American Express Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Constant Changes"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at American Express full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great work life balance, PTO, and sick.

Cons

They keep moving US jobs out of country. Employees don’t feel the loyalty that they once did. Being a high performer no longer makes you feel that your job is safe.

Advice to Management

Work on retaining your high performers and quit moving jobs. Start investing in your people again. Department structures keep merging changing and makes it confusing to employees.

2. "Not so bad not so good"

Current Employee - Industrial Engineer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Industrial Engineer in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at American Express full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best pro is the resources you have, the company aims to have the latest technology for the people to succeed. Also, the people, you get to work with very talented and smart individuals. Finally, if you work hard and deliver climbing positions (up to the Director level) is relatively easy. Depending on your team your work and contribution will make sense and you will be actually able to see (and even use) what you created. Also, at least in the engineering dept, senior leaders try their best to showcase their vision to their teams so everybody is clear on what is the objective and what is expected to achieve.

In terms of benefits, PTO is the best perk, you get plenty of it and basically are free to take it whenever you want. Also the tuition reimbursement and health insurance is ok, it is not very expensive, has good coverage but the deductible is high.

Salary-wise I believe is not bad to be honest, could be better, but not bad.

Cons

If I say it’s people in the Pros I need to say it’s people in the cons as well. There are plenty of unprepared, with lack of vision tenured employees, which makes everyone’s life harder. Their unwillingness to help and support other teams is exhaustive to a point that people quit because of this (even me constantly thinking about it) it is an inexplicable level of laziness, that basically shames everyone else in the enterprise. I would say the constitute maybe 20-30% of the workforce, hopefully in some years this isn’t a problem anymore as I know that amex is trying to hire talented and prepared individuals. Believe me when I tell you that dealing with people who are there just for a paycheck and nothing else is EXHAUSTIVE.

Then after this is bureaucracy, you may lose days, weeks and even months getting alignment on next steps on projects. I have been in a situation that I had basically nothing to do on a day just waiting on an email to come back and proceed (thankfully for the company I always try to keep myself busy helping others) This makes this move slow, the amount of time wasted on formalities is unmeasurable, and some times you don’t even know what is the purpose of what you’re doing. Such as having to run an analysis 2-3 times because leadership wanted to be very sure, leading to the conclusion that they don’t have courage to take risks.

Advice to Management

Honestly not much, I have been and everybody is well aware of this. Even the CEO mentioned on his last town hall.

3. "Lead Business Systems Analyst"

Former Employee - Lead Business Systems Analyst in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Lead Business Systems Analyst in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at American Express full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great pay for long hours.

Cons

FTE’s being let go and exchange for Indian consultants.

4. "Director"

I have been working at American Express full-time

Pros

Great work / life balance and benefits. Many opportunities for growth internally.

Cons

Difficult to get things done, highly layered and bureaucratic. Below average pay.

5. "decent company"

I worked at American Express full-time

Pros

work life balance, people, location

Cons

compliance requirements, slow decisions and hierarchy

6. "Small Business - Work at Home"

I worked at American Express full-time

Pros

You get the perks of working for one of the best companies in the world and working from home.

Cons

Extremely competitive with customer surveys and reviews. Even if you are perfect on a call, but can't help the customer they are going to give you a bad review.

Advice to Management

Perhaps value your employees more versus surveys.

7. "Unfair, hectic environment but good benefits"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunrise, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunrise, FL

I have been working at American Express full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Parental leave, 184 hours of vacation time in your first 5 years, nurse on staff, (expensive and mediocre) cafeteria, gym on site. Prestigious brand.

Cons

Favoritism, almost impossible to move up without being insanely fake (skills don’t matter), no breaks to use the bathroom, treated like a prisoner to the phone, get in trouble when you take lunch or break MINUTES late, micro management because leaders don’t actually want to focus on ways to better the environment, raises are a joke, tons of lateral moves but barely any actual opportunity for promotions. I’ve worked here almost 5 years and I’m in constant fear of being fired for something petty, even though I’m a hard worker. You are only a metric. Your payout is based on how the caller rates Amex, not you. Everything is black and white. I have anxiety all the time. This job is not good for your mental health. I’ve never seen so many people with mental health FMLA!!! why doesn’t the company take action? It’s very alarming.

Advice to Management

Stop ignoring the large amount of mental health FMLA employees - try to figure out how you can better the environment for our mental health. I promise you’ll only rep benefits

8. "Business Analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at American Express full-time

Pros

Great training, enviornment and benefits

Cons

Provide more employee recognition to leadership

Advice to Management

Provide more individual recognition

9. "Risk Management Manager"

I worked at American Express full-time

Pros

Good work to life balance
    Good starting salary & Benefits

Cons

Internal politics in work environment

10. "It’s sales not customer service."

Former Employee - HOME BASED SERVICE - Customer Care Professional
    Former Employee - HOME BASED SERVICE - Customer Care Professional

I worked at American Express full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work from home, pay, pto

Cons

The job is sales not customer service. If you don’t sell, you’re not successful.

Showing 1,276 of 5,553 reviews