American Equity Reviews | Glassdoor

John M. Matovina
1 Rating

1. "Director"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Des Moines, IA

I have been working at American Equity full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a company that truly cares about its employees. It isn't just words but consistently shown by actions. Provides promotion from within. Best most humble CEO.

Cons

That all employees don't always appreciate the great company they work for. Employees can have entitlement attitude trim time to time rather than appreciative attitude.

Advice to Management

Don't ever change the family caring culture. That was the secret sauce that escalated the company to tremendous success so quickly. It is the foundation for which to continue to build the castle upon.

"HORRIBLE UNFAIR PRACTICES"

Former Employee - Annuity Service Technician in West Des Moines, IA

Pros

There are no pros when it comes to being treated as a human being.

Cons

If you don't fit in with the click, forget your job and leave. I was bullied and shown the door.

Advice to Management

HR is the most unprofessional I have ever dealt with. They should be under investigation.

3. "Service specialist"

Former Employee - Service Specialist in West Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Service Specialist in West Des Moines, IA

I worked at American Equity (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing place to grow. Amazing bonus you get every year twice a year.

Cons

Hr can be a joke. And I sometimes felt like I was in highschool.

Advice to Management

I don't have anything I really can give advice about.

5. "A+ overall"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Des Moines, IA

Pros

Great hours and benefits. Growing company with small company feel. Lots of perks.

Cons

Some old fashion ways that need to be let go . . . But company is in a transition to more progressive ideas while maintaining some of the old fashion ideas that still work.

Advice to Management

Stay or become more in touch with how the employees really feel . . . Beyond what the managers say.

"Mind Numbing work while constantly being Micro Managed"

Former Employee - Service Technician in West Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Service Technician in West Des Moines, IA

I worked at American Equity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

37.5 hour work week
    Off at 1 on Fridays
    Nice Benefits

Cons

I graduated with a 4 year degree in marketing and management and I was treated like I was an idiot that didn't know up from down. I was basically forced out because they told me I was "hanging up on people". I got called up to HR and got accused of being a liar for 20-30 minutes. I would never recommend anyone to work at this place.

Advice to Management

Stop micro managing and treat people like they are people, not robots/idiots.

"Great Managers but Horrible HR Department"

Current Employee - Service Technician in Indianola, IA
    Current Employee - Service Technician in Indianola, IA

I have been working at American Equity (More than 5 years)

Pros

great pay, great schedcule, and some great people. Company has a good bonus program and decent benefits. Occurance schedule is not the best especially for parents.

Cons

HR is horrible they dont care about the employees even if you go to them with an issue trying to get help they will look at you like you are insignificant to them and like they dont have time for you, If you ever miss a day or take a day off you better keep your own record of occurances or you will end up with ones that shouldnt be there, if you have any kind of health issues or kids, or family emergencies good luck getting help with time off for anything bc they are under staffed . pay is constantly messed up, they say you will only have a 37 hour work week with Fridays off at one but its a lie. They hire people who are incompetent and lazy with no experience in Customer service. Good luck getting promoted unless your there 10 yrs and are a complete kiss up.

Advice to Management

Hire people who actually know what they are doing stop using temp agencies, change your occurance policy so you dont get an occurance for being 10 minutes late during a snow storm for crying out loud if someone misses half a day give them half an occurance maybe that would keep people from taking full days when its not needed and solve part of the understaffing issue, Note to HR: HR stands for Human Resources so please stop with the " Im beter than you attitudes" and start caring about your employees and look at more than just their attendance issues, health issues, and look at how they perform their job and look at all the customers who stayed with AE bc of the dedication from one employee and stop over ruling department managers who work with these people day to day.

"Great company with incredible benefits and family atmosphere."

Current Employee - Annuity Claims Administrator in West Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Annuity Claims Administrator in West Des Moines, IA

I have been working at American Equity full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The position promotes recognition and a somewhat small family friendly workplace. Company stock has doubled in the past 18 months, helping to increase company stockholder value. Company stock value has not only helped increase stockholder value, but present itself as a known company on Wall street. 37 hour work-week and off at 1 on Fridays.

Cons

Auditing seems to be a bit much, but it helps keep its employees working hard, efficient and timely. Quality & quantity standards are kept to a high standard, but those are valuable for a company to ensure those standards are met.

Advice to Management

Continuing doing what your doing in providing a valuable workplace, growing company stock and incredible benefits. Do not ever get rid of the click-bonus or ESOP as it provides a valuable benefit to the employees that 99% of all companies don't offer their normal day-to-day employees.

"Customer Service Rep - great company that cares about its employees"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in West Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in West Des Moines, IA

I have been working at American Equity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management does a lot to show it cares - free tickets to the fair, gift cards at thanksgiving, semi annual bonuses and stock ownership for all employees just to name a few. Its a great company to work for.

Management really listens to feedback and ideas. Several ideas submitted by employees have been implemented and become very successful.

The hours are great and everyone works together well as a team. Its the first job where I enjoy coming into work each day.

Health care coverage is one of the best plans in the nation and they supplement the cost with $50 extra per month. It only cost me $20 a month for my healthcare because of this.

Cons

Some of our technology is outdated - we seem to be 1-2 years behind our competition when it comes to client and agent account access/technology.

Advice to Management

Keep up with the times in terms of technology - get a better grasp on how things like social media and online reviews have an impact on the company

"Good experience working for a company that values customer service."

Current Employee - Marketing in West Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Marketing in West Des Moines, IA

I have been working at American Equity full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Customer service. Off early on Fridays. Honest products.

Cons

Tenure dictates upward mobility, not work product. Sr. management takes business personally. Lacks technology, innovation and creativity.

Advice to Management

When execs behave poorly and treat staff and agents badly, don't promote them. By not doing what's right for the company, it sends a message to staff that bad behavior is rewarded. Provide some sort of career track for those that are interested in progressing in their careers.

"Marketing Service Technician"

Former Employee - Annuity Service Technician in West Des Moines, IA

I worked at American Equity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Get friday afternoons off.
    * 37.5 hr work week
    * Most of your coworkers are pretty nice

Cons

* The job. It's call center work plain and simple
    * I'd rather join the Army. The army would allow you more freedoms than this place.
    * If you're a lower level employee, lets say below Director, expect to have your time extremely micro managed. You will have to log the time you leave your cube to go use the restroom. If you are spending too much time in the restroom on a given day you will be pulled aside. You are allowed two 15min breaks. Take a few seconds over 15mins and you will be pulled aside. If you are literally seconds late to start work you will be pulled aside. If these occurrences happen too frequently, their rule is no more than 8 occurrences in one year, you will be fired. Its ridiculous.
    * They will threaten to fire you if they see your cell phone out on your desk or see you use Facebook during work. You are not permitted to surf the internet. It is a fireable offense. They log ALL your browsing history. If, for example, you read the Des Moines Register every morning online and a management figure is suspicious you're surfing the web during work. They make a call down to IT. They see you've been going off the company site and boom! you're out the door no questions asked.
    * Pay is low. Annuity service technician and marketing service technician start off at 28k-30k depending on experience.
    *The place just blows

Advice to Management

Get with the times. Treat employees like adults not school children in detention