American Financial Resources Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Richard Dubnoff

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The ability to work from home for some positions is a huge advantage and helps keep the balance in place (in 7 reviews)

• AFR is a family orientated company (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • They were and are a disgrace to the mortgage industry (in 4 reviews)

• constant commissions changes, channelization of origination, long turn times, loan partners, immediate managers/team leads (in 4 reviews)

1. "AFR is a family orientated company"

I have been working at American Financial Resources full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been working at American Financial Resources full-time for several years and enjoy how the owners of the company do a lot of work and they understand rolling up their sleeves and jumping in.

AFR is a family orientated company and understand the value of leveraging technology, training and balance of work life. The ability to work from home for some positions is a huge advantage and helps keep the balance in place. The management is always listening to us and good ideas are always considered. You are part of a team and it shows. The people make a difference every day, helping families and taking care of family is what it’s about and AFR gets an A+!

Cons

Not really too many cons for AFR, the mortgage industry is a fast paced, always changing environment with peaks and valleys. We all know the roller coaster ride the mortgage industry can be. This can be stressful from time to time and when you blink it changes again.

Advice to Management

Continue to support your team and invest in them, they will continue the journey and the vision that came together 20+ years ago.

Jan 29, 2018 – CAO

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate your thorough review and truly feel the same. While the industry is fast paced and can be stressful, we do make every effort to prioritize our team members... More

2. "Great company to work for."

Current Employee - Manager in Parsippany, NJ
    Current Employee - Manager in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at American Financial Resources full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked for AFR for 7 years and can honestly say if you are looking for a great company to work for this is the one. I have worked for a few mortgage companies over the last 30 years and AFR cares about you and your future with them. You are truly not a number at this company.

Cons

No Cons best place to work.

Jan 29, 2018 – CAO

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate that you have taken the time to share your experience with us. We also appreciate your contributions and look forward to our continued success with our... More

3. "AFR"

Pros

The environment is great to work in. Goth within the company is an option.

Cons

More team building should occur.

Advice to Management

Training really helps production.

Jan 24, 2018 – CAO

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate the insight regarding more team building and will take that into consideration. I would love to discuss any other suggestions or ideas with you, and my... More

4. "AFR/eLend"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at American Financial Resources full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great overall company. Training and cross training is always available.. Very positive and family orientated company. Great to work for a company that has meeting with all departments and management actually listens. Also I love that we are A trend setting company.

Cons

Bonus and reviews could be more often.

Jan 24, 2018 – CAO

Thank you for your feedback. We value our team members insight, and strive to ensure that we continue to support an open-door environment. We also recognize that training is an integral part of... More

5. "The Best Team"

Current Employee - Corporate
    Current Employee - Corporate

Pros

AFR is definitely a great place to work. The environment is team inspired, collaborative and energized. Creativity is welcomed, doors are always open for feedback, even up through the partner level. Team members are amazing and they really give you an opportunity to shine.

Cons

Health insurance is slightly expensive, but my research shows that it is the same with most places.

Advice to Management

Keep supporting your team members and allowing them to do what they do best. In turn, they will carry and drive the company's continued and future success.

Jan 24, 2018 – CAO

Thank you for your feedback, positive words and confirmation that AFR is a great place to work. We do make every effort to support our team members through numerous ways, including training... More

6. "Great company!"

Pros

Great family company that truly does prioritize it's team members as well as their clients. AFR is more family than corporate, and it goes a long way. Open door policy directly to management, even at the partner level. Collaborative environment where everyone is encouraged to be a part of the team.

Cons

Not really any cons, insurance slightly expensive as with most places.

Advice to Management

Continue to support and stand behind your team members and we will continue to get AFR to where we want it to be.

Jan 24, 2018 – CAO

Thank you for your feedback. AFR is a family company, where our customers and team members are family. Thank you for your review and we look forward to continuing our success with you... More

7. "Family"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Parsippany, NJ

Pros

AFR is a family orientated company. They work with your situation and give the ability to work from home. They are an industry leader in technology and keep striving to improve. There are opportunities to advance or move within the company. The management team has an open door policy and allows for direct communication throughout. Good ideas are always considered.

Cons

As any mortgage company, business is cyclical, dependent on rates. That being said they have gone through reductions in work force. That is to be expected in this environment.

Jan 16, 2018 – CAO

Thank you for your feedback. We take pride in our team members and it is with their collaboration and hard work that we are an industry leader. We appreciate the time you have taken to share your... More

"Former employee"

I worked at American Financial Resources full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to work from home. Paid vacation. Flexible schedule. Friendly co workers. No Other pros to mention at this time.

Cons

Multiple layoffs in one year. Partners stated there would be no more and then proceed to lay off again and again. No accountability for poor loan turnover. Loan officers take no accountability for bad applications and rely on operations to fix it all. If numbers are not achieved then operations will be blamed. Where was the “family” environment? Only recognized sales and not the supporting staff.

Advice to Management

Look deeper into the issues. Train your loan officers. Have them take accountability for loans not closing. Layoff poor producers instead of your support teams.

"Processor"

I worked at American Financial Resources full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, ability to work from home

Cons

5 layoffs in the last 12 months, poor management at best. Salaries not competitive.

Advice to Management

Take a closer look at your sales force to see where the problems started. Sales should have been held to a higher standard. You come into the office swearing there would be mo more layoffs and for people to "hang in there" because they are needed, then a week later you layoff the people that you said were needed. Stop telling people lies.

Dec 12, 2017 – CAO

Thank you for your feedback. AFR continues to offer flexible schedules and remote work options for most of our team members. Our industry is in a constant state of change, refining processes... More

"Loan Processor"

Former Employee - Loan Processor in Parsippany, NJ
    Former Employee - Loan Processor in Parsippany, NJ

I worked at American Financial Resources full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Loved my team! We were like a little family, we held each other accountable to be excellent at our jobs.

Cons

Once new management came in it felt like a slave shop. They did not invest in their employees and laid off hard working loyal employees.

Advice to Management

Value your employees and pay them what they are worth. It cost more money to lose good employees than to keep them.