American Financial Resources Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Richard Dubnoff

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The ability to work from home for some positions is a huge advantage and helps keep the balance in place (in 7 reviews)

• I personally feel that this is a great company to work for (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • They were and are a disgrace to the mortgage industry (in 4 reviews)

• constant commissions changes, channelization of origination, long turn times, loan partners, immediate managers/team leads (in 4 reviews)

1. "It's all about bringing families home"

Current Employee - Operations in Parsippany, NJ
    Current Employee - Operations in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at American Financial Resources full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is the first mortgage company I have ever worked for that focused on bringing families home instead of numbers. I feel that we are a team on a mission not just an individual pushing paper.

Cons

I would recommend some additional communication from management to keep the staff in the "know"

Advice to Management

I would recommend some additional team building activities outside of work to allow us to gather outside of work and grow our relationships.

Apr 2, 2018 – CAO

Thank you for your feedback. We strive to make our families our priority and appreciate your continued efforts to help us do that. We are constantly refining and enhancing our processes, training... More

2. "post closing intern"

I worked at American Financial Resources full-time

Pros

great atmphosphere in the office space

Cons

slow pace work in the office

Apr 2, 2018 – CAO

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your time and I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed the atmosphere in the department. We wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

Sincerely... More

3. "AFR is a family orientated company"

I have been working at American Financial Resources full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been working at American Financial Resources full-time for several years and enjoy how the owners of the company do a lot of work and they understand rolling up their sleeves and jumping in.

AFR is a family orientated company and understand the value of leveraging technology, training and balance of work life. The ability to work from home for some positions is a huge advantage and helps keep the balance in place. The management is always listening to us and good ideas are always considered. You are part of a team and it shows. The people make a difference every day, helping families and taking care of family is what it’s about and AFR gets an A+!

Cons

Not really too many cons for AFR, the mortgage industry is a fast paced, always changing environment with peaks and valleys. We all know the roller coaster ride the mortgage industry can be. This can be stressful from time to time and when you blink it changes again.

Advice to Management

Continue to support your team and invest in them, they will continue the journey and the vision that came together 20+ years ago.

Jan 29, 2018 – CAO

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate your thorough review and truly feel the same. While the industry is fast paced and can be stressful, we do make every effort to prioritize our team members... More

4. "Great company to work for."

Current Employee - Manager in Parsippany, NJ
    Current Employee - Manager in Parsippany, NJ

Pros

I have worked for AFR for 7 years and can honestly say if you are looking for a great company to work for this is the one. I have worked for a few mortgage companies over the last 30 years and AFR cares about you and your future with them. You are truly not a number at this company.

Cons

No Cons best place to work.

Jan 29, 2018 – CAO

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate that you have taken the time to share your experience with us. We also appreciate your contributions and look forward to our continued success with our... More

5. "Mortgage"

Current Employee - Mortgage in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Mortgage in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at American Financial Resources full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of promises and dreams. Promises promises broken dreams. Nothing positive to share. Sad. Apparently you insist on 20 positive words

Cons

Uses 2 different names to recruit because of reviews. Pipe dreams offered. No future to their vision. Poor work atmosphere. Bully Mgr in one Dept. Watch what you say there are “ Moles” looking to advance. The worse Company I’ve worked for. I’m looking as are others to get out. Poor pay for Industry.

Advice to Management

Treat people fairly. Look at the source of your problem and get both sides. Pay Bette to keep your employee. Listen to us

Mar 5, 2018 – CAO

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I would like the opportunity to discuss the concerns that you mention with you. AFR does support an open-door environment and encourages all team members to... More

6. "AFR"

Pros

The environment is great to work in. Goth within the company is an option.

Cons

More team building should occur.

Advice to Management

Training really helps production.

Jan 24, 2018 – CAO

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate the insight regarding more team building and will take that into consideration. I would love to discuss any other suggestions or ideas with you, and my... More

7. "AFR/eLend"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at American Financial Resources full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great overall company. Training and cross training is always available.. Very positive and family orientated company. Great to work for a company that has meeting with all departments and management actually listens. Also I love that we are A trend setting company.

Cons

Bonus and reviews could be more often.

Jan 24, 2018 – CAO

Thank you for your feedback. We value our team members insight, and strive to ensure that we continue to support an open-door environment. We also recognize that training is an integral part of... More

8. "Family"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Parsippany, NJ

Pros

AFR is a family orientated company. They work with your situation and give the ability to work from home. They are an industry leader in technology and keep striving to improve. There are opportunities to advance or move within the company. The management team has an open door policy and allows for direct communication throughout. Good ideas are always considered.

Cons

As any mortgage company, business is cyclical, dependent on rates. That being said they have gone through reductions in work force. That is to be expected in this environment.

Jan 16, 2018 – CAO

Thank you for your feedback. We take pride in our team members and it is with their collaboration and hard work that we are an industry leader. We appreciate the time you have taken to share your... More

"Former employee"

I worked at American Financial Resources full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to work from home. Paid vacation. Flexible schedule. Friendly co workers. No Other pros to mention at this time.

Cons

Multiple layoffs in one year. Partners stated there would be no more and then proceed to lay off again and again. No accountability for poor loan turnover. Loan officers take no accountability for bad applications and rely on operations to fix it all. If numbers are not achieved then operations will be blamed. Where was the “family” environment? Only recognized sales and not the supporting staff.

Advice to Management

Look deeper into the issues. Train your loan officers. Have them take accountability for loans not closing. Layoff poor producers instead of your support teams.

"Processor"

I worked at American Financial Resources full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, ability to work from home

Cons

5 layoffs in the last 12 months, poor management at best. Salaries not competitive.

Advice to Management

Take a closer look at your sales force to see where the problems started. Sales should have been held to a higher standard. You come into the office swearing there would be mo more layoffs and for people to "hang in there" because they are needed, then a week later you layoff the people that you said were needed. Stop telling people lies.

Dec 12, 2017 – CAO

Thank you for your feedback. AFR continues to offer flexible schedules and remote work options for most of our team members. Our industry is in a constant state of change, refining processes... More