American Express Travel Counselor Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Things have changed"

Former Employee - Specialized Corporate Travel Counselor in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Specialized Corporate Travel Counselor in Atlanta, GA

I worked at American Express (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working for a well respected global corporation.

Cons

Micro-management, metrics that don't hold the highest levels accountable for the customer experience, training has been reduced and is ineffective, employees are seen as numbers but are expected to deliver world class service.

Advice to Management

The Consumer Travel division needs to be restructured and organized into an efficient system. This should include real teams that partner together for the cardmember.

2. "Travel Counselor"

Former Employee - Travel Counselor in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Travel Counselor in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at American Express full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company benefits are excellent. Other departments in the company are great. Cafeteria is convenient.

Cons

Lack of management support. Perks to the job are a plus but you never get to use them. Very stressful job. Customer surveys are great if you do an excellent job. However, if you get a survey back for someone that you didn't help, they do not take this survey out of away from your rating. Impossible to meet or exceed the goals that are expected. Do not recommend being a Travel Counselor for this company.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees needs. Don't focus so much on the customer. If you take care of your employees, they will take care of the customer!

"The grass is not always green on this side"

Current Employee - Travel Counselor II in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Travel Counselor II in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at American Express full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Generous PTO, you can choose to purchase up to 5 days of addtl Vacation days. They pay you based on your travel experience, you get a raise every year its not much but at least it's a raise! You get quarterly incentives for your RTF and Revenue performance. Awesome employee benefits health and medical ins, counseling, 401k etc! And you get to stay in 5 stars hotel for up to 6 nights (2nts each) in a year! Fam trips offered every year.

Cons

You get a tl that doesn't know how to motivate you so your performance goes to hell..
    and then you get passed around to different tls because they smchange your schedule every year.
    The upper management doesn't understand the business, they advertise a great benefit to the card members only to find out that they are losing money on it so they take it back leaving the card members dissatisfied, most of your survey detractors are cardmembers who has something to complain about so its close to impossible to reach your rtf goal and then if you don't reach a certain percentage in your rtf you lose your revenue incentive which was a big blindside for me! And when your performance is down you get the suckiest schedule of your life, double weekends and night shift, which means if you take this job get ready to say goodbye to your social life.

Advice to Management

You really should hire more people and train them better so hold time gets improved and you get less csi
    Counselors should not be responsible for detractors such as hold times, ticketing fees, and not competitive pricing! That's not our fault we try our best to our ability to please the card members when all they can do is complain over how they have to pay extra more for tket fees and wait for a looong hold times to get someone who knows what their doing.

"Great company to work for."

Former Employee - Travel Counselor I in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Travel Counselor I in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at American Express full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are a lot of Benefits to working here. Working in the travel department allowed us to take advantage of different travel benefits. Also enjoyed the People, Atmosphere, Training and mentorship program.

Cons

The reason I left was because of my direct leader. The leader was. It willing to coach or guide myself as a CSR.

Advice to Management

Really look for ways to help the front line employee. I would love to work here again.

"Travel Counselor I"

Former Employee - Travel Counselor I in Lawrenceville, GA
    Former Employee - Travel Counselor I in Lawrenceville, GA

I worked at American Express full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

American Express Travel is a great company to work for because they have excellent benefits which start at day one when you are hired. They have an excellent training program for new travel agents

Cons

Some of the downsides of working for American Express Travel is that when you are hired as a travel agent they do not treat you as such since they have become a bank. There too many rules and compliances to try and keep you from making bonuses. They are always constantly making changes and expect agents to stay on top.

Advice to Management

I used to believe that management cared about the employees, but since I was terminated for being on the phone with clients for longer than they wanted , that changed. I had good RTF (refer to a friend), I had good sales as well and repeat clients. I am a travel agent NOT a banker. Sure I was warned but that should not have been the focus because made the company money. Management wanted me to talk and type, well you cannot talk and type in system called ENCORE. This reason for terminating me does not define me as a person. I was at American Express Travel for over 11 years and I get terminated for such a menial reason that does not amount to a hill of beans.

"They've got this virtual thing down"

Current Employee - Travel Counselor in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Travel Counselor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at American Express full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work from home opportunities. Nice people. Supportive environment to succeed. Great large company infrastructure & benefits are average to good.

Cons

Training needs a bit more depth. One feels alone when stuck. Hard to ask questions when live on the line. Medical contribution are horrible for such a large company.

Advice to Management

More positive feedback.

"Travel Counselor"

Former Employee - Travel Counselor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Travel Counselor in New York, NY

I worked at American Express (Less than a year)

Pros

Options to choose 8x5 or 10x4 shifts.
    Free hotel stays with the agent stay program
    Work at home environment - Time and money saved

Cons

Poor management
    Lack of support when needed
    Loneliness
    Using RTF as a way to judge your performance is extremely unfair. You are held accountable for something that is not your fault

Advice to Management

Gotta find better ways to rate an employee's performance instead of using the RTF

"Traveler Counselor II"

Former Employee - Travel Counselor in Lawrenceville, GA
    Former Employee - Travel Counselor in Lawrenceville, GA

I worked at American Express full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Benefits, diversity cultural atmosphere,

Cons

Need qualified trainers with patients.

Advice to Management

Hire trainers that are more patients with their new hires.

"Good if accustomed to Call Center environment"

Current Employee - Travel Counselor
    Current Employee - Travel Counselor

Pros

Best thing is the vacation time you accrue, although you have to be VERY flexible with when they allow you to take it. Overall, the supervisors are supportive but if you get a poor one you can be completely miserable. Health benefits are good but expensive.

Cons

Performance is based largely on Customer surveys but the surveys are often misdirected to wrong agent or department and no corrections are ever processed. This causes a huge impact on bonuses, yearly reviews, and shift bid rankings.

Advice to Management

Please reevaluate the use and impact of RTF surveys since they do not accurately reflect the interactions between Travel Counselors and Cardmembers.

"Travel Counselor"

Former Employee - Travel Counselor in Sanford, FL
    Former Employee - Travel Counselor in Sanford, FL

I worked at American Express (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, 401K great, PTO the best . It is really beside anything a great company

Cons

Amex does accept discriminatory comments about their employees from card members
    on the surveys receive. If TBASS or survey comes with a negative score with discriminatory comments they still penalize employee. They do not care

Advice to Management

Upper Management mus not forget that when they hire employees they know that they all come from different nationalities and different languages. They must be more empathetic.