American Greetings Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
American Greetings CEO and Director Zev Weiss
Zev Weiss

Pros
Cons
  • no longer accepting full time merchandisers (only part time) (in 16 reviews)

• Upper management not accessible or helpful when needed (in 13 reviews)

"TOUGH jOB"

Former Employee - Ex-merchandiser in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Ex-merchandiser in Boston, MA

I worked at American Greetings full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You can kind of pick your own hours.

Cons

You have to work days before holiday and days after holiday. This puts a damper on your holidays, with no holiday pay or overtime, ever. You never know hours you will work until week of. You will never work over 30 hours, and 10 hours is more the average. It's very physical, especially around holidays. You are rewarded for you hard work, and it is many times very hard, with hand sanitizer, a date book, coupons to by company branded shirts. You are basically alone and never appreciated. Some of your stores will not be happy you sell their product, and resent the space your product takes up in their stores.

Advice to Management

More money, more respect.

"Part time merchandiser Former employee"

Former Employee - Part Time Merchandiser in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Part Time Merchandiser in Irvine, CA

I worked at American Greetings part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hours flexible. Work alone with no help. Minimum wage. Can not even comprehend who could succeed or want this job.

Cons

Hours allowed to accomplish tasks set deliberately low. Hour overage cause for termination.
    Monotony of opening boxes that come in daily from storeroom. Some can be heavy. Cards must be filed
    Into designated pockets. Mindless work. Filing system senseless. Also constant activities assigned with specific due dates that must be entered into tablet you will be given and take additional hours to complete. Must keep department clean. Most folks will take cards and put them back somewhere in store or in wrong pocket. Constant, constant cleaning up. God help you if you work long enough to have to revise the department for a new holiday. Company deliberately assigns few hours to accomplish what you are given to do. Supervisors monitor quality of work and hours claimed. I understand turnover approaches 50%. Exhausting, stressful, backbreaking work.

Advice to Management

Management will never change hour quota. Great way to deliberately have merchandisers work hard with little regard for safety or health. Koch brothers loaned funds to AG to repurchase stock. AG is now privately held, accountable only to themselves. Koch brothers: need I say more? Google them. AG sold their souls to the devil.

"Disappointing and Frustrating"

Current Employee - Merchandiser in Visalia, CA
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in Visalia, CA

I have been working at American Greetings part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work around your schedule (for the most part), people at the accounts can be fun

Cons

The very low pay is not worth the amount of work expected. The hours given often do not match the workload. Constantly micromanaged by trainer who only cares about herself. She lies so to her manager so that it benefits her and makes me look bad. I am not perfect, but I am a lot better at this job than she says. Her manager often lies about what she has said when she is in the wrong. I shouldn't be stressed about a job that only gives me 1-2 hours a week on average. Stay far away from this company if you live in the Central Valley area.

Advice to Management

Help your PTMs!

5. "The manager is corny!"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at American Greetings (Less than a year)

Pros

It was in a mall with other job oportunities

Cons

the pay sucks! The store music sucked!

Advice to Management

Be more open minded.

"Messy messy mess mess mess"

Former Employee - PTM in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - PTM in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at American Greetings part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working on your own time.

Cons

Never been so disrespected, this company does not care about its employees. Hallmark will pay you more.

Advice to Management

Hire from within instead of finding the most idiotic college grads with zero experience...

"PT Merchandiser"

Former Employee - PT Merchandiser in Longview, TX
    Former Employee - PT Merchandiser in Longview, TX

Pros

The ad for the job and the interview seemed liked it would be a perfect fit because it says, "The position allows autonomy to schedule work hours around commitments and activities you enjoy!"
    It also says an average of 10-15 hours a week. I thought this would be a great job that I could do while my children were at school. Even during the interview, the area supervisor made it sound like it would be a great flexible job and that it was just part time hours.

