American Express Reviews in Fort Lauderdale, FL | Glassdoor

Ken Chenault

1. "Good"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at American Express full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Salaries are low but benefits are good. Love the work environment and collaboration possibilities. Many growth opportunities and ability to build new skills within the company.

Cons

Takes too long to deploy new projects. We have to creat too many decks for Sr Leaders. Needs to be more agile.

Advice to Management

None

"Great place to work IF you DO NOT work in customer service"

Former Employee - Platinum Customer Care Professional in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Platinum Customer Care Professional in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at American Express full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only good thing I can say about working here is that I liked my coworkers, the pay was decent, and the food in the cafeteria was very good. THATS IT.

Cons

This is a VERY stressful call center environment. The turn over rate in the customer service department is high for a reason! I had to deal with abuse day in and out from customers who speak to you as if you are a dog. The supervisors you call for "help" are not very helpful at all. In fact, they all hate their job, which makes yours even more difficult. I had to deal with other departments dumping (transferring calls without letting the customer know) calls on me when the customers were upset so that they wouldn't have to get a bad survey.

OH and the survey system they have in place is ridiculous and put in place just to avoid paying you a bonus. The bonus structure is very generous, but you will never see an ounce of your money you worked for if you get a bad survey.(bad surveys to amex means a survey that is not EXCELLENT, so even if the customer rated you VERY GOOD, its still bad to them). Bad surveys stay on your report for 30 days and commission is paid once a month so you do the math.

The schedule is soooooooo strict. You are not even allowed to use the bathroom whenever you want with out being questioned. You get one 40 mins lunch break and two 10 mins breaks if you work an 8 hour shift. If you don't handle your bathroom duties during that time, you can expect to have a meeting with your team leader about you not adhering to your schedule.

The PTO structure is also generous (23 days per year) BUT, if you work in customer service and you want a federal holiday off you will have to use your PTO days. But you can even forget about having any holidays off your first year working there. Time off requests are based off seniority and availability. Once everything is taken, then too bad for you, you just lose your days. The sick time was accrued at a rate of 4 hours per month and you can roll over sick days.

Advice to Management

There are alot of people in the other departments who don't follow the rules and make everyone else's job much harder. I spoke up about it multiple times, but no one ever does anything about it. Also, there needs to be major changes made to the survey system. It is flawed in the sense that sometimes you get surveys that clearly aren't yours, but you have to suffer and lose out on a bonus because of it.

3. "HBS"

Current Employee - Customer Care Professional in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Care Professional in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at American Express full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Pay and PTO. Also 401k and Health Equity account helps out.

Cons

VERY Poor Work life balance

5. "You WILL be laid off"

Former Employee - Membership Rewards Consultant in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Membership Rewards Consultant in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at American Express full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

At least you don't have to buy government insurance since you'll get benefits from day one.

