American Greetings Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
American Greetings CEO and Director Zev Weiss
Zev Weiss

Pros
Cons
  • no longer accepting full time merchandisers (only part time) (in 16 reviews)

• Upper management not accessible or helpful when needed (in 13 reviews)

1. "Greetings cards..."

Current Employee - Analyst in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Analyst in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at American Greetings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

laid back culture, can wear jeans everyday, not heavy workload

Cons

talk of "the family" aka the Weiss' that are head of the company-yet you never see them.

Advice to Management

better training

"Merchandiser"

Current Employee - PT Merchandiser in Midwest, WY
    Current Employee - PT Merchandiser in Midwest, WY

I have been working at American Greetings part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours at times

Cons

They work you to death at the holidays
    No room for advancement
    You have to work every weekend if you service a Walmart.
    You can barely take a vacation. You have to find someone to take your place.
    The stores can be very hard to work with about placing product outside of the card department.
    They overwhelm you with merchandise at the holidays and expect you to do the work of two people with no help or support.

Advice to Management

Support the merchandisers that work so hard for you.
    Promote from within.

"Merchandiser"

Current Employee - Merchandiser in Oakdale, NY
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in Oakdale, NY

I have been working at American Greetings (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours. Ability to work independently.

Cons

Low pay, little involvement with co-workers.

Advice to Management

Give merchandisers more feedback or ability to grow in their work.

5. "PT Merchandiser"

Current Employee - PT Merchandiser in Reading, PA
    Current Employee - PT Merchandiser in Reading, PA

I have been working at American Greetings (More than 5 years)

Pros

Somewhat flexible hours. Some stores have music playing on their speakers as you work and I like that.

Cons

Not enough hours. They expect alot for not many hours, etc.

Advice to Management

Maybe later.

"no future"

Current Employee - PT Merchandiser in Rensselaer, NY
    Current Employee - PT Merchandiser in Rensselaer, NY

Pros

Somewhat flexible schedule, fairly easy work besides climbing ladders and trying to get your boxes down from the stock room of whatever stores you are assigned to.

Cons

Pay, have to work the day after and before major holidays, including Christmas eve. Little help from management. No room for advancement. Yearly raise 25 cents. Hardly any hours.

Advice to Management

Increase pay, if you are getting 3-4 per week each store the gas money to get there and back makes it not even worth it.

7. "Only the strong will survive!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

Pros

-Flexible hrs., it's a paycheck! Work on your own time. Limited supervision, Great for self starters.

Cons

-lots of work, little pay, working before and after major holidays. A few hrs scheduled per week. This is more of a part, part time job. No advancement!

Advice to Management

Managers need to get out more. Work in the field a few times a month to have a thorough understanding of the struggles in the field.

"No communication and bad attitudes"

Current Employee - Part Time Merchandiser in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Part Time Merchandiser in Orlando, FL

Pros

Chance to work independently. Its nice. to see all the cards,especially the funny ones.

Cons

They dont monitor their trainers. Mine has a bad attitude,and brings her problems to work. There also is no talk about what is really expected of you. They do not give you a chance to do things yourself at first. Everyone learns different. Store management,especially at Targets,have superiority complex,and even the regular service desk employees ( who have their target job as a first job) are rude and disrespectful. The hours are bad if your in training because you have to work around the hours that the trainer wants you to work. Not enough hours. The trainer i had told me that they didnt know what tthey would do with me( if they were going to keep me)...but she let it slip out that they " needed me"for seasonal.

Advice to Management

Monitor the people you have in charge. Communicate to your potential/ current employees on their progress so they can keep their jobs and improve. If you say you can answer questions , then be availible for that. Also, do not get upset, or make someone feel dumb for asking a question, especially if they are new.

"This is one of the most unorganized and wasteful companies around."

Current Employee - Part Time Merchandiser in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Part Time Merchandiser in Dallas, TX

I have been working at American Greetings part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Weekly paychecks. Can select the days to work.

Cons

Horrible management team. They tell you one way to do the work and then later retract those instructions and add new ones that rarely make any sense. After working a year I still do not know what I am paid per hour. I was told one thing but have not been able to compute the hours at the salary I was quoted. They enforce direct deposit and we do not get a stub to see what we are being paid. All store revisions are very unorganized. We throw away perfectly good products on a regular basis because they don't want to store the seasonal products instead of donation to a needy organization.

Advice to Management

Employees rarely hear any words of encouragement or any type of praise. We are always told what we do wrong but not ever praised for what we do right. Very low morale due to no positive feedback.

"Pay is too low for expectation level"

Current Employee - Part Time Merchandiser in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Part Time Merchandiser in Madison, WI

I have been working at American Greetings part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some flexibility within the the day, but days are dictated by holidays and orders. I had a great Area Supervisor

Cons

All of your holidays and the week preceding and week following are hard set deadlines. Resets make for long days. Large accounts require a lot of activities and a lot of wrangling with uncooperative big box store management, planograms for reset often need modification at the last minute making for longer resets. Still using old technology. Call Center has been outsourced. All PTM s are kept below 30 hours per week. Some have less than five hours per week.

Advice to Management

Your 7.50 start pay for PTMs with no benefits is not worth the effort it takes to maintain multiple and large accounts. The hours are not flexible enough to pair it with another job. Pay raises are meager. If you want to attract hard working, competent and self directed people you need to pay at least as well as fast food and big box store wages whose employees have way less responsibility.

"Not long term employee friendly."

Current Employee - Merchandisers in Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - Merchandisers in Worcester, MA

I have been working at American Greetings part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great flexibility for mom with younger kids.

Cons

After 20yrs service, pretty much run out of company. Within 2mos, both accounts taken away, leaving me as extra for resets. Set up when I returned from a vacation. Does not like people who know what doesn't work and has been tried. Supervisors set themselves up to look good at the expense of accounts, manipulate the numbers.

Advice to Management

Your focus should be on what works best for the account,not the percentage of orders to calls.