American Diabetes Association Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Kevin L. Hagan

Pros
  • good work/life balance most of the time (in 20 reviews)

• Great cause, a lots of volunteer experience (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Little regard to work-life balance and overall support of colleagues/staff (in 9 reviews)

• Employees work very hard and kept busy, which is not unusual in non-profit world (in 14 reviews)

"Associate Director - Events"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I worked at American Diabetes Association full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice work environment, Very nice people

Cons

Remote management has no idea how to run events. Runs/Walk are fine anything else was not done well. Signature Event at FedEx was a disaster. ALOT of turnover. Many people up and quit.

Advice to Management

Use the skill and knowledge of the people you hire. Don't try to make them conform to everything. The process was broken, that was why you made the effort to fix it. let it be fixed

"Director of Programs"

Former Employee - Manager in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Manager in Alexandria, VA

I worked at American Diabetes Association (More than a year)

Pros

Clients and their care (if allowed), community out-reach programs (if follow-through is allowed), the organizations that wanted to give/donate to make the patients care better

Cons

Inconsiderate, unapproachable, unfriendly, thoughtless.....did NOT care for clients and patients, cared only for bottom dollar

Advice to Management

Grow a conscience

"Was a good place to work, but going through major changes"

Former Employee - Manager, ECampaigns in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Manager, ECampaigns in Alexandria, VA

I worked at American Diabetes Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I had a great team, boss, and supervisor. Work/life balance was ideal and the working environment was casual and friendly. Had some opportunities to travel by volunteering to help out at the major conference, SciSessions. Really loved everyone I worked with and made some great friends.

Cons

There were no professional development opportunities, mainly due to budget reasons.

"Development Manager"

Former Employee - Development Manager in Bridgewater, NJ
    Former Employee - Development Manager in Bridgewater, NJ

I worked at American Diabetes Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I received great experience for my first job out of college. A lot of responsibilities for 2 big special events that combined raised over $1 million. Only reason I left was I was recruited to a local hospital for much higher pay. Managers were really supportive.

Cons

Not a lot of formal professional development or a lot of administrative support for my work.Pay was slightly below average compared to similar organizations.

Advice to Management

Need to focus more on providing hope for a cure. Give young employees more of a career path.

"Trying to recover"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at American Diabetes Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great mission and dedicated employees

Cons

Unsettled culture, still trying to find our way

Advice to Management

Good call on removing most of the Executive Leadership Team. Please look at the remaining inexperienced leaders, we're still suffering under their leadership.

"Depends on your department"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I worked at American Diabetes Association full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some departments are great to work for, others not so much.
    Work-life balance is good.

Cons

Very fragile environment, employees never know what's happening next in terms of financial struggles, layoffs, etc.

Advice to Management

be more transparent. be more consistent. be good, thoughtful employers!

"Development Manager"

Former Employee - Development Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Development Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at American Diabetes Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work life balance, excellent mission

Cons

Disorganized field staff, negative office culture

Advice to Management

Continue to pursue a drastic culture change

8. "Lots of Changes, But Good Ones Going On"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at American Diabetes Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Every time there's a change at the organization, I felt like the leadership team took time to carefully explain why, listen to our concerns and help us feel comfortable with the new direction. Kevin Hagan is the best thing that happened to ADA in a long time. Such an energetic leader with innovative ideas.

Cons

We are all asked to work hard-- sometimes this is harder than we would like (or have in the past). Nights and weekends are required part of this organization's culture.

Advice to Management

You're on the right course! Thank you for listening to us, guiding us and moving us to such a great new location in Arlington. I feel we're becoming more of a family every day in our shared work space. I love how the silos that used to keep departments from talking to one another are being broken down as we all work together.

9. "Work in progress"

Current Employee - Middle Management in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Middle Management in Arlington, VA

I have been working at American Diabetes Association full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits and leadership is really trying to turn things around after 10 years of decline. They just introduced a new business plan which is truly transformational and a lot of us believe is finally the change we need. It just needs a little time to make happen. Hopefully that time will be given for us to be successful.

Cons

There's been a lot of change and some has been painful but necessary change. Big problem has been that two former executives, Shereen Arent and Bob Ratner have been trying to actively undermine our CEO by gathering volunteers to try to get him fired. They were even sharing this with staff. I personally heard it. Fortunately, they are both gone now so maybe we can move forward instead of holding onto the past practices that almost bankrupted us.

Advice to Management

Give changes new time to gel. This change in strategy seems quite visionary.

"Great Teams, Bad Upper Management"

Current Employee - Manager in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Alexandria, VA

Pros

Most employees feel positively about their own divisions and like their jobs. The mission of the organization is important, and many employees have been personally touched by diabetes. Volunteers are also fabulous. Pretty good vacation policy, even for new employees (kind of depends on your division though, because it doesn't roll over and some managers won't let everyone be out in December).

Cons

The corporate culture is horrendous. There is little to no trust of upper management. The current CEO, Kevin Hagan, promised a culture of transparency when he started, but it hasn't happened. No raises, bonuses, COL increases, tuition reimbursement. Expensive health care. Uncertainty about the future of the organization and your own employment status. Already experiencing severe brain drain.

Advice to Management

Transparency! The board should also fire the CEO. He brought in a number of people from his past employer, has presided over multiple "restructurings" and rounds of massive layoffs.