Cons

These positive reviews crack me up. These are written largely by the blissfully unaware. Sure, if you're under 35 years old, you have a chance to be happy at Amex for a little while (until you realize that you're doing the work of three people, with nearly impossible-to-meet goals). There is ZERO job security because Amex is completely un-innovative and seeks to cut costs by sacrificing the employees that had nothing to do with losing major contracts like JetBlue and Costco (how long before the last big hold-out, Delta Airlines, realizes they're still partnered with an outdated soul-less dinosaur)? Until you do get laid off, be prepared to be reviewed annually (actually twice a year, because you have to write your own "mid-year" as well) based in huge part on customer surveys. That would be ok except for the fact that customers are asked questions about experiences over which you have no control or were even a part of. How blatantly unfair. Also, be prepared to work for a team leader who is dumb as a bag of hammers. If you work in Fort Lauderdale, you know who you are - you may have been fooling those above you all these years, but you've never fooled those of us who work under you! I had in excess of 15 different team leaders (management confuses shuffling people around with employee development) and MAYBE two or three of them had any knowledge (or ability for that matter) to do the job of the people they supervised. Some of the other review writers here seem to think that those of us who had direct customer interface were treated well. I don't know where that idea comes from because Amex treated all band 25 employees at our location like yesterday's garbage and the Fort Lauderdale location is very heavy on customer contact. (I spoke to 20+ Cardmembers daily).
    Also, if you like attending endless mindless meetings, you'll love working at Amex. I can't tell you the number of countless, tortuous hours spent listening to some dumb dumb or another drone on with their artificial "I'm so happy I work here" face on, designed solely to impress whatever dumb dumb they report to, none of whom dare rock the boat with any original thoughts; that would be too risky. You can read it on every one of their faces, "God, just let me not be in the next round of layoffs...."
    American Express first lost it's way back in the 70s from what I understand. They were too cocky with their "we're all that" attitude. They did manage to get back on track but they still coast on their artificial reputation. They no longer provide exceptional customer service, which was the thing that differentiated them all these years. It's now done mostly "offshore" by non-Americans who use the short time they intend to be with the company as a resume builder and couldn't care less about Amex or its customers and who, by the way, severely lack integrity and work ethic. So it's no surprise that the JD Powers award has gone to Discover the last few years, after having been given to Amex for the prior 8 or 10 years (I forget how many in a row, but a HUGE deal was made of winning it every year, all the big wigs patting one another on the back for a job well done, while pretending to give us low levels all the credit by handing out cupcakes on the big day. Golly! Thanks!). Suddenly, when Discover realized that one great way to win the hearts of their customers is to get the word out that when you call them, you'll get a US-based (translation: American) representative, along with the fact that there's not one good reason in the world to use a Card with an annual fee (a substantial part of Amex's customer portfolio), the JD Powers award is barely whispered about in the halls of the Amex building I worked in, other than by us lowly band 25s who frankly giggled our butts off about it since we knew we were on the chopping block anyway.
    Since Amex let me go, I'm having trouble paying my credit card bills. I've prioritized which will get paid and which won't. I find bitter justice in the fact that I'm going to pay off my Discover Card but not my Amex. There's a bit of karma for you American Express.

Advice to Management

See above.

"AMEX"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at American Express full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay isn't bad and the benefits are pretty good. They offer a good amount of vacation time as long as you don't miss your quota.

Cons

There are a lot of changes that occur and very little communication. While I worked there we were switched from salary employees to hourly and management never informed us. We were actually promised by the Vice President of the department that our job classifications would not change which was incorrect.
    This is a sales environment so quotas are expected to change. Unfortunately as the quotas increase the amount paid for production decreases. You could easily be told to produce 40% more while experiencing a 30% pay cut to your commission.
    After all of the changes the pay no longer seemed worth it.
    Mobility within the company is extremely political.

Advice to Management

Be honest with your employees so they do not feel insulted or lied to when changes occur.

7. "Business analyst"

Former Employee - Analyst in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Analyst in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at American Express full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

American Express has great benefits with backup child care

Cons

Moving jobs to other countries and bring the jobs back to USA

"Software Engineer (PEGA CSA)"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at American Express full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers. Good learning experience. Fantastic benefits and PTO. Good management team.

Cons

Over reliance on contractors. Different teams within department billing each other is ridiculous. We're all on the same team, get the job done. Blue work space is also silly, we should either be in our own desks or in a scrum room.

Advice to Management

Rely less on contractors. Get different teams collaborating.

9. "Corporate America at its worst."

Former Employee - Lead Developer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Lead Developer in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at American Express full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

benefits and salary and displacement package was awesome

Cons

everything other than benefits and salary. too much reliance on Indians, every day you had to worry you would lose a job. I've worked at Amex over 20 years and every single day I had to worry jobs were being cut. Best thing that ever happened to me was being displaced. At my "meeting with my VP" i was told to please post for other positions and I said there is no way, give me my package and I am outta here. Life is so much better away from this terrible place. Don't miss it for a moment other than some of the women I was friends with

Advice to Management

try and have some concern for your employees. Remember, this is "American" express

"Senior Executive Assistant"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant I in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant I in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at American Express full-time

Pros

Salary, Benefits, Work/Life Balance (under an understanding leader) Was happy to leave on my own terms. Others not so lucky.

Cons

Top performers are still subject to layoffs.

Advice to Management

Groups have no idea what other groups are doing. No communication between work groups. Friends of management are placed in jobs or hired as contractors when layoffs occur. This brings my rating down to one star.

11. "Amazing family oriented organization."

Current Employee - CEN CCP in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - CEN CCP in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at American Express full-time

Pros

Great work like balance work great amenities available to all employees. Employees are treated with respect & kindness.

Cons

None at this time. Its a massive company & the l various locations are also pretty big so its hard to meet some people but management checks in often.

Advice to Management

Work hard and you will be promoted

Showing 94 of 4,857 reviews