American Greetings Reviews | Glassdoor

American Greetings CEO and Director Zev Weiss
Zev Weiss

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The starting pay for a part-time merchandiser isn't all that great (in 19 reviews)

• Since it is a part time job you receive no benefits (in 16 reviews)

1. "Great for a part time postion"

I have been working at American Greetings part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Make your own reasonable schedule. Must be a self starter, and be outgoing.

Cons

Not a lot of room for advancement. The written instructions can be difficult to understand.

2. "Field Sales Operations"

Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager

I have been working at American Greetings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working in Field Sales allows you to have a different experience every day: your nearest boss will most likely live in a different city or state, so you will have to have strong time management to perform well in this role. The company car, flexible work days, and ability to work outside a cubicle are the main perks of this position.

Cons

Working in retail can be tricky - your workload increases around the holidays, and you'll have to deal with store managers in major chains that don't like talking with vendors. It can be tricky to run a territory with part time employees - there's less loyalty, so you'll often have merchandisers quit during busy periods.

Advice to Management

While communication has recently improved between Corporate and Field Sales, there is still a big opportunity to connect these two entities. Currently, there are many different platforms a sales manager must consult to be aware of important notifications and changes, but there's not a common area to receive and transmit all of this information.

"Merchandiser"

Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Moab, UT
    Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Moab, UT

I have been working at American Greetings part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibile hours, lots of support via phone, efficient equipment to do the job ; tablt, scanner, supplies, instructions.

Cons

Low pay and little guidance on how to get a raise.

Advice to Management

Offer incentives and/or clearer guidelines for merchandisers to obtain wage increases.

4. "Poor outlook"

Former Employee - Merchant Analyst in Westlake, OH
    Former Employee - Merchant Analyst in Westlake, OH

I worked at American Greetings full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great product that makes you feel like you're doing something positive. Awesome new building with state of the art amenities like Starbucks, a full-service cafeteria, post office, etc. Great benefits like a fully vested 401k as soon as you start, with a 6% match. Tuition reimbursement and relocation as well. Work life balance and flexibility are high. Casual environment and dress code.

Cons

There is a major lack of formalized training, in combination with overcomplicated processes that require heavy training, leading to frequent issues that are a pain to deal with. There is no incentive to do your job well or go above and beyond. You may get raises or even small bonuses if your performance is exemplary, but low performers also receive raises and the disparity between rewards is minimal. If you do your job well, you get rewarded with more work. Sometimes, high performers are expected to do the work of their managers, without the promotion or the raise. Your career development comes secondary to what benefits your director. Morale is incredibly low with these types of internal issues combined with a rapidly declining industry and losing retailer partnerships frequently. Associates are challenged to see positive numbers but aren't given enough resources to even make a dent in the double digit declines we consistently see year over year.

Advice to Management

If you want to improve as a business, empower your employees and show them that they are valued and incentivized to do so. Employee turnover is high.

5. "Office Manager, Organist/ Choirmaster"

Current Employee - Part Time Merchandiser in Lordstown, OH
    Current Employee - Part Time Merchandiser in Lordstown, OH

I have been working at American Greetings part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, working with diverse people, graphic desktop design, scheduling calendar, solving problems with people seeking help, running everyday office work

Cons

More work than time allotted, not enough people to cover the everyday demand of running an efficient office, hours not flexible for amount of work and timing of office

6. "Goof for extra income"

Current Employee - Merchandiser
    Current Employee - Merchandiser

I have been working at American Greetings part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule work at your pace

Cons

Low pay unrealistic expectations if the employees..backstabbing co workers who will mess up your stores

Advice to Management

Try being a merchandiser and see if it is realistic

7. "Part time merchandiser"

Current Employee - Part Time Merchandiser in Hickory, NC
    Current Employee - Part Time Merchandiser in Hickory, NC

I have been working at American Greetings part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, independent work, fun helping customers

Cons

low pay for hard work

Advice to Management

pay more

8. "Good part time job"

I have been working at American Greetings part-time

Pros

Very flexible schedule. Can work any time of the day

Cons

Since it is a part time job you receive no benefits

9. "I.S. Representative"

Current Employee - I S Representative in Osceola, AR
    Current Employee - I S Representative in Osceola, AR

I have been working at American Greetings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Relaxed environment. Ability to work from home. Good work/life balance. Freedom to work with new technologies

Cons

The commute; most employees live in Jonesboro or Memphis which are 1 hour away. Supporting a lot of legacy applications (some written in Microsoft Access!). Unhappy coworkers really dampens the mood.

Advice to Management

Be proactive in trying to gauge employee morale. Have an open discussion that includes all employees, and work towards fixing the issues they may have.

"Territory Sales Manager"

Current Employee - TSM
    Current Employee - TSM

I have been working at American Greetings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work / Life Balance. It's all about your team, if you develop a good one your work life is simple as can be with under 40 hours a week consistently.

Private company, if you've ever worked for a public company that penny pinches at every corner because it needs to report to shareholders you know how wonderful a private company can be.

My DM is amazing. He's been around forever, knows his stuff and treats us with nothing but respect. My best boss I've ever had.

Company car w/ insurance and gas, phone and computer.

Cons

No real room for advancement unless you are willing to move to Cleveland

Your employees work whenever they want which means they text an email at all different times too.

The pay isn't amazing, it was definitely a pay cut to come here but for how much we do it's fair.

Advice to Management

Keep us in the loop a little more. With a company so private it's important we know whats going on in the card world.