American Fidelity Assurance Company Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bill Cameron

Pros
Cons
  • For a company that wants us to have work/life balance it is hard to make time when we are always forced to do mandatory overtime when things get busy (in 4 reviews)

• The position requires overnight travel, they were very upfront about that requirement in the interview process (in 5 reviews)

"HQ is a great place to work, with a lot of perks; some change is needed, though"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at American Fidelity Assurance Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture and perks are the biggest pros. "Dress for your day" is wonderful, and things like the gym, cafe, insurance, 401(k) are great. The defined-benefit pension is especially rare but welcome. The company is extraordinarily stable, with management seeming to prefer stable, sustainable growth over short-term gains as is common with publicly-traded companies. The longevity here is unreal, with many employees having tenures of 20-30 years, and there is a reason for it.

Cons

With tenure comes well-entrenched habits. In customer-facing areas, the company is eager to improve and test conventional wisdom, even implementing a regular LEAN review of departments every couple of years. But in internal departments (accounting, HR, IT) management and long-tenure employees both are extremely entrenched and resistant to change, even when it would improve the efficiency and performance of the department. "This is how we've always done it" is not an uncommon justification, and that needs to stop. Also, the long tenure of most employees means after you reach a certain point in your career you won't move up the ladder until someone dies or retires.

Advice to Management

"This is how we've always done it" is never a valid justification for a policy or procedure. Hold internal departments to task on process improvement and efficiency. Also, modernize the IT infrastructure.

Mar 6, 2017 – Talent Management Team

Thank you for your feedback. The Strategic Quality Management team is always happy to hear ideas for Lean projects. Please contact an SQM Colleague to make a suggestion. You can also share ... More

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Benefits Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Benefits Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at American Fidelity Assurance Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Family atmosphere. Great team environment. Flexible work hours. Paid person time is great. Open to new suggestions. Yearly bonus is great. Telecommuting is a huge plus!

Cons

Low salary because so much emphasis on the bonus. A lot of micromanaging at times. Meetings can be monotonous at times.

Advice to Management

Know who your top performers are, pay better at raise time, give appreciation more and do what you can to keep the good employees. Please allow telecommuting 5 days a week every week! Employees get a lot more done at home and questions can still be asked via telephone, IM or email.

3. "Great company!"

Current Employee - Internal Auditor in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Internal Auditor in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at American Fidelity Assurance Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work life balance.
    Wonderful health incentives.
    Pay for tuition to further education.
    Rarely any overtime.

Cons

Pay is slightly below market rate for all positions.
    Too much emphasis placed on bonus which is taxed at a much higher rate than regular salary income.

Advice to Management

Put less emphasis on the bonus and more emphasis on increasing the base pay of all non-commissioned employees.

5. "Great family culture, benefits, perks, mixed leadership quality/consistency, terribly political charged environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at American Fidelity Assurance Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Compensation, Benefits, perks, pension, immeasurable family culture, surprisingly pro work/life balance, new work environment, top food service with subsidized food costs for healthy choices, on-site amenities, location, cross-divisional participation - Lean, Six Sigma, etc., emphasis on continuous improvement, personal improvement focus

Cons

High stress, low recognition, inconsistent management practices, old school management thinking, undervalued departments, politics are atrocious across the organization, security division is poison, prefers blocking roads versus protected escort, management prefers big ideas and vision over practicality and realistic productivity (for example - open, collaborative workspace/floor for a division spent mostly on focus work daily)

Advice to Management

Listen to colleagues, don't provide the answers for them and let them provide and implement solutions, value operational roles, invest in colleague training, get back to "promote within" values, compensate and title positions accurately, and lastly, just thank the colleagues for the good work they do everyday. As Dave Carpenter says, "we are too hard on ourselves" (and on subordinates) "we need to look at all the great things we're doing"

6. "Executive Account Manager"

Former Employee - Executive Account Manager in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Employee - Executive Account Manager in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at American Fidelity Assurance Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This company has its eye on the ball and stays up with current events. I would recommend this company to family and friends seeking a career in insurance and customer service.

Cons

I worked in the field and regardless of how they advertise it, it is a road warrior position. The position included daily travel and about 50-60% overnight travel in my area.

Advice to Management

People don't leave bad companies, they leave bad managers. Any field position comes with pros and cons and my case I left because of mid-level management.

"Sales"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Little Rock, AR

I worked at American Fidelity Assurance Company (More than 8 years)

Pros

Close family owned company with strong values

Cons

Slow to adapt to the market demands. Unqualified leadership

Apr 14, 2016 – Talent Management Team

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Most of our leadership are Colleagues who have been promoted from within the Company due to their industry and leadership skills, knowledge of the Company and ... More

"Cares about people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

Pros

The company has flexible working hours, friendly employees and accessible management. Doesn't run like a sweatshop and gives you operational freedom as long as you're productive and committed. Offers good compensation and benefits.

Cons

Promotion is based more on tenure than on merit. Decisions are very political as management is careful about upsetting departmental interests. Technology and process improvements take ages for the same reason.

9. "Software Developer Intern"

Former Employee - Software Developer Intern in Spring, TX
    Former Employee - Software Developer Intern in Spring, TX

I worked at American Fidelity Assurance Company (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly staff, Flexible work attire, You set your hours as long as you get your work done, manager and team was more than willing to help interns learn

Cons

Sometimes having more freedom was a little overwhelming as an intern.

Jan 15, 2016 – Talent Management Team

Thank you for your feedback!

10. "Specialist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at American Fidelity Assurance Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The company really does care about its Colleagues and believes in keeping talent by promoting from within as much as possible. There is a good work/life balance and many benefits and perks

Cons

Because of the many perks and benefits, there has become a sense of entitlement in many Colleagues.

"Truly the BEST place to work!!!!"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Ann Arbor, MI

Pros

Backing of a corporate structure/ ability to manage your own territory
    Leadership takes the time to train you and goes out into the field with you on a weekly basis
    Company Car/Gas card/insurance provided by the company
    No glass ceiling/ If you work hard you can make more money than you ever have while still doing what's right for the customer
    Best benefits that I have seen at an corporation/ still has a pension plan
    Ability to work as a team and get advice from team members that your success as much as theirs.

Cons

Travel - this is explained at all the interviews but make sure you tell your family about the time away

Advice to Management

I appreciate your willingness to always be there in time of need. You truly make my job easier by removing an roadblocks that might be in my way.

Jun 25, 2015 – Talent Management Team

Awesome! Thank you for your feedback!