American Family Insurance Reviews | Glassdoor

American Family Insurance Reviews

Updated February 20, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Amazing work-life balance, flexible weekly work schedules (in 33 reviews)

• Very flexible, awesome people and great benefits (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management either refuses to acknowledge how many hours their field staff puts in or just doesn't care (in 28 reviews)

• Many of the leaders initiating and leading these changes have little to no direct claims experience (in 13 reviews)

"CSR-call center"

Current Employee - Call Center Representative I in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Call Center Representative I in Madison, WI

I have been working at American Family Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay
    401k
    Pension (told this will be pulled soon however by upper management)

Cons

Just found out that as of 2017, all holidays are mandatory. Company no longer sees you as a person. The entire department is very upset and no longer valued. Very sad and nothing like it used to be

Advice to Management

For the last 2 years, our call center has gone downhill. Treated as numbers not people. Go back to the work life balance and pro employee you once were.

Jan 26, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Representative

Hello and thank you for your feedback. American Family offers its employees both a 401(k) Plan and an Employee Pension Plan and there is no intent to remove these benefits in the near future. To ... More

"Started out good then went south."

Current Employee - Agent Assistant/Office Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Agent Assistant/Office Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at American Family Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, steady job, demand for in market. Service lines extremely friendly and helpful. Great training classes for different skills.

Cons

Billing department has issues. Discounts fall off even when everything is done right. Rates aren't competitive. Program has a lot of bugs.

Advice to Management

Fix the wait time for billing and train them better, kind of a mess when dealing with them. . Work more on the bugs in the program software so not so many errors and problems.

""Bob Mallow Agency" A waste of time"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Wauwatosa, WI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Wauwatosa, WI

Pros

-Learning about the insurance industry
    -Meeting the customers
    -Hours of work

Cons

-Incredibly poor training
    -Unpaid training
    -State Certification tests not paid for
    -No upward movement possible
    -No benefits provided by the company
    -Low wages
    -Poor management that does not want to take the time and invest in their employees....would rather go golfing than be in their office
    -Ad listing will show $16 an hour once full trained. I was hired, promised this $16 a hour once I was fully trained. Once I became fully trained the agency owner claimed he had never talked about this stipulation and left my pay at $12 an hour.
    -$16 an hour is listed on the job add, and still is currently

5. "Best job I've ever had"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at American Family Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love the atmosphere. I work for an American Family Insurance agency and I absolutely love it. My agency owner is very flexible, ensured that I got time off for paternity leave when my daughter was born, and takes the utmost best care of myself and my only coworker. American Family corporate has always been very helpful and they are always pleasant to interact with. They are constantly holding trainings to ensure that us at the agencies are up to speed on the best practices.

Cons

I really can't think of any cons. I have never been so extremely happy at a work place. I guess the one con would be the sales goals. While they are achievable, they are extremely difficult for some of the smaller agencies, where as the very large agencies achieve these goals in no time at all. It would be nice if those goals were set based on your current level.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Management is almost always available to help, and if they don't know the answers, they will quickly find them.

6. "Great work life balance"

Current Employee - Planning Administrative Administrator in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Planning Administrative Administrator in Madison, WI

I have been working at American Family Insurance (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and flexible schedules. Room for advancement. Wonderful work/life balance.

Cons

Far too many re-orgs. Lots of management. Not enough support from leadership.

Dec 15, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Representative

Hello. It looks like your experience here at American Family Insurance is fairly positive. We do value work/life balance, helping you advance in your career, your health and well-being! Thank you for ... More

7. "Class action lawsuit in courts now for treating contracted agents as employee"

Former Employee - Owner in Spokane, WA
    Former Employee - Owner in Spokane, WA

I worked at American Family Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Loved owning my own business until ASM started recruiting my staff unethically, I have to write at least twenty words to save this review but having a hard time with pros.

Cons

ASM felt entitled to unethically Recruit staff behind agency owners back. I had two of my staff members approached for agency opportunity behind my back. Staff came to me to tell me, not the ASM. Lost respect and trust in management as it's very time consuming to replace and tremendously hurts the business. Other agents in district lost confidence in management and company for the last few years. Treat contracted agents as employees and ALL aspects of the business are interfered by management daily. Treat agency owners (hired as contractors) as employees to avoid paying benefits but want all the control. "American Family’s conduct is exactly the type of conduct Congress intended to remedy by enacting ERISA and the Agent-employees are the individuals entitled to ERISA’s protections" (statement copied from court documents) since treated as employees.

Advice to Management

Treat hard working agents with respect and be the managers that agents can have confidence in when they work so hard to grow their businesses - not treat agents unethically behind their backs; that causes many other agents to lose confidence in the company and high agency turn over results in clients to have low confidence in the company.

8. "Sales Specialist"

Pros

Decent Pay, Flexible Hours, Bonus Opportunities

Cons

High start up cost to get licensed

9. "No longer an american IT Department"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Madison, WI

Pros

It is better than being unemployed

Cons

IT department is in the process of outsourcing what it can. If it can't, it is replacing american workers with cheap Indian labor that have no background in the business.

Advice to Management

Outsourcing, whether to India or to an Indian consulting company, doesn't work if you don't have rigid control by people who are knowledgeable . You're letting your institutional knowledge get replaced by people and companies who are not interested in how your business works

"Great company"

Current Employee - Associate Underwriter in Watertown, WI
    Current Employee - Associate Underwriter in Watertown, WI

I have been working at American Family Insurance (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours and nice coworkers

Cons

Professional Development is not highlighted in many positions.

Nov 28, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Representative

Hi! Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. There are numerous employee programs dedicated to helping you advance in your career. We offer in person and online learning programs, as ... More

11. "AmFAM"

Pros

I loved to work at AmFam

Cons

NONE, i think it was a great place

Advice to Management

KEEP IT UP you guys rock