American Cruise Lines Reviews | Glassdoor

American Cruise Lines Reviews

Updated January 7, 2019

3.5

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "It is also a great opportunity to save money as room and board are completely free" (in 14 reviews)

• "It was a great way to save money and see different parts of our country" (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours however, you get multiple breaks with free meals" (in 45 reviews)

• "Being away from home, but you get used to it" (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Captain"

Current Employee - Captain
    Current Employee - Captain

I have been working at American Cruise Lines full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pros: I have been a Captain for ACL for the past 8 years. The company offers opportunities to operate brand new ships in some of the most interesting and beautiful waters of the US. We visit great ports on both coast, Alaska and the Mississippi River system. Our quarters are large and comfortable and our meals are prepared by our chef. Our passengers are from diverse and successful backgrounds. I have met Senators, Admirals, Scientists and even “A List” actors. We follow the season with our routes which provides changing operation areas and keeps it interesting.

Cons

As with all professional mariners, time away from home and family. (ACL allows our wives to sail with us when they have the opportunity which alleviates some this).

Aug 16, 2018 – Recruiter

On behalf of American Cruise Lines we thank you for taking the time to provide us with positive feedback. We are glad to hear that you are enjoying your time while sailing the beautiful riverways of... More

2. "Dining Steward"

Former Employee - Dining Steward in Puget, WA
    Former Employee - Dining Steward in Puget, WA

I worked at American Cruise Lines part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Travel, friendships, pay, and the challenge you have with yourself to get every day finished successfully! Very tiring job, so well worth it with the right mind set. Don’t give up, it’s only 4 months!

Cons

I try to not look at the cons of the job because I learned so much about myself, I have visited the friends that I made on the boats already in their hometowns, and it was just a great experience for me, personally!

Advice to Management

Most of the management knows what we’re in for on a day to day basis- they hardly get breaks the same as us. Just take it easy sometimes, we are all in it together and knew what we had to get done in time and to meet trainers requirements.

3. "Quality over Quanity"

I worked at American Cruise Lines full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to Travel
    Flexible Schedule
    Work Experience
    SAVE MONEY
    Perfect job for a WORKAHOLIC

Cons

TOO FOCUSED ON SALES from Corporate Office; Quality is not the GOAL.
    Revenue Driven company with no genuine goal of quality
    Under paid,
    Overworked 20 hour days 6-15 weeks straight
    Home Office/ Onboard Staff require stronger communication
    When you're on the boat there is no FREE TIME.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees, focus on quality over quantity and the revenue come with great quality. You lost a dedicated employee... Communication between ship and office need to be developed! Invest in your employees and be supportive.

4. "Housekeeper"

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Englewood, CO

I worked at American Cruise Lines part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It’s like having family away from home, you get tips everyday on top of your paychecks, and you save a lot of money.

Cons

the first couple of weeks are tough. Getting adjusted to the new sleep pattern and getting use to being on a moving boat

Advice to Management

Keep being great

Dec 18, 2018 – Recruiter

It is great to hear you were able to meet your family away from home while onboard with American Cruise Lines while also saving money. Thank you for your feedback!

5. "Star performer"

Former Employee - Logistics Specialist in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Logistics Specialist in Hartford, CT

I worked at American Cruise Lines (Less than a year)

Pros

The Travel,Work Experience,The Leadership,Diversity,Opportunity and Team Work-These are some of the Qualities you will occur as well as the people you will meet.While have fun working aboard American Cruise Line.

Cons

There aren,t many,Limited time ashore,Not enough port,s.Too SHORT a SEASON

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing and don,t forget to call me about my opportunity for advancement.

Nov 30, 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you taking the time to leave us a review and for all of your hard work this year! We are happy to hear you enjoyed traveling and your work experience onboard. Please keep a close eye on... More

6. "Worst company I've ever worked for."

Former Employee - Server/Waiter in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Server/Waiter in New York, NY

I worked at American Cruise Lines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Puts you in a position to save money. Challenges your abilities in the work environment, due to extremely long work weeks with zero break time.

