American Fidelity Assurance Company "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

American Fidelity Assurance Company Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Sep 14, 2019

4.2
American Fidelity Assurance Company Chairman, President and CEO Bill Cameron (no image)
Bill Cameron
Pros
  • "Good benefits, pension, bonuses(in 12 reviews)

• "Flexible, Great Benefits, amazing training tools, corporate support(in 12 reviews)

Cons

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at American Fidelity Assurance Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great work environment, Great work life balance and plenty of challenging projects to work on.

Cons

Compensation and benefits.

American Fidelity Assurance Company2019-02-16

"Fair"

Former Employee - Field Sales

I worked at American Fidelity Assurance Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Competitive pay and benefits. No doubt, AF has done a fabulous job attracting good people and keeping them with the pay/benefits. Superior colleagues to work with because of stringent hiring process.

Cons

Culture. Unfortunately, AF has lost its way in putting profits ahead of clients/colleagues. Often times, scheduling is a disaster as things are determined last minute in the field. Which means work/life balance is difficult. Important to this role as the job itself is taxing and involves travel. That plus unnecessary increases in annual quota ensuring a cut in pay to benefit the company's bottom line.

Advice to Management

Allow more freedom and flexibility in the hands of the colleague. Place value on building and retaining relationships not profits only.

American Fidelity Assurance Company2019-09-14
  3. "Representative"

Current Employee - Representative in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at American Fidelity Assurance Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place to work Lots f opportunity

Cons

Lots of work Overtime Not good work life balance

American Fidelity Assurance Company2019-09-13

"Great company but still needs work"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Oklahoma City, OK

Pros

Great Pay Employees are valued and appreciated Good work/life balance Work from home options If you’ve never worked in the supplemental life field, you’ll learn a lot of very valuable life information you may not have known. From department to department no one is better than anyone else, the CEO can be seen in the cafe on a regular basis eating lunch and upper management is approachable. Great community... work Great internships for teachers and students Gym New opportunities and incentives every day Amazing cafe I think the company understand the job we do can be very mentally and emotionally draining and we get a lot of opportunities to have breaks for fun.

Cons

In an environment that changes so much it would be nice for more preparation. We get so many junk emails on a daily basis it’s hard to keep up with what’s important. Management isn’t on the same board. Different rules from one to the next. Some departments are extremely unorganized which makes for a poor customer experience. Poor communication between departments which makes it confusing for the customer. Too... many different departments. If a customer has a Cancer policy, Texas Life, Flex account and Annuity and they want to make a payment and need help submitting a claim that could be potentially 5 different people they end up talking to. After 6 months of being a permanent representative I feel like each person should be crossed trained on an additional product and that should continue every 6 months with a refresher course offered as well. Very selective in hiring process. I’ve referred 10, 8 of which have had interviews and have not been hired. All of which have very similar backgrounds to me and I was hired. The application process is difficult as well if you don’t know someone who works for the company. The quality scoring process is very uptight for a company that’s so fun and laid back.

Advice to Management

I feel like each manager should have the flexibility to set their own rules but regarding things like working from home, attendance, time off the phones those things should be consistent. Some people are approved to work 1 day from home while others work 4, they’ll have very similar scores but their managers have different rules or ways to score quality and it’s not consistent. Take ownership of escalated calls. I... think managers don’t talk to customers as often as we do so they’re hesitant to take escalated calls because they aren’t sure how to handle them. A group of senior representatives should take the escalation calls instead of management. A group of 5 people, an escalation team, who is cross trained in 3 or 4 areas handles the escalation calls and that’s essentially all they do.

American Fidelity Assurance Company2019-03-31
  5. "VP Venture Capital"

Current Employee - Venture Capital in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at American Fidelity Assurance Company full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Work - Life Balance; dress for your day.

Cons

Insufficient supply of outside talent.

American Fidelity Assurance Company2017-07-30

"Working at APL"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Brandon, MS

Pros

Good company to work for. Family and work life balance is important. Been here 30+ years. Good benefits, pension, bonuses

Cons

There are no cons. Good parking, location. On the middle of restaurants, movie theatre down road. Able to take walks and everything close by

American Fidelity Assurance Company2017-06-17

"Poorly managed"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Oklahoma City, OK

Pros

A great place to work, if you aren't in the call center.

Cons

Understaffed, high turn over, and micromanagement. For a company that wants us to have work/life balance it is hard to make time when we are always forced to do mandatory overtime when things get busy.which is always. When a depsrtment can't pull any staff to work emails and force 5-7 hours of overtime a week there is no time for anything else.

American Fidelity Assurance Company2017-01-12

"Great family culture, benefits, perks, mixed leadership quality/consistency, terribly political charged environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

Pros

Compensation, Benefits, perks, pension, immeasurable family culture, surprisingly pro work/life balance, new work environment, top food service with subsidized food costs for healthy choices, on-site amenities, location, cross-divisional participation - Lean, Six Sigma, etc., emphasis on continuous improvement, personal improvement focus

Cons

High stress, low recognition, inconsistent management practices, old school management thinking, undervalued departments, politics are atrocious across the organization, security division is poison, prefers blocking roads versus protected escort, management prefers big ideas and vision over practicality and realistic productivity (for example - open, collaborative workspace/floor for a division spent mostly on... focus work daily)

Advice to Management

Listen to colleagues, don't provide the answers for them and let them provide and implement solutions, value operational roles, invest in colleague training, get back to "promote within" values, compensate and title positions accurately, and lastly, just thank the colleagues for the good work they do everyday. As Dave Carpenter says, "we are too hard on ourselves" (and on subordinates) "we need to look at all the... great things we're doing"

American Fidelity Assurance Company2016-10-25
  9. "Great company!"

Current Employee - Internal Auditor in Oklahoma City, OK

Pros

Great work life balance. Wonderful health incentives. Pay for tuition to further education. Rarely any overtime.

Cons

Pay is slightly below market rate for all positions. Too much emphasis placed on bonus which is taxed at a much higher rate than regular salary income.

Advice to Management

Put less emphasis on the bonus and more emphasis on increasing the base pay of all non-commissioned employees.

American Fidelity Assurance Company2016-10-25
  10. "Specialist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at American Fidelity Assurance Company full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The company really does care about its Colleagues and believes in keeping talent by promoting from within as much as possible. There is a good work/life balance and many benefits and perks

Cons

Because of the many perks and benefits, there has become a sense of entitlement in many Colleagues.

American Fidelity Assurance Company2015-12-29