American Diabetes Association Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.2
Martha Clark

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • good work/life balance most of the time (in 20 reviews)

• Great cause, a lots of volunteer experience (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Little regard to work-life balance and overall support of colleagues/staff (in 9 reviews)

• Employees work very hard and kept busy, which is not unusual in non-profit world (in 14 reviews)

1. "Development"

I have been working at American Diabetes Association full-time

Pros

Good people in local office

Cons

Lack of direction and consistency as an organization. Lack of local mission delivery.

2. "Lots of superb colleagues and amazing volunteers"

I worked at American Diabetes Association full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are many phenomenal colleagues and good departments. Do your research on the particular department. I did, and was happy for many years. The mission couldn't be more important and people living with diabetes have a real voice.

Cons

The turmoil in senior leadership starting in 2015 has not served the association well. However there are superb managers who run their groups well. There are still great positions to be had here.

3. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at American Diabetes Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The mission is one worth working hard for. The community health strategies department is it's strong suit. Great National leadership.

Cons

Lack of positive leadership and mentor-ship on a local level. Not a good on boarding process. No sense of teamwork for development staff and fundraising.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge your staff's skills and abilities. Find ways to play up their strengths and discover their greatest potential. I was not given that opportunity here.

"Coordinator"

I have been working at American Diabetes Association full-time

Pros

There aren't many pros but i do have a few. They are flexible with my schedule, I am able to work from 6-7 am to early afternoon. I also consider the group I work with my friends. Lastly there are good places to eat near the HQ offices.

Cons

This place has the worst working environment ever! People are rude and they think the world revolves around them! We've had two lay overs since I got here and the people I work with are afraid to loose their jobs. We are not doing so well financially that I wont be surprised if we aren't around in a few years.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to stop having your heads in your butts and find a solution for this down fall.

"Another one bites the dust!"

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at American Diabetes Association full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

These remain to be seen!

Cons

Incompetent upper management, lack of concern for field staff, no input from field on any decisions related to field structure, function, accountability or interaction with national departments.

Advice to Management

Short-lived top leadership was released from his contract less that a year ago and two years into his destructive dismantling of the organization. Most of his cronies are gone now, and hopefully the organization can finally start to heal. Kuddos to the decision maker who removed top field leadership in October. Incompetence was evident from the beginning and harmful actions under that leadership will take much effort to repair. Departure of leadership of the development and stewardship division was announced today. That reign fostered a culture of fear, indecisiveness, a silo mentality that the former CEO regime claimed to fight against, and incompetence of senior leadership at the highest levels. National board.....open your eyes! Failures can only be attributes to failed policy and failed leadership and their strategies. Why do we continue to waste money on things that don't drive the bottom line.....technology does not correct the deep-rooted problems we face..... sports figures will not make us a world class organization (not to mention the financial drain this department in particular has on the Association)........ and databases only zap staff time because management is constantly changing what is required, how reports run, how data should be entered, etc. And don't get me started on all the failed ideas that have just been overlooked...... dance dares, climbing down buildings, endurance events, the teddy bear that talks, and on and on! Has been so sad to watch this once great organization flounder.

"Manager"

I worked at American Diabetes Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great cause for a growing epidemic

Cons

They do not follow their "Big Picture". Numbers were extremely low (most events barely reached half of projected numbers AND constituent retention was extremely low). Upper management (ED's and VP's) tend to blame those really not responsible for those numbers. Those above that upper management do not seem to see the continuing issue that those specific persons were the causation to low numbers. Executive Director has NO idea what they're doing and seems to thrive off drama. Countless times of unneeded meetings, countless times of "Why are we doing this?", and countless times I saw co-workers doing tasks that had nothing to do with the association, rather personal needs.

Overall, this association needs to have an observation of upper-management of the outside branches, to then either replace or revamp those individuals in that position.

With the way this association does things, it seems that the only thing that they have going for them are individuals who really want to end diabetes. Events are not fun, those who attend those events do not seem to enjoy it. Horrible association to work for and would not recommend to anyone.

Advice to Management

Learn to thrive off the good things that employees can bring to the table. Do not shun someone because they did something incorrectly, allow them to fix that mistake and learn from it. If you cannot do that, then you obviously should not be in the position you are in.

"No Clear Direction, Too Much Focus on Corporate Partnerships and No Flexibility"

Former Employee - Associate Director, Development
    Former Employee - Associate Director, Development

I worked at American Diabetes Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Diabetes is a horrible disease and the people who live with it or who watch their family members live with it are heroes who need our support. There is an incredible network of people who are willing to fund-raise for this cause and it was an honor to work with them.

Cons

Poor leadership, no direction, countless useless meetings, a restructure that makes no sense and no money or time for local program development or management.

Advice to Management

Hire better EDs and RVPs and let them implement local fundraising plans. And let your development staff do what they are good at instead of focusing solely on weekly development reports from your CRM. It's a waste of everyone's time and you are losing too many good people.

"Area VP"

I worked at American Diabetes Association full-time

Pros

Importance of the mission in the largest US metro market where diabetes is epidemic

Cons

National leadership (lack of) and ever evolving strategic priorities

Advice to Management

Former CEO Hagan and his appointed (& unqualified Chief Revenue Officer Corey Gordon) created irreparable damage to the ADA brand. It's national Board should be accountable for their hire/retention.

9. "Overall Rewiew"

I have been working at American Diabetes Association full-time

Pros

Good benefits, Office Environment is contemporary.

Cons

Attrition rate is high

"Unfortunate but true"

I worked at American Diabetes Association full-time

Pros

Flexible somewhat. Decent benefits. Great networking opportunity.

Cons

Disorganized, company changes policy and procedure frequently, hard to get ahead.

Advice to Management

Training can be much better structured. Micromanagement is over the top and employees are basically overrun with conflicting information from the first day of employment.