American Cruise Lines Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 16, 2018

Full-timePart-time

3.4

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "It is also a great opportunity to save money as room and board are completely free" (in 13 reviews)

• "It was a great way to save money and see different parts of our country" (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours 13-15 hour work days 7 days a week" (in 40 reviews)

• "Being away from home, but you get used to it" (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Captain"

Current Employee - Captain
    Current Employee - Captain

I have been working at American Cruise Lines full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pros: I have been a Captain for ACL for the past 8 years. The company offers opportunities to operate brand new ships in some of the most interesting and beautiful waters of the US. We visit great ports on both coast, Alaska and the Mississippi River system. Our quarters are large and comfortable and our meals are prepared by our chef. Our passengers are from diverse and successful backgrounds. I have met Senators, Admirals, Scientists and even “A List” actors. We follow the season with our routes which provides changing operation areas and keeps it interesting.

Cons

As with all professional mariners, time away from home and family. (ACL allows our wives to sail with us when they have the opportunity which alleviates some this).

Aug 16, 2018 – Recruiter

On behalf of American Cruise Lines we thank you for taking the time to provide us with positive feedback. We are glad to hear that you are enjoying your time while sailing the beautiful riverways of... More

2. "Love it"

I have been working at American Cruise Lines full-time

Pros

The environment is great. Everyone is friendly and helps you out

Cons

Pay could be better for the amount of work

Oct 17, 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to share such a valuable review. As our company grows, we are excited to hear our employees are as well!

"Fun but tiring"

Former Employee - Housekeeping Manager in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Housekeeping Manager in New Orleans, LA

I worked at American Cruise Lines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great travel experience through out the United States all for FREE!

Cons

Some of the places you visit are extremely racist

Advice to Management

Pick a better choice of destinations on your southern cruises that won’t offend African American employees

Oct 15, 2018 – Recruiter

On behalf of American Cruise Lines we thank you for your feedback. We will share this information internally. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us to discuss this matter further.

4. "Fun and exciting opportunity/ server."

Current Employee - Server
    Current Employee - Server

I have been working at American Cruise Lines part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Meet new people from all over.
    The training instructors are amazing.
    Pay is great! 🙂

Cons

Being away from home, but you get used to it.
    Only temporary position for servers.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

Sep 27, 2027 – Recruiter

We appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear you are enjoying your time with us so far. Your comments will be shared with our team.

5. "Most unethical company"

Former Employee - General Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - General Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at American Cruise Lines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pros are few. I meet some very lovely guests and many hard working people.

Cons

So many. 1. Ship employees treated as slaves. At least 1 person walks off ship a day, leaving so much work for others. Not enough staff to begin with.
    2. Managers get NO training. I spent a week setting tables and folding napkins, I was General Manager. No one on ship knows what home office wants.
    3. Work hours should be illegal.
    4. Home office lies to guests about issues with the ships. VERY unethical.
    5. You will as management be completely disrespected by corporate office. That is why no one stays.

Advice to Management

You need to respect your employees. You are only concerned with the bottom line. Start thinking about employee retention, improved working conditions and all around better treatment.

Oct 15, 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback after working with American Cruise Lines. We would like to discuss this with you further at your convenience by phone or email. Is... More

6. "Room for Growth"

Current Employee - Onboarding in Guilford, CT
    Current Employee - Onboarding in Guilford, CT

I have been working at American Cruise Lines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have worked at American Cruise Lines for almost a year and I have had a very positive experience so far. After working for only two months I transitioned into an exciting and fast paced role where I have been able to learn and grow. The company is rapidly expanding and if you are willing to put in hard work and show that you are committed you can grow right alongside it. As a whole, I am very happy to work at ACL and I look forward to furthering my career with the company.

Cons

Due to the company growing so quickly we are outgrowing the current office space. Also, some practices could be improved upon to make the onboarding process more efficient due to this growth. As the company continues to expand and more boats go into the water, processes should be streamlined to become more efficient.

Advice to Management

Bringing in food trucks and having company lunches boosts moral and makes me feel valued as an employee - we should do it more often!

Aug 29, 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to write a review! We are excited to hear you have had a positive experience so far and have grown professionally with us. All of your feedback will be shared with our... More

7. "Former Cruise Specialist"

Current Employee - Cruise Specialist in Sandy, UT

I have been working at American Cruise Lines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun job! Great pay! The atmosphere is positive and friendly. The supervisors are helpful and more like cheerleaders. I have learned a ton and grown in the position. I was also promoted from within to another great position.

Cons

Not everyone loves the rotating schedule, but I really like it. Working 2 weekend days each month isn't so bad -- they are great days to make sales and it's nice having a weekday off now and then!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Aug 27, 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback. We are excited to hear that you have enjoyed your time at American Cruise Lines. As our company expands, we are thrilled to hear you are growing and learning as well!

8. "Not a good company to work for."

Former Employee - Cruise Specialist in Sandy, UT
    Former Employee - Cruise Specialist in Sandy, UT

I worked at American Cruise Lines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pros are hard to come by. You can make money, but your integrity suffers.

Cons

Poor people management. Can't keep employees. Bad bonus structure. Contentious environment.

Advice to Management

The don't take advice, why throw pearls before swine?

9. "Great job with a fun atmosphere!"

Current Employee - Cruise Specialist
    Current Employee - Cruise Specialist

I have been working at American Cruise Lines full-time

Pros

I really enjoy working for American Cruise Lines. The culture is great. I genuinely like my co-workers. They are always doing fun competitions and offering sales incentives. I also really enjoy talking with our passengers. They are high end cruises and we get some of the best passengers out there. The pay is good, you just have to put in the work.

Cons

The schedule and the hours change every week so you have to be flexible.

Aug 23, 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback and positive comments. We are happy to hear you enjoy working with us and interacting with our passengers!

10. "Great Job- Inside Sales Utah"

Current Employee - Cruise Specialist in Sandy, UT

I have been working at American Cruise Lines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been with the company for a little over 8 months and really like what I do here. The pay is good and the sales are relatively easy. Most importantly we are selling a premium product. While the prices of the cruises are high I've almost never heard a bad word about the cruises (almost everything has been positive) and it gives me a lot of confidence to sell these cruises to people I know will love them.

The supervisors in the Utah office are great and I've always felt like the sales manager was accessible if I needed to talk to him.

I know there have been some negative reviews online and I think that is because we are trying to clean house and create a positive work environment. Many of the core sales people here really LOVE this job and just want to have a positive work environment.

Cons

Like all companies, not everything is perfect. The main thing I would change is the benefits. I wish the health benefits made more sense. They are offered but it did not make sense for my family to sign up for them

Advice to Management

Keep it up. We appreciate you making positive changes to make our office a better place to work.

Aug 16, 2018 – Recruiter

We are happy to hear you are enjoying your time with us. Your feedback is appreciated, it will be shared with our team!