American Eagle Outfitters Reviews | Glassdoor

Jay Schottenstein

2,633 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • There is a big emphasis on meeting sales goals as well as getting customers to sign up for rewards and credit cards (in 188 reviews)

• work life balance is harsh, low pay (in 58 reviews)

1. "Fun job"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Corpus Christi, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Corpus Christi, TX

Pros

Fun Environment, great music, never boring, and great people. I like being able to blast my music before and after business hours.

Cons

Sometimes the job can be stressful. Trying to get people to get credit cards isn't so great. Its not a 9-5 so hours can vary, and during floor sets hours can be from 9pm-9am

Advice to Management

Stop making management push credit cards on consumers. Their job is stressful enough.

2. "American Eagle is the best place everr!"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Hanover, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Hanover, PA

Pros

Being around all the people. Managers are very nice.

Cons

The only thing that i would change is the amount of hours that i get. I would like to have more, but the number of employees its hard to do.

Advice to Management

none...he is perfect

3. "I enjoyed my experience at AE very much."

Current Employee - Sales Associate

Pros

It was a very welcoming place to work. I never felt pressure by commission. The atmosphere was very genuine and laid back. The jeans fit me incredibly. I love AE jeans. I was impressed by the way that management conducted meetings. I always felt like a part of a team.

Cons

Some of the fashion is boring, and stagnant. After a few seasons of graphic tees, it's necessary to move on. They need some more "grown up" looks, too. I know the demographic is younger. Why not introduce a new concept store that markets an older demographic post-grad? If they found a way to hook me again, I would be there in a heartbeat.

Advice to Management

I still love AE jeans, but I get frustrated because the market is obviously younger than me now.

4. "Excellent place to work!"

Current Employee - Sales Associate

Pros

Fun place to work, and if you move up in the company the basic morale and kinds of people that work there are fun to be around as well.

Cons

If you are hourly, the pay sometimes isnt very competitive, but excellent discounts make up for that.

Advice to Management

In general, they are motivated and have constructive feedback.

5. "Amazing place to work"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Victor, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Victor, NY

Pros

American Eagle is a great place to work due to the fun, laidback, business casual atmosphere, mangers are kind, and send down things from higher ups to help perform jobs better.. The sales associates work well as a team due to having no commisions for sales, Feedback from managers was incredible, chances for advancement are possible due to them promoting from within. Even District and Regional Managers treat associates like real people, and not numbers. Fun atmosphere, fun to work with customers, loyal customers come back, great employee discount!

Cons

Lack of hours, Some of the music is bad, Once a year wage increase,

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! I love working for your company

6. "This is not just another boring retail job."

Current Employee - Lead Cashier in Fredericksburg, VA
    Current Employee - Lead Cashier in Fredericksburg, VA

Pros

the best reason and most obvious reason is a fun enviornment. now holidays and upper management meetings are not fun to have to deal with as a main stay with the store, but the management team is top rate and very out going and friendly. The discount helps as well.

Cons

The biggest downside is low pay compared to most major retail outlets, the importance of getting credit cards. There have been nights when i have had five applications filled out an felt like i did nothing.

Advice to Management

I really dont know if there would be more i would change except for the heavy expectations put upon the most trusted sales people in the store. ( im one of them)

7. "A great place to work and room for advancement."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in York, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in York, PA

Pros

American Eagle has a great discount program for its customers. It helps for familys that do not have enough money to buy clothing at say: Abercrombie & Fitch.

The staff that I worked with was a lot of fun. Floor sets can be a bit tiring because they are overnight but if you work them then you are guarenteed to get at least an eight hour shift.

Cons

The only time that I would get a good amount of hours was in the summer, back to school shopping or Christmas. Other then that you are lucky if you can get 10 hours a week.

Advice to Management

None. The Mangement Staff was great.

8. "American Eagle Outfitters"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

The work-life balance at American Eagle is amazing. The culture is young and exciting; it is a very relaxed atmosphere.

Cons

I really had no complaints about working for the company. Since the move to the South Side, traffic has been somewhat of an issue, but most are flexible when it comes to this area.

Advice to Management

I have no major advice to management. I feel that the upper management cares about it's employees, and they show it.

9. "Good Place To Work"

Current Employee - Associate in Lehighton, PA
    Current Employee - Associate in Lehighton, PA

Pros

I loved working for American Eagle the best part about working there is the discount. My managers were okay and I got a good amount of hours to start. No complaints.

Cons

Late nights with floorsets can be a pain especially if your in school. Some of the associates called out their shifts and always called me to cover.

Advice to Management

Make sure you hire good quality people especially during the holidays.

10. "American Eagle Outfitters, Awesome!"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Northridge, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Northridge, CA

Pros

Management is very understanding of your needs, especially if you go to college and need time off every once in awhile. The atmosphere is fun and keeps you excited to go to work. Co-workers are very friendly and your relationship with them grows throughout your employment.

Cons

Can be very slow on weekdays, it can get a bit boring. Sometimes coverage is not that great and you find that only 2 employees are trying to serve 15+ customers, can get very tough. You don't get very high hours every week and you might need multiple jobs depending on your needs.

Advice to Management

Give out more hours!

Showing 2,633 of 2,663 reviews