American Cruise Lines Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 24, 2017

Full-time Part-time

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
  • You definitely have a great chance to save money by living aboard (in 19 reviews)

• Being a steward on board can be helpful because you get room and board, 3 meals a day (sometimes more) and you're constantly travelling to new places (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Being away from home and long hours (in 27 reviews)

• Home office is more focused on onboard sales than guest satisfaction (in 9 reviews)

"Roller Coaster"

Former Employee - Steward in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Steward in New Orleans, LA

I worked at American Cruise Lines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked on the Queen for the full 16 weeks and had some of the best experiences ever. I had the luxury of seeing 10 states I've never been to and explored some of the coolest cities in America. This job is not for the lighthearted, you have to have a second skin and not take anything personally. Sometimes it can get overwhelming especially your first few weeks (literally hell) but once you get used to the repetition you start to sort of love it in a really complex way. You make friends and fast. You live and work with these people for 12-16 hours. You will make friends from all over and really miss them all when you leave. Anyone new to travel as I was will really feel like this is the best experience of your life, fortunately I know that this is not my only stop because I saved a ton and will be traveling Europe with the money I saved. This job isn't for people who have a family or children, you are literally gone for what seems like a year (4 months) and you will miss home. This is a great experience for truly hard working people and this job will push the limits but you will come out of the experience feeling so glad you did it.

Cons

Long Hours. Curfew. Not a lot of on shore time. Management can be total jerks.

Advice to Management

Empathy!! Take a second and try to put yourself in the place of the steward because we are working to our bones to please guest.

"Hope your experience is better than mine."

I worked at American Cruise Lines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-Workers were wonderful. Cannot say enough good about the people who work there

Cons

Pay rate was lower than expected, Hours were excessive, Time off was frowned upon, Benefits were promised then length of time to get benefits was changed. 401K same issue.

"ship life"

Pros

I love working for this company! The managers sincerely care about your well being and it has helped me become better in my field and a better person.

Cons

It takes away you away from home and everything you know, but in the end that makes you a better person.

Advice to Management

Treat EVERYONE as people. no matter what their position is.

5. "Best job ever"

Current Employee - Executive Chef in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Executive Chef in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at American Cruise Lines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

American Cruise line is a great company that employees chefs that love what they do and you can see in it in the work we produce. Our corporate Chefs rock so if your a chef and want to travel and get paid well for your passion of food. ACL is for you.

Cons

Other than long hours, daily work, no off days, and sometimes you just can't get no phone service no matter who your provider is. yea well that beats ,99.9% of the companies in my book.

6. "Good job"

I worked at American Cruise Lines full-time

Pros

It was fun and exciting and it felt great to help people book their cruises and make money too.

Cons

There are no cons at all! Great job and I recommend the job to almost anyone I get the chance to.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing! Everything is amazing and great. I could not ask for a better company to work for.

7. "Do not work here.."

I worked at American Cruise Lines full-time

Pros

Free Food. My fellow stewards are the best people I have ever met in my entire life.

Cons

Lied to us about pay and end of contract bonuses(turns out there are none!). Forced people to write positive reviews on Glassdoor. They had to be approved before being submitted. 14+ hour days because we were understaffed.

Advice to Management

If you are going to restructure things, make sure that it is completely fleshed out before you start providing employees with conflicting information. Take responsibility for the negatives, but don't take it personally. We wanted the company's turnover rate to be lower too. It's a strain for the people on the lower hierarchy when new people are introduced, so we know it's also in our best interests to stay. When people leave, please listen to why.

8. "Rewarding"

Current Employee - Sous Chef in Hickory, NC
    Current Employee - Sous Chef in Hickory, NC

I have been working at American Cruise Lines full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As a chef you have the opportunity to grow with and expire your skill set
    The culinary director allows a very flexible schedule
    and my pay usually goes up at beginning of the season

Cons

Really not to much at all
    Just have to get used to working with young adults who try but don't truly understand the job

Advice to Management

Leave teams in culinary alone to many of the assistant managers are nothing but twenty something kids telling the chefs they are in charge ridiculous we as chefs have enough to do with out having inspection of rooms and things when I as a chef have seen some of their rooms not cool to divide

9. "Executive Chef"

Current Employee - Chef in Guilford, CT
    Current Employee - Chef in Guilford, CT

I have been working at American Cruise Lines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The team I worked with. Travel and seeing different places in the country. Being able to have some say in menu process and presentation.

Cons

Long hours but you are made well aware of this in the interview process. Delivery days can sometimes be very busy depending on what time trucks come.

Advice to Management

Mix expreance crew with new crew .

10. "Chef"

Current Employee - Executive Chef in Lorton, VA
    Current Employee - Executive Chef in Lorton, VA

I have been working at American Cruise Lines full-time

Pros

Meet and work with great people. Work with the best products. Travel and seeing some great areas of the country. Teaching and training our younger generation how to work as a team.

Cons

Being away from family for a long period of time.

Advice to Management

More training, training, and more training.

11. "Steward (Onboard)"

I worked at American Cruise Lines full-time

Pros

Great Crew and Management, easy to make friends on the job
    Amazing setting, every day in somewhere beautiful and a great small ship to work on
    The food is awesome and you get to explore each port you are at for a few hours at least.
    Saving money is easy since you are onboard and almost everything is paid for.

Cons

Long days, and tiring since you are working on a steel ship, but you get accustomed quickly and there is fair warning during the hiring and training process.

Advice to Management

I would have recommend back then dividing positions into serving stewards and housekeeping stewards, but I believe this has been addressed recently.