Cons

This company does not give a damn. About you. Your health. Your family. Your well being.
    The management is awful and has little to no prior experience in the fields that they have their positions in. They are only management because they finished a low level degree in something that is COMPLETELY unrelated to restaraunt/hospitality management. I've opened and managed multi million dollar restaurants in Orlando, Dallas and Denver. I understand guest relations, team coordination, coaching and development, and every single aspect that should be present in a hospitality management team. Unfortunately every single aspect is missing amongst American cruise line management teams. all in all. If you know you're a person who is looking to be developed and grow and be cared for in the work place.... Save yourself a bunch of time. Don't consider ACL.

Advice to Management

Just care for your employees. Try to develop the tiniest amount of understanding for your people. The boat I was on (the Constitution) had seen 112 servers from when it first set sail to the time I left.... Only 7 had seen their commitments all the way through. Wouldn't it be better for everybody involved if you cared the tiniest bit for your employees? Which would increase retention rates? Which would make servers happier? Which in turn would create more enjoyable, memorable experiences for your guests? Take care of your people.

7. "4 Months at ACL"

Former Employee - Dining Steward in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Dining Steward in Seattle, WA

I worked at American Cruise Lines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Meet lots of people that you end up developing long term relationships with. Team work, time management, and social skills are all factors that are self- improved throughout the time being.

Cons

Very long hours, no days off, little break, can be constant change of employees/management

Advice to Management

If there is a manager fresh out of training that is put on a boat with experienced staff that has been there for 2+ months, make sure to first visualize on how the staff do their tasks/work instead of immediately changing factors around especially if how they complete their work are effective, proficient, and professional.

Nov 30, 2018 – Recruiter

On behalf of American Cruise Lines, we thank you for all of your hard work and dedication this past season. We understand the hours can be demanding, but we are glad to hear you have developed your... More

8. "Cruise Director"

Current Employee - Cruise Director in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Cruise Director in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at American Cruise Lines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing coworkers who turn into family
    Fantastic guests
    Perfect commute
    Keeps you on your toes
    Good support from home office
    Very busy
    Onboard for 6-8 weeks at a time, much better than some of the larger cruise ships
    Constantly growing and learning how to be a problem solver

Cons

Very busy
    Long hours/days
    Paid a daily rate
    Very limited personal time (would not recommend this job to an introvert)

Advice to Management

Wish that some in home office were more accessible. We work every second of everyday onboard but many in home office are only available 9-5 Mon-Fri. I can’t fault them for that but I wish they had more support for emergencies on the weekend or after hours.
    Higher pay

Nov 16, 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you for all your hard work this year! The Cruise/Hotel/Hospitality industry runs 24/7 and our shore-side Operations Team is here to help whenever needed. Please reach out to us to further... More

9. "Biased, unethical, dishonest company."

Pros

Being a man is helpful. The managers will give you a special nickname and treat you really well. They will bend over backwards to help you so you will stay. They have a hard time keeping men, they have more now.

Cons

The women, especially one that has been there forever, run the show. Do not cross her. Lots of tatting and throwing people under the bus. The commission structure is very unfair leading to terrible contention. Selling way overpriced cruises. Very dishonest, unethical practices.

Advice to Management

Try to make the right decisions on your own. That's what management is supposed to do.

10. "an honest review"

Former Employee - Housekeeper
    Former Employee - Housekeeper

I worked at American Cruise Lines part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I met some of my favorite people in the whole ENTIRE world.

Cons

everyone is exhausted.

it's really difficult to perform at the the level they expect for 16 weeks in a row. I mean REALLY DIFFICULT. when you finish it will take you literal weeks and a possible hospital visit (abdominal pain leading to the discovery of stomach ulcers... stress related.)

your feet will bruise or they will blister.

lots of people trash management. with the exception of 1 manager I loved them all in my 16 week's as a housekeeper. but guess what. we were all drained and just trying to survive together. as a housekeeper i felt a special connection to all the managers in a weird way.. that I KNOW dining stewards don't get.

if I can give anyone any advice when it comes to American cruise lines.

don't be a dining stewards.
    don't be an Assistant hotel manager.

be a housekeeper.
    be a cruise director.

and to the cruise directors I have seen complain on here

your job is easy.

but I know the hours are really long.
    but stop blaming Housekeepers for your problems.

I know it's hard work but... not in the right way.

Dec 13, 2018 – Recruiter

We are happy to hear you were able to meet the greatest people in the entire world! Many opportunities are offered at American Cruise Lines and we encourage you to find which role is the best fit for... More