American Cruise Lines Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 13, 2018

Full-timePart-time

3.3

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "It is also a great opportunity to save money as room and board are completely free" (in 13 reviews)

• "It was a great way to save money and see different parts of our country" (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours but you are made well aware of this in the interview process" (in 38 reviews)

• "As with all professional mariners, time away from home and family" (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Captain"

Current Employee - Captain
    Current Employee - Captain

I have been working at American Cruise Lines full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pros: I have been a Captain for ACL for the past 8 years. The company offers opportunities to operate brand new ships in some of the most interesting and beautiful waters of the US. We visit great ports on both coast, Alaska and the Mississippi River system. Our quarters are large and comfortable and our meals are prepared by our chef. Our passengers are from diverse and successful backgrounds. I have met Senators, Admirals, Scientists and even “A List” actors. We follow the season with our routes which provides changing operation areas and keeps it interesting.

Cons

As with all professional mariners, time away from home and family. (ACL allows our wives to sail with us when they have the opportunity which alleviates some this).

2. "Great job with a fun atmosphere!"

Current Employee - Cruise Specialist
    Current Employee - Cruise Specialist

I have been working at American Cruise Lines full-time

Pros

I really enjoy working for American Cruise Lines. The culture is great. I genuinely like my co-workers. They are always doing fun competitions and offering sales incentives. I also really enjoy talking with our passengers. They are high end cruises and we get some of the best passengers out there. The pay is good, you just have to put in the work.

Cons

The schedule and the hours change every week so you have to be flexible.

3. "Great Job- Inside Sales Utah"

Current Employee - Cruise Specialist in Sandy, UT
    Current Employee - Cruise Specialist in Sandy, UT

I have been working at American Cruise Lines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been with the company for a little over 8 months and really like what I do here. The pay is good and the sales are relatively easy. Most importantly we are selling a premium product. While the prices of the cruises are high I've almost never heard a bad word about the cruises (almost everything has been positive) and it gives me a lot of confidence to sell these cruises to people I know will love them.

The supervisors in the Utah office are great and I've always felt like the sales manager was accessible if I needed to talk to him.

I know there have been some negative reviews online and I think that is because we are trying to clean house and create a positive work environment. Many of the core sales people here really LOVE this job and just want to have a positive work environment.

Cons

Like all companies, not everything is perfect. The main thing I would change is the benefits. I wish the health benefits made more sense. They are offered but it did not make sense for my family to sign up for them

Advice to Management

Keep it up. We appreciate you making positive changes to make our office a better place to work.

"Welcoming Work-Environment"

Current Employee - Recruiter
    Current Employee - Recruiter

I have been working at American Cruise Lines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been at American Cruise Lines for some time now and have had nothing but a great experience. All of my co-workers are very helpful, willing to listen to my suggestions and give me more responsibilities while answering any questions I may have. Also, being a recruiter allows me to interview and meet so many different people from across the country! ACL has given myself and many other employees the opportunity to grow and absorb essential information that will be useful in my professional career. I am excited to see what the future holds at ACL!

Cons

During the cruise season we have a lot of applicants, so it can cause stress trying to find quality candidates. However, all recruiters are properly trained when they start working to make sure that we have the best methods to select the right people on board. Challenging role, but extremely rewarding when hearing how pleased our guests are with our crew members.

Jun 19, 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review. We are excited to hear that you are enjoying your time with us and have already grown professionally. We look forward to your future as... More

5. "Perfect"

Former Employee - Food Server in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Food Server in Boston, MA

I worked at American Cruise Lines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was awesome I would recommend

Cons

No cons everything about the job was perfect

Jun 19, 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you for your positive comments. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your time working with us on board!

