American Diabetes Association Reviews | Glassdoor

American Diabetes Association Reviews

Updated March 14, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • great work/life balance for staff (in 16 reviews)

• Great cause, a lots of volunteer experience (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Good work-life balance, but we work hard while we're here (don't know if that is a con (in 8 reviews)

• Leadership who lacks experience in a non profit space that does not depend on millions of in-kind donations (in 13 reviews)

"Better before Kevin Hagan"

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at American Diabetes Association full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and vacation (PTO, sick & personal)

Cons

No job security - was working one day then laid off the next.

Advice to Management

It appears the new CEO has spent the last year and a half developing a strategy that amounted to laying off more than 150 employees including closing offices while taking no pay cut of his own.

"Great Teams, Bad Upper Management"

Current Employee - Manager in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at American Diabetes Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most employees feel positively about their own divisions and like their jobs. The mission of the organization is important, and many employees have been personally touched by diabetes. Volunteers are also fabulous. Pretty good vacation policy, even for new employees (kind of depends on your division though, because it doesn't roll over and some managers won't let everyone be out in December).

Cons

The corporate culture is horrendous. There is little to no trust of upper management. The current CEO, Kevin Hagan, promised a culture of transparency when he started, but it hasn't happened. No raises, bonuses, COL increases, tuition reimbursement. Expensive health care. Uncertainty about the future of the organization and your own employment status. Already experiencing severe brain drain.

Advice to Management

Transparency! The board should also fire the CEO. He brought in a number of people from his past employer, has presided over multiple "restructurings" and rounds of massive layoffs.

"Good Place to work"

Former Employee - Manager, Marketing Research
    Former Employee - Manager, Marketing Research

I worked at American Diabetes Association (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible, good leave time, people

Cons

the comp is lower than private companies

"Development Manager"

I have been working at American Diabetes Association full-time

Pros

Work life balance isn't to bad

Cons

Always making cuts to positions. This is not a stable job.

Advice to Management

n/a

"So many issues"

I worked at American Diabetes Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The mission - to find a cure for diabetes and support ALL people affected by diabetes. Good vacation and personal time off policy. Dedication of employees and volunteers trying to make a difference with very little in the way of quality technology and other resources.

Cons

This organization has been "re-organizing" for several years. Reorganizing = struggling. Since 2015, no pay raise of any type for the majority of employees. Transparency promised but not delivered. Some of the very recent positive reviews of this organization are from people who obviously survived the recent purge. Large layoffs with no advance warnings, health care benefits terminated the next day, stingiest severance package ever - all signs of a cash strapped company. Several aspects of the termination process were in violation of California Labor Law. HR's claim to "not know" the laws isn't acceptable.

Advice to Management

Your organization is dependent upon relationships. Many of your actions have damaged these relationships. Live up to your promises. The ship is sinking - not sure if you will be able to bail fast enough to prevent even more damage.

"This place is going down in flames....."

Current Employee - Director of Development
    Current Employee - Director of Development

Pros

Co-workers are the only thing that can get you through working here

Cons

Too many to list... Horrible management, constant firing of employees even though it is management who are at fault, low morale, low pay,

Advice to Management

Let new management take over - CEO and CFO are ruining this organization

8. "Manager, Development"

Current Employee - Manager, Development in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager, Development in Chicago, IL

Pros

Great cause, a lots of volunteer experience

Cons

Leadership is a bit lax and ever changing.

Advice to Management

Consistence is key.

"Alternative Facts/Still Unprepared"

I have been working at American Diabetes Association full-time

Pros

The Mission. Depending on your location and management: work/life balance.

Cons

After laying off 110 people at the end of January (may they all find better employment) the organization's leaders and board continue to show that they are unable to turn ADA into the world class organization that it deserves to be.
    Until the summer of 2016 our CEO kept reporting that our income was up and the organization was fiscally sound, turns out we were $37 million in the hole, which if you looked our financials showed all along - alternative fact #1.
    Post January layoffs - Staff have sat through three hours of meetings, with several more to come, about our strategic plan, however, no communication plan has been rolled out to staff members almost two weeks after the layoffs. Staff was told on 2/1 that they would receive info by week's end - alternative fact #2. Our CEO told us on 2/8 that the delayed rollout of strategy and communications was done on purpose- alternative fact #3. This is just another sign that leadership has no idea what they are doing and were not prepared for all of these grand changes. They knew that layoffs were taking place for months, how hard is it to give your employees talking points so they can properly communicate and be prepared for the fallout?
    Meanwhile, information is being communicated and leaked to volunteers and CLB members while staff continue to possess limited knowledge of their markets and the fates of their programs and/or events. Apparently, budgets have not even been finalized which serves as another indicator that leadership has not thought about the potential financial repercussions that may come from this latest set of changes.

Advice to Management

"Fake it 'till you make it" is clearly not working. Up until our recent election I've never seen people in the C-Suite and Executive Leadership more unfit to do their jobs. Please pack up and leave before ADA becomes a distant memory. To the board: bring us leadership that will be experienced and educationally innovative in the diabetes space. I believe Kevin and Corey are near ready to check out and move on to the next organization that they will eventually obliterate.

"Failure of Leadership"

I worked at American Diabetes Association full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The mission and the dedicated staff and grassroots volunteers.

Cons

This organization has been in a downward spiral for nearly five years. In 2015 a new CEO was brought on board promising a new day at ADA. Within a few months it became clear that he and his new team were utterly incompetent and unwilling to listen to input from staff. In October 2015 there was a restructure that involved laying off many staff and no strategic plan. It was crystal clear the organization was going to fail and it did. Knowing this, many of us left in late 2015/early 2016 but unfortunately some stayed. FY2016 brought revenue shortfalls of approximately $37MM and on 1.30.2017 nearly 130 dedicated staff lost their jobs and 25 offices were closed. This is a travesty and was completely avoidable. There is bound to be continued uncertainty and turmoil over the next year as ADA tries to recover from this. I would not recommend anyone apply to work here until the dust settles.

Advice to Management

I'm going to address the board here since management is non-existent. You failed. A number of you saw the devasting path this new CEO was taking the organization down and wanted to address it, but too many of you refused to see the incompetence right in front of you, Those of you who refused to see or act on what was so obvious should resign from the board and allow people who understand what it takes to lead an organization that is mission driven but revenue dependent to make these decisions. You own the tragic fate of this organization. Now the American Heart Association and JDRF will step in to fill the void left by your negligence. Thankfully they will ensure that people with diabetes or at risk for diabetes have a champion. Shame on you.

"Manager, eCampaigns"

I worked at American Diabetes Association full-time

Pros

Everyone is dedicated to the mission of stopping diabetes. The work environment is casual and laid back, great co-workers, benefits pretty good as well.

Cons

The organization as a whole had/is having issues managing itself financially which resulted in a lot of layoffs all at one time of new and long-time employees at the time of my departure (I luckily was able to find a new job before being laid off).