American Cruise Lines Reviews

Updated May 1, 2020

3.6
American Cruise Lines  . (no image)
Pros
  • "Expenses are paid for so it's easy to save money(in 28 reviews)

• "Fantastic training for stewards before being sent out for the job(in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours- get yourself settled in and plenty of rest(in 61 reviews)

• "That coupled with a slight lack of communication can cause issues amongst the stewards(in 36 reviews)

1. "Great place to network"

Current Employee - Food Server

I have been working at American Cruise Lines full-time

Pros

Perfect for social butterflies, so many different types of people on board.

Cons

Long hours, not a lot of free time

July 9, 2020

Thank you for your review! We are happy to hear that during your time with us you were able to meet so many different people. We appreciate your comment.

2. "Not Bad Not Great"

2.0
    Former Employee - Junior Mate

I worked at American Cruise Lines full-time for less than a year

Pros

Easy work and 12 hour straight shift let you sleep

Cons

poor pay and the time off wasn't good 6 weeks on 2 weeks off

July 9, 2020

Thank you for providing us with a review. We appreciate all of the work that you contributed to our company's success.

3. "Server that completed contract"

Current Employee - Server in Guilford, CT

I have been working at American Cruise Lines full-time for less than a year

Pros

Meet people from all over the world. Experience different places.

Cons

Long Hours, Sharing Room quarters, Short Breaks

February 17, 2020

Thank you for leaving us a review! We appreciate all of your hard work and contributions to the American Cruise Line team.

"Long Hours and Hard work"

Current Employee - Cruise Director

I have been working at American Cruise Lines full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Travel Room, laundry, food, "utilities" included Normally the other crew members are really wonderful.

Cons

Very Long hours Lots of work Unorganized systems Can get lonely

February 17, 2020

Thank you for your feedback. We understand the hours can be demanding and we appreciate how hard our entire team works.

"Great experience"

Current Employee - Chef II in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at American Cruise Lines full-time for less than a year

Pros

Working for American Cruise Line is a good opportunity for those who are trying to find there way in life. What I mean by that is, there's alot of advancement and opportunity to advance yourself career wise with this company and you have a chance to discover a new chapter in your life. Where else can you work, travel throughout different parts of the United States, meet different people from all over the country, see historical landmarks all while you working. You can't beat that experience for anything and you getting paid at the same time to do this job. I appreciate American Cruise Lines for giving me an opportunity to work for this company and do what I enjoy doing and that is cooking my food and seeing the enjoyment people face when they are eating and enjoying the food experience everyday. Thanks American Cruise Line for a great season and looking forward to returning.

Cons

The hardest part of this job is waking up, and dealing with sea sickness. Once you get pass that the day almost over.

July 9, 2020

We are happy to hear that while working with us you were able to not only provide our guests with an exceptional cruise cuisine experience, but also grow as a professional. Thank you for being a passionate and hardworking member of our team!

"Great experience"

Current Employee - Second Cook in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at American Cruise Lines full-time for more than a year

Pros

Travel, the bond you make with your coworkers. A great way to save money.

Cons

Long hours, going weeks with out a day off.

February 17, 2020

"Long, but rewarding days ahead!"

4.0
    Current Employee - Cruise Director

I have been working at American Cruise Lines full-time for more than a year

Pros

Being a Cruise Director is a lot of fun. You get to meet thousands of people a year and help them have an amazing vacation. I love that this job allows me to put smiles on our guests’ faces. You work long hours when on the ship, but you also get 1-2 week vacations which is an amazing perk!

Cons

There is a pretty big disconnect between home office and the ships. A lot of things you have to figure out on your own or solve problems. We run a 7 day a week business, but the office team is unavailable on weekends and holidays. You must be an expert problem solver to do this job!

July 9, 2020

Thank you for the review! Our shipboard employees, including yourself, are selfless, determined, and extremely hard working. We are absolutely thrilled to hear that you love what you are doing!

"Good to the right people"

4.0
    Former Employee - Deckhand

I worked at American Cruise Lines full-time

Pros

This job allows you to travel to places you wouldn't ever think of visiting in the country.

Cons

The work hours are long which doesn't leave a lot of personal time to enjoy yourself.

July 9, 2020

"Dedicated and energetic cook with a stellar customer service record and exceptionally good attitude."

Current Employee - Second Chef in Guilford, CT

I have been working at American Cruise Lines full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work life balance. Management. Pay and benefit. Job security and advancement. Culture.

Cons

I have no downside. All is well.

July 9, 2020

We appreciate you taking the time to write us a review. Thank you for all of your hard work and for ensuring that our guests are able to experience the cruise of their dreams!

"A Rewarding Experience regardless of the Position!"

Current Employee - Senior Deckhand

I have been working at American Cruise Lines full-time for less than a year

Pros

Working with ACL will provide you an array of challenging yet fulfilling and rewarding experiences. You will get to travel to many different cities within the U.S. regardless of the itinerary the boat you’re placed on is operated out of. There are no living expenses while working onboard and healthy diverse meals are provided daily by the Culinary crew. Including meal variations for Vegetarians and Vegans!. You will meet co-workers from all different backgrounds and walks of life and form strong bonds as you work as team to give guests the best experience possible! There’s also room for advancement no matter which department you’re hired in!.. many of our managers actually started on temporary contracts, and worked their way up. Myself included.. Whether housekeepers and dining stewards moving up to hotel manager positions or deckhands eventually moving to senior, and seniors moving to junior mates; ACL loves promoting within!

Cons

The most notable “con” is the long hours and strenuous work schedule. While ACL has always been transparent to its employees regarding its work schedule, some people still go in with the mindset of it being less than advertised. You will be working 7 days a week, 12 hour days. This schedule obviously is NOT for everyone, but it can be adjusted to with time and makes the weeks fly by once you get into the groove of things.

July 9, 2020

Thank you for your review! We are happy to hear that during your time with us you have been pushed to reach your maximum potential. It is our goal to make sure that we offer all employees room for both personal and professional growth. We appreciate your comment.

Found 264 reviews