American Cruise Lines Reviews | Glassdoor

American Cruise Lines Reviews

Updated February 11, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • It is also a great opportunity to save money as room and board are completely free (in 13 reviews)

• You definitely have a great chance to save money by living aboard (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours but you are made well aware of this in the interview process (in 36 reviews)

• Long hours and time away from home (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Assistant Hotel Manager"

I worked at American Cruise Lines full-time

Pros

It was a great way to save money and see different parts of our country. I love the guests and getting to learn them every week. Some groups are especially fun.

Cons

This position deals with all dining stewards. Some of them can be amazing, hard workers, but I would say this is not the majority.

2. "Good Experience"

Current Employee - Deckhand
    Current Employee - Deckhand

I have been working at American Cruise Lines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good way to build experience, nice ports

Cons

work life balance is nonexistent

3. "It was great to be part of the ACL Family"

Former Employee - Media Specialist in Guilford, CT
    Former Employee - Media Specialist in Guilford, CT

I worked at American Cruise Lines full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was employed at the American Cruise Lines corporate office for four years. During that time, I witnessed them evolve into a company that truly cares about its employees. The Marketing and Creative teams are loaded with extremely talented and forward-thinking individuals who have taken the brand to the next level in the cruise industry. In my position in the marketing/creative department, I spent some time onboard the vessels. The charismatic atmosphere and friendliness of the onboard staff mimics that of the corporate office. On top of that the pay and benefits, including occasional incentive based bonuses, are competitive with any business of that size in the market. I left ACL solely because of a move out of state, and I will truly miss being part of the team. Charles Robertson and his family always went out of their way to help me both professionally and personally in any way they could. I developed both working and personal relationships with the folks at ACL that I will forever cherish. I highly recommend long term employment at American Cruise Lines.

Cons

The office space is a bit cramped for a growing company like ACL, and the building generally isn't properly taken care of (cleanliness, bathroom function, air quality, temperature regulation etc.). This is more of a knock on the building management staff than on the company itself. I do know that American Cruise Lines is in the process of finding a new location for their corporate office in the near future, so that "Con" will probably be amended shortly.

Advice to Management

Keep evolving and finding ways for employees to get together and enjoy being part of the ACL Family. I especially liked community service trips (food bank volunteering), food trucks, and other team building company outings .

4. "Overpriced, Overworked, and Undercompensated"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at American Cruise Lines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers were great! We all worked very hard and I felt I was part of the team.

Cons

Company is growing, meaning that you have increased workloads without the resources to handle them.

The cruises themselves are ridiculously overpriced and from what I hear from customers, underwhelming. The sales team tells the customer anything to buy a ticket, the majority being elderly, and leave the rest of us to deal with customers expecting a 20k cruise but could get the same thing around 5k.

Many entitled and arrogant customers. It really grates on you when you are constantly accused of being an imbecile just because a customer isn't able to get breakfast served in their room or there was an uncontrollable dock change.

Also, they keep adding itineraries and ships without the personnel or technology to keep up! How so you expect us to handle and manage cruise details for 200 passengers per week per ship when we still have to do manual data entry from faxes for each one?

Advice to Management

Update your resources for your employees.

You can still be personalized without having to serve customers hand and foot and placing unreasonable demands on your employees.

Investing in your employees pays off in the long run. Your employee retention rates are low because they have to meet astronomical expectations with pitiful benefits and mediocre management. Also, it costs more to keep training new people than to keep on trained employees with decent benefits and resources. Bonuses and an hourly rate can only account for so much.

Also, you are very disconnected with your employees. You may sell cruises to 100k+ income earners, but it's important to remember that your employees are 25-35k earners.

"Cruise Director"

Former Employee - Cruise Director in Guilford, CT
    Former Employee - Cruise Director in Guilford, CT

I worked at American Cruise Lines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A chance to travel the country and keep expenditures low. (Free room and meals)
    You can move up the on-board job ladder quick.

