American Greetings Reviews | Glassdoor

American Greetings CEO and Director Zev Weiss
Zev Weiss

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The starting pay for a part-time merchandiser isn't all that great (in 20 reviews)

• Since it is a part time job you receive no benefits (in 16 reviews)

1. "Merchandiser"

I worked at American Greetings part-time

Pros

Somewhat of a flexible schedule. Easy to learn the job quickly. Not overly challenging work. Great if you love organizing.

Cons

I never got officially trained for the position, yet I was expected to know the ins and outs of the job. I worked alongside other merchandisers and learned from them. However, there were differences in what each merchandiser taught, so I didn't know which way was the right way. I never knew when I was supposed to report in to work until very last minute. I also never knew how long each shift would take. This made it very hard to schedule other obligations, because of the uncertainty with this job. Overall, it was very unorganized and random.

A lot of fellow employees at different locations I talked to absolutely loved the job and the flexibility to make their own schedule. I'm sure this is true for many other merchandisers. Unfortunately, I did not have the same experience.

Advice to Management

Have managers train new merchandisers so they know the right way to do things. Be more punctual about assigning when to work. Be more straightforward with how long the employee should expect to spend for each shift.

2. "Flexible PT work"

Former Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Myrtle Beach, SC
    Former Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Myrtle Beach, SC

I worked at American Greetings part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very flexible schedule. If you enjoy fostering relationships with store personnel, being creative, and working hard, this can be a good job.

Cons

The pay is terrible. You work too hard to be paid such a low rate. Support from management is non-existent. No backup or help/support when you need it. You are pretty much on your own.

3. "merchandiser"

I worked at American Greetings part-time

Pros

flexible hours good pay good people

Cons

not enough hours to make a living
    not enough time to complete tasks
    not enough hours a week

"Core Merchandiser"

I have been working at American Greetings part-time

Pros

Excellent Flexibility
    Great local co-workers
    Minimal supervision

Cons

Low Pay
    No benefits
    Unrealistic expectations
    Poor communication from corporate
    Poor planning and roll out of projects

Advice to Management

Reevaluate every aspect of this company from the ground up. There are so many opportunities for improvement. If Senior VP Erwin Weiss were to go back in time to 1906 and tell the founder Polish immigrant Jacob Sapirstein, who began by selling cards from a horse-drawn cart that his company had stayed in the family for all these years, now had over 30,000 employees, reached an annual revenue of 1.8 billion dollars, and that the President/CEO made more than 10 million dollars a year I'm sure Joseph would be proud beyond measure. But how would he feel if you also told him that many employees received substandard pay, no benefits and poor working conditions? How would he feel to learn that the company showed little regard for the environment and had no system for recycling or donating outdated or discontinued product? And while it's true that the American Greetings name is still accurate since the cards are still manufactured in America, but explain to him that so many other aspects of the business are outsourced. That with so much money and technology the company either can't figure a better way to do business or just chooses not to. I believe that Mr. Sapirstein would want better for his employees and America. After all, it is safe to assume he immigrated from Poland to seek a better life for himself and his family. So, Mr. Weiss - all three of you - please remember the spirit in which this company was founded. You can increase your pay scale for hourly workers, improve warehouse worker conditions, add support staff in the field, seek solutions to minimize the company's impact on the environment, improve systems and processes all while remaining profitable and keeping your salaries. But you have to see the value in it and make it a priority. Just ask Jacob, I'm sure he'll agree.

5. "Manager"

Former Intern - Manager
    Former Intern - Manager

I worked at American Greetings as an intern

Pros

Autonomy, flexibility and good people.

Cons

A "creative" company that does little to no marketing towards their target audience or future customer. Romantic about what got the company to where it is.

Advice to Management

Spend the money to get talent onboard that understands where customers are spending their time and attention. Stop being romantic about a YouTube video from 3 years ago. Build your social media presence, keep it relevant and keep the content flowing every single day. If senior leadership wants AG to be revelant in the coming years, they should listen to junior leaders who are close to their future customer. AG is bleeding young talent. Sadly, these are associates who have the relevant vision to help AG succeed.

6. "Account Lead"

I worked at American Greetings part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed working independently and interacting with store personnel.

Cons

The company expects 12 hours work to be completed in 6. No raises to speak of.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees.

7. "Inconsistent"

I have been working at American Greetings part-time

Pros

Most stores allow you to create your own schedule on when you want to work

Cons

Hours are inconsistent, too much driving around for little work to be done, and under appreciated

8. "Deli worker"

I worked at American Greetings part-time

Pros

I got off no later than 8, I put up meat and made a lot of orders. We were always busy. It made our job flow easier.

Cons

Unhappy with my co worjers because they complained a lot. It didn't make me want to leave. I just would have felt better working with positive people.

Advice to Management

Be fair to all employees

"Not worth it"

Current Employee - Merchandiser in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in Oakland, CA

I have been working at American Greetings part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Your by your self
    Come in any time as long as you get the job done.

Cons

Management is very unprofessional they gossip with every other merchandiser about everyone else.

Not very good training

And headquarters need to figure there crap out constantly making mistakes. And you have to call them for pretty much everything.

A lot of merchandisers work off the clock because it's not enough hours and there's no overtime ever.

Advice to Management

Be more organized and focus on the new employee your training rather then show one thing and then talk on the phone the rest of the shift.

Stop gossiping with other merchandisers so unprofessional that management thinks ok to talk among there employees about others. Harrasment??

No advancement what so ever

Technology is so out dated.

Some stores have only one call and it's for an hour and you have to drive 3 cities over. Not worth it!

"Infrastructure Engineer"

Former Employee - Infrastructure Engineer in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Infrastructure Engineer in Cleveland, OH

I worked at American Greetings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

New building and location is ok. Get to wear jeans to work.

Cons

Corporate culture does not find it's way into the infrastructure team. Micromanagement, outdated procedures, too small team for such a large environment, co-workers / team members have been at AG for a LOOOONG time with no outside experience which leads to narrow-sighted focus.