American Express Global Business Travel Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.5
Doug Anderson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work from home, great work / life balance (in 27 reviews)

• Good work-life balance- I go to my yoga class right after work and have attended all my kids events (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • GBT is a split off from the American Express corporation (in 24 reviews)

• Not enough focus on employees and work life balance (in 11 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Amheretostay"

Current Employee - Team Leader
    Current Employee - Team Leader

I have been working at American Express Global Business Travel full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities to learn, update ones knowledge./stay current and explore. Cutting edge technology available and resources- how you can customize and use them to your account benefit is up to you. Super considerate management. Peers are kind and helpful. Mostly virtual employees. Employee satisfaction committees check pulse often and conduct fun activities/contests .Management open and approachable to suggestions/improvements. Travel counselors are empowered to do their best and rewarded. Virtual employees feel connected due to various methods/technology used to stay engaged. The caliber of Travel counselors is very high, which makes customer satisfaction high - overall a good quality. Good work-life balance- I go to my yoga class right after work and have attended all my kids events!

Cons

Too many Acronyms to remember. Slower process with tech assistance- first level seems very basic. Interview process cumbersome -lots of vetting and offers are given only to the best in the field..

Advice to Management

Ideally,we need to increase staff / develop tech support to the level of using "Chat" features or email on a regular basis to get instant help for TCs on phones.

2. "Former Account Manager"

Former Employee - Former Account Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Former Account Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at American Express Global Business Travel full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great vacation times and benefits
    Great first level management
    Great colleages

Cons

A Senior/Executive level Management does not provide a clear direction-it changes daily. No one has any confidence that Executive leadership knows what they are doing or where they are headed. They have created a toxic environment from employees who were truly rooting for the new brand to win. They brought in too many folks from the outside namely ADT who have no travel industry knowledge and are just not good leaders. They did not adopt the Bluebox strategy they crapped on the folks who dedicated there lives to the company by folks who are only out to brand themselves.

Advice to Management

Stop bring in top leadership without any travel industry experience. Stop bringing in ADP folks with all their cronies who could careless about Amex GBT. Start promoting from within, with people who are dedicated to us!

3. "Could be worst, could be better !"

I have been working at American Express Global Business Travel full-time

Pros

Made some truly friends, work with good people.

Cons

Goal difficult to reach, a lot of pressure, but can be handled.

Advice to Management

More consideration for your people.

"Aggressive"

I have been working at American Express Global Business Travel full-time

Pros

The people are helpful. Teamwork within the divisions are strong

Cons

Despite record results, it is not good enough.

Advice to Management

Celebrate successes more often

5. "Not the same old company"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Tampa, FL

Pros

Plenty of room to move around and do new things in different places

Cons

Lots of growing pains after separating from American Express, makes you realize how good the benefits were with Amex .

"Opportunities"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Flexible work hours for virtual employees

Cons

Hard to create a professional development plan when the career path I would like to follow keeps having its opportunities sent offshore.

7. "Going downhill quickly"

I worked at American Express Global Business Travel full-time

Pros

Getting to work from home, not micromanaged. PTO is nice and they really do try for a great work life balance

Cons

No communication, Higher ups have no idea what is actually going on. No loyalty to employees.

"Show you really care about employees im actions, not words"

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at American Express Global Business Travel full-time

Pros

Ability to work remote from home, corporate culture, employee integrity and collaboration

Cons

Reengineering focus, cutting too many costs and losing high performing/ talented employees was shock to many. Inability to place them in other roles is disturbing and removing them with no future org plan. Lack of employee compensation growth creating low morale; poor communication from executive senior leadership. Biggest saving grace is ability to work from home but upward mobility or career growth is limited for virtual staff.

Advice to Management

Employees work hard; many like me doing the job of three. Business unit decision to cut salary increase by 50% even when funds were available was an awful blow. Senior leadership is not in touch with staff. More regular updates on business performance, strategy, etc ..a few short but quality quarterly emails from leadership would be appreciated. Dont hear Doug or other leadership even within bus unit visiting offices or staff. And dont cite vague empty messaging expected to boost morale..we all see though it.

9. "Good Place To Start Your Career"

I have been working at American Express Global Business Travel full-time

Pros

Good Benefits, Work From Home, Upward Mobility

Cons

Lack of Training, Lower Pay, No bonuses

"Proceed with caution"

I have been working at American Express Global Business Travel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

GBT has lot of talented and good people. Great colleagues make working here much more bearable. Flexible arrangements for those that work at home.

Cons

Expectation is that all are available on evenings and weekends - work/life balance is not a priority . Most leaders never speak of leadership nor do they take the time to develop and lead. Turnover is rampant at all levels. I couldn't recommend the company unless there were no other options. Morale is very low across the company.

Advice to Management

Current CEO has been in place for over 18 months and only communicates when there is a natural disaster. Common belief is that he is preparing the company to be sold and cutting expenses. Employee engagement and satisfaction is an afterthought.