Cons

Hours are LONG. (6am-8pm on a short day.) 7 days a week for weeks at a time. No down time between guests as the ship is immediately flipped and you are boarding next passengers in the same day. Biggest thing was it seems the company cares very little about keeping their employees happy. 9/10 their solution for satisfying their customers is telling their employees to do more with no sort of compensation.

Advice to Management

Listen and appreciate your staff. There is a reason your turnover is so high. Stop attributing that to the lifestyle when you have it within your power to make your staff more comfortable.

6. "Hotel and Dining Manger"

Former Employee - Hotel and Dining Manager (AHM) in Guilford, CT
    Former Employee - Hotel and Dining Manager (AHM) in Guilford, CT

I worked at American Cruise Lines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People you work with. The passengers are great too. Promote from within.

Cons

The company doesn't seem to care about the shipboard employees. It doesn't matter how hard you work, you can never seem to work hard enough and if you don't find a solution to every single problem (which there are a lot) that were created before you got on the ship, you're the one that gets in trouble. More often are you consistently understaffed than having the right amount of employees. Expect to fill in for everyone elses job. There's a lack of communication between home office and the ships, especially if home office makes a mistake and they don't tell you, they really screw you over.

7. "Dynamic and exciting position"

Current Employee - Shipping and Receiving in Guilford, CT
    Current Employee - Shipping and Receiving in Guilford, CT

I have been working at American Cruise Lines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A great way to get hands on experience in logistical operations as it pertains to the cruise line industry. You will obtain a brief overview of knowledge in many departments as you are in constant communication. Management is patient and open to new ideas as this company is currently in the midst of growth and expansion. A multidimensional role where you are constantly working on various projects. Also a huge plus is the traveling aspect of the position. You will have the opportunity to visit some of the cruise vessels in your role with American Cruise Lines.

Cons

A slight lack of organization in some aspects. Communication between departments could improve as directions are not always clear and concise.

Advice to Management

Perhaps better implementation of a communication system between the shipping/receiving department and hotel service management personal. This would make logistical operations run smoother.

8. "A Fast Paced Learning Opportunity"

Current Employee - Hotel Operations in Guilford, CT
    Current Employee - Hotel Operations in Guilford, CT

I have been working at American Cruise Lines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have developed many skills during my time here. I started out with minor responsibilities, but my position has developed and provided numerous work opportunities for me. I have found my job to be rewarding and as the company continues to grow, so do my responsibilities. I like the fact that there is room for growth in my position, especially since I did not think there would be. If you are willing to work hard and commit to what you are doing, you will surely see the benefits of that. The employees here also add to the work environment. There are many great people working at American Cruise Lines and since I started the culture of this office has continually improved. The management has been making more of an effort to recognize and reward employees for their hard work, which has not gone unnoticed.

Cons

If you get stressed out quite easily and do not enjoy a fast paced work environment this is not a position for you. Things can get very hectic, especially when we are in the middle of the season. You will need to keep up with the pace of the rest of the company. You should be quick on your feet and always prepared.

"Fake with a Smile"

Former Employee - Executive Sous Chef in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Executive Sous Chef in Portland, OR

I worked at American Cruise Lines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The money was the only good thing about the company at fist at least.

Cons

Everything, I worked as a cook and your day consisted of 5am-10pm. Very often did you get a rest or leave the ship because you couldn't walk straight. They had a set order every week regardless of occupancy so food often went bad. When executive chefs tried to fix this they were chastised and punished.

any disagreements on the ship were settled by firing whoever would get less if they filed a lawsuit. All witness were told if they knew what was good for them they would be quiet, if they didn't they were reassigned if they still asked or tried to even give a basic statement they were terminated and blackballed. They looked at issues by race not by who caused it and if you got in the way your gone as well and any friends you have as well.

Advice to Management

Fire your boat operators and bring in honest people driven by the need to provide the best hospitality possible. People who care about quests and quality and budgeting, people who believe in fair accounts of what happend and will look into things honestly and not by what could save a false lawsuit.

10. "Hotel Manager"

Current Employee - Hotel Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Hotel Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at American Cruise Lines (More than a year)

Pros

Passengers are great, travel and save money

Cons

It is a lot of hard work