Cons

Be prepared to sell yourself to the devil for very little pay and unrealistic "part-time" time hours, which, they really want you to work full-time hours (everyday of the week plus weekends and 40 hours during the holidays) but classify you as part-time so they don't have to pay you benefits. They say the summer hours are very low because there are no major holiday's. My trainer even said that as long as you average 28 hours a week in a year than you are still just part-time even though you may work 40 hour work weeks. It sure would have been nice if they would have mentioned this during the interview process, but, NO, they didn't. This was one of the "busier" stores and I am sure not all stores require this kind of commitment. The pay is very low. In the ad it states "The starting pay is $8.00 per hour with potential to be more based on experience or education." You can start at $9 an hour if you have a college education but that is as high as they will start you. You don't really get to interact with customer's and staff because you are too busy restocking the shelves and unloading in the stockroom. This position should be labeled "stocker."
    It was also a very slow process (over a month) from the time you submit your application...Do the automated phone interview...Do the in-person interview...Get offered the job and then finally start some online training followed by in-store training where you went from 0mph to 150mph in less then a couple of days.

Advice to Management

Be more upfront during the interview process. We could have saved each other a lot time by them being truthful of the hours and commitment. If you truly want a educated and experienced person for this position then you should pay more money. Corporate should go be "merchandiser's for a couple of days and see how they like it and if they are willing to work everyday of the week and weekends and holiday's.
    I think it was very false advertising from the ad to the area supervisor's interview.

8. "Do not apply to american greetings they will give you the run around."

Former Employee - PT Merchandiser in Brady, TX
    Former Employee - PT Merchandiser in Brady, TX

I worked at American Greetings part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I can guarantee there are probably no pros to working at american greetings. The only positive I can think of is flexibility with hours.

Cons

They sent me threw the whole hiring process including a phone interview and an in person interview. When I arrived for my in person interview, mind you I had to leave in the middle of my shift at my current job to attend, I was informed that there was not even an open position available in my area. Why did I have to do a phone interview and take time out of my schedule to attend a "interview " if there was no position available in my area. Do not apply here they are very unprofessional!!!

Advice to Management

Get your act together and make sure if you post a job announcement that it is correct and there really is a open position. Don't waste people's time!!!

9. "Area supervisor"

Former Employee - Area Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Area Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at American Greetings full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Having dedicated merchandisers , company car and gas card , great products , built great relationships with management in accounts

Cons

No training , health care benefits promised then had to wait 13 months, hired to let go of merchandisers that worked for the company over 10 years , worked in territories other supervisors neglected , hired to work 40 hrs a week and usually worked over 60 .

Advice to Management

Keep and reward dedicated people

"Merchandiser"

Current Employee - PT Merchandiser in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - PT Merchandiser in Cleveland, OH

Pros

There is some schedule flexability

Cons

I am assigned to Walmart, the cons are:
    Heavy workload, with no support
    Amount of holiday product absolutely floods receiving and causes problems because of space limitations
    BRUTAL seasonal change-overs, again with little or no support
    Unrealistic amount of time (too few days) allotted to complete seasonal change-overs
    Too much holiday product, so much waste
    Calls required every weekend
    Ridiculously low wages
    We are pushed to also act as pseudo sales people
    Physically difficult at times, standing on a ladder, wrestling 30-40 pound boxes down from third tier bins, with no help
    In store training is spotty
    Shipping info on American Greetings website is far from accurate, and makes weekly planning difficult
    I work very hard, my store looks great yet I receive no positive feedback from American Greetings or from Walmart

Advice to Management

Provide more thorough and longer lasting training.
     Increase wages.
    Allow merchandisers more feedback as to what works in their assigned stores.
    There really needs to be more support provided to merchandisers during seasonal change-overs; this should be the area supervisor's duty and not left to the merchandiser to beg for help.

"merchandiser"

Former Employee - PT Merchandiser in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - PT Merchandiser in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

flexible hours and no weekends

Cons

time limits and below minimum wage

Advice to Management

raise wages and allow time for completion