"Captain"

Current Employee - Captain in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Captain in Boston, MA

I have been working at American Cruise Lines part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-American Cruise Lines (ACL) is a superb place to launch a career or to work part-time after completing a maritime career. The company is great to work for if you don’t mind no-nonsense, hard-work and would enjoy a challenging, captivating mission. ACL is growing very fast, creating many job opportunities with its tried-and-true business model at its foundation. It is very motivating to be part of this maritime, economic American success story. I’m sure there is no better place for a aspiring mariner to learn and grow aboard highly capable, new and exciting under-100 gross ton vessels.
    -The locations to which you are assigned are exceptional as they are all selected as the most unique and desirable attractions to cruise. The ships are shallow draft, so they can also go places the large ships cannot. Similarly, the crew and passengers are the best. Crewmembers are young, sincere, and hard-working people, who pick up a lot of skills fast, and work well in their jobs and cross-functionally as well. The passengers are well-established retirees who have accomplished much and are extremely interesting; they are great examples of how to live. The passengers quickly learn to love the crewmembers in a grandparent-like way.
    -Finally, the Director of Marine Operations is who all those “on-deck” work for and he is top-notch. He is highly experienced and knows well the challenges that sailors experience. He also shows great concern for employees professional development and advancement. He provides great additional motivation for me to continue working at ACL. I also might add that Captain’s spouses are often/usually always allowed to sail with them. In sum, you work hard in a motivating mission in nice places with great people. (I placed this same review on indeed.com too!)

Cons

Not for the person who does not want to work hard and learn,

Advice to Management

Continue to grow the company wisely.

Jun 19, 2018 – Recruiter

On behalf of American Cruise Lines we thank you for taking the time to write positive feedback about your time working for us. We do take pride in catering toward each of our employees’ needs the... More

"A Company Ripe With Opportunity"

I have been working at American Cruise Lines full-time

Pros

It's been exciting to be part of such a rapidly growing company and vibrant community of employees. I’ve experienced a tremendous amount of professional and personal growth in the short time I’ve been with the company, with the expectation that even more opportunities await me here. Not to mention the relationships I’ve forged here have been invaluable. It really is a great team of individuals and they’ve made my time at American Cruise Lines that much more enriching.

Cons

The most challenging aspect of working with a growing company is that roles shift quickly and frequently. If you’re flexible and can adapt easily to new tasks, it can be an opportunity to learn new things and be exposed to different aspects of the business. But it can often be frustrating to be responsible for tasks outside of your role or, in some cases, department, in addition to your own workload.

Jun 19, 2018 – Recruiter

We are happy to hear that during your time with us you have been able to grow professionally and personally. You're feedback is appreciated, it will be shared with our team!

"Great company!"

Current Employee - Marketing
    Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at American Cruise Lines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great, hard working people with the determination to help maintain and improve a rapidly growing company. I have had the opportunity to grow as an employee and gain experience in field of work. Love being able to work with multiple people and departments. Some great benefits and good times at the office!

Cons

The company is growing so quickly that office space, culture and communication could be improved at times.

Jun 19, 2018 – Recruiter

We appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear that you are enjoying your time working with us. As our company grows, we are excited to hear our employees are as well!

"DO IT"

Former Employee - Food Server
    Former Employee - Food Server

I worked at American Cruise Lines part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked with the company May of last year. Everything they said it would be, it was. It is hard work, but so rewarding when you get to see all the sights.

Cons

It is hard work!! They let you know this and tell you repeatedly. You work about 12 hour days as a temporary hire, which is what I was.

10. "This is a Company for Rising Stars Who Enjoy Great People and Hard Work!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Guilford, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Guilford, CT

I worked at American Cruise Lines full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Customers are wonderful and fascinating people. The ports you get to see are the best on the east coast. A fast moving environment where you get to experience lots of opportunity and witness a company undergoing amazing growth. Colleagues that I worked with became lifelong friends.

Cons

The cruise line world attracts a lot of free spirited and sometimes strange employees. As I read through the cons, I recognize that they mostly come from people who are not a good fit for the mission of American Cruise Lines. If you aren't good with people (customers), building relationships (colleagues), and can't handle hard work, you will quickly realize that you are not a good fit.

Advice to Management

Keep building your employee training for your top personnel. Your customers will continue to love you for it and it will weed out the wrong employees and applicants.

Jun 19, 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you for writing such a great review. We really appreciate your hard work and dedication to our mission statement. We will share your feedback with our team!