

Cons

Internally - Resigned from a company I was with for 6 years to accept an internal position at American Cruise Lines to only find out that I was laid off in less than a year because the ships were done for the season; wish I was informed of this before making the decision to make the move. No warning, just walked me out as if I did something horribly.

The CEO of this company is demeaning & has embarrassed me in front of others on more than one occasion during meetings to the point that people looked at each other wondering, "Did he really just say that?"

When the Queen of Mississippi was ready to staff, management informed recruiters to only hire blondes and no one over a size 12 because they wouldn't be able to fit in between the aisles when serving food.

A lot of chiefs, not enough Indians. Their trainer was sending nude photos to female coworkers via cell but was put on a pedestal. 1st time being laid off from a company and one that I have regretted.

Advice to Management

Be honest with employees when hiring and hire equally