American Foundation for Suicide Prevention Reviews | Glassdoor

American Foundation for Suicide Prevention Reviews

Found 14 reviews

2.7
Robert Gebbia
  1. "A beautiful place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at American Foundation for Suicide Prevention full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

AFSP has an incredibly supportive work environment and supports a team structure. Management is very structured and clear. AFSP has been a pivotal part in my journey with my own mental health and the staff here has been supportive of my journey. I have grown a great deal within my two plus years working here and would recommend working here to anyone interested.

Cons

Some poor communication between departments

American Foundation for Suicide Prevention2018-11-30
  2. "Poor Management and Wasteful Spending"

I worked at American Foundation for Suicide Prevention part-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Volunteers are wonderful! Helping those who have lost a loved one is rewarding.

Cons

Poor management. Wasteful spending with huge parties with open bars that utilizes funds raised by volunteers. Use money for more programs and services.

Advice to Management

They won’t listen to advice because they don’t want to enact change.

American Foundation for Suicide Prevention2019-03-18

"AFSP Takes Advantage of Suicide Survivors"

I worked at American Foundation for Suicide Prevention full-time

Pros

They spend a lot of money on parties (which is not good) but some would consider it a pro

Cons

They take advantage of vulnerable survivors of suicide and force them to raise thousands of dollars or give them the boot. It is a ruthless environment. Suicide has skyrocketed under AFSP's watch so you know their outcomes are horrible.

American Foundation for Suicide Prevention2018-08-26
  4. "Good, Not Great"

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in New York, NY

Pros

Wonderful cause, passionate staff, reasonable working hours (almost everyone leaves by 5:30 each day)

Cons

Certain departments value organizational impact over the well-being of it's employees

American Foundation for Suicide Prevention2018-04-03
  5. "Rewarding work"

I have been working at American Foundation for Suicide Prevention full-time

Pros

Mission-driven, passionate volunteers and employees. You really feel like you are making a difference in the work that you do. Supervisors are flexible and understanding when "life" happens. Mostly transparent when it comes to salaries, pay scales, and how to advance your career within the organization.

Cons

No internal HR staff/department is a significant downside - navigating benefits, disagreements with colleagues, etc. you are left pretty much all on your own. And as with other nonprofits, you are expected to do more with less, which is always a challenge and can lead to feelings of burnout during the really busy times.

Advice to Management

Invest in an internal HR team. More professional handling of benefits, hiring, and workplace communication when disagreements do arise will go a long way.

American Foundation for Suicide Prevention2017-11-17

"Think Hard Before Working Here"

Current Employee - Field Staff

I have been working at American Foundation for Suicide Prevention for more than 6 years

Pros

pay is decent, volunteers are passionate, good cause, good time off and health benefits (very affordable) and 10% salary pension after 2 years vested immediately

Cons

Everything else! They will burn you out without a second though; culture of fear throughout; unrealistic goals without ANY modern tools to help you do the job. Nights and weekends ALL the time, more than every other org I have worked for put together. There is NO work/life balance. AT ALL. No boundaries with volunteers or staff (calls, texts emails all weekend and at all hours of the day and night) Higher...

Advice to Management

Listen to staff and volunteers when they say changes are needed. Invest in more modern technology to help us reach our goals. Hire more staff (support staff especially), we can't do absolutely everything even though that is expected.

American Foundation for Suicide Prevention2017-08-31

"Joke"

I worked at American Foundation for Suicide Prevention full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Unfortunately the only pro is the cause/mission. Unfortunately the organization itself doesn't do those passionate about the cause justice

Cons

Zero work life balance Cliquey staffing Staff that wouldn't last at well functioning non profits Completely asanine goal setting Feel completely comfortable spending however much money they feel like. For example was forced to spend 50k advertising a small walk program despite my argument about attempting to get in kind or use another avenue

Advice to Management

Investment in systems and take a hard look at your employees and how you make them set goals

American Foundation for Suicide Prevention2017-08-29

"Growing Pains"

Pros

Great cause with dedicated and knowledgable staff & volunteers.

Cons

The organization is growing but it is not adapting quickly enough. New systems needed to make work more efficient.

American Foundation for Suicide Prevention2017-06-28

"AFSP Takes Advantage of Volunteers' Grief, Money and Time"

Former Employee - Volunteer Board Member

I worked at American Foundation for Suicide Prevention part-time for more than 4 years

Pros

The AFSP brings awareness to a good cause, but then again, so do several other suicide-prevention groups, which are probably better-worth your time.

Cons

I started as a volunteer with my local AFSP chapter, but quickly was asked to be a chapter board member, which initially seemed like an honor because suicide prevention is an issue I care about. However, the AFSP comes after you hard. First, you have a $1,000 per year commitment. Their business model is to rely on volunteers instead of hiring the number of paid staffers they really need. I was working for free sometimes...

Advice to Management

It would be nice if some of the funds raised went to the national suicide prevention lifeline or to support groups for suicide survivors instead of AFSP merchandising and AFSP's big, expensive conferences.

American Foundation for Suicide Prevention2017-03-15

"Get Me Out"

I have been working at American Foundation for Suicide Prevention

Pros

Have worked with some wonderful and dedicated volunteers

Cons

Having been with other non-profits orgs, shocked at how unprofessional, inexperienced many are; but they don't realize it and are wildly arrogant. Zero work life balance, zero personal boundaries, no one paying attention to expenses, more is more instead of quality over quantity mentality

American Foundation for Suicide Prevention2016-04-27