American Greetings Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
American Greetings CEO and Director Zev Weiss
Zev Weiss

Pros
Cons
  • no longer accepting full time merchandisers (only part time) (in 16 reviews)

• Not enough hours to support yourself and there are no benefits (in 13 reviews)

1. "Product Development Intern"

Current Intern - Product Development Intern in Cleveland, OH
    Current Intern - Product Development Intern in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at American Greetings as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The building itself is brand spanking new, filled with art, and gorgeous! Some features include a courtyard, Starbuck's, cafeteria, library, art gallery, and it's located in a huge new shopping center. Aside from the look, the people are great and what they do for the world is really an amazing selfless act. They produce content to help others express themselves and help others feel loved. What other job is this special? This internship is also FLAWLESS. We took a trolly around the city during our first week to experience and see Cleveland. We got matching intern shirts, mugs, and notebooks. One day we even did a team building cooking class. There are many meetings set up for us to see what other departments do so that we can see all of AG. This place rocks.

Cons

My only con might be that this workplace seems 70% female. If you don't like working with women, this job is not for you. I don't mind it but I also wouldn't mind some more diversity.

Advice to Management

Oh, nothing I would complain about. This internship has been heaven so far.

"Merchandiser"

Current Employee - Merchandiser in Moab, UT
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in Moab, UT

I have been working at American Greetings part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team to work with! Training is available online and in person. Territory manager is available and answers questions as needed. You work on your own. I like meeting local store managers and employees and feeling I am a part of the community I serve.
    Performance evaluations are provided , helpful and followed up with supportive improvement. Great swag..love my Tablet Bag!

Cons

Low pay. Not sure what the measured steps are to pay increases?

Advice to Management

Provide more efficient service with computer and tech questions. I have an Apple Tablet and have not been able to take the 201 trainings yet.

3. "Merchandising"

Current Employee - Merchandiser in Fayetteville, NC
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in Fayetteville, NC

I have been working at American Greetings part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great supplemental income job where you can work at your own independent pace on your assignments giving to you. The work environment is friendly you get to meet wonderful people as you assist them as in store customer service while you work.

Cons

It is a good second job but don't quit your day job!

Advice to Management

Increased travel pay would be extremely nice!

4. "Enjoyable, Decent pay and benefits"

Current Employee - Machine Specialist in Osceola, AR
    Current Employee - Machine Specialist in Osceola, AR

I have been working at American Greetings full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very enjoyable, friendly work environment. Keeps you on your toes. Good pay and benefits, with many opportunity to move up, gives you something to strive for

Cons

Could use more training, 3rd shift starting on a Sunday night is a little strange, but you get used to it

5. "Supervisor"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Osceola, AR
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Osceola, AR

I have been working at American Greetings full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The leadership cares about your success. They are helpful and take the time to mentor you rather than get angry when you fail.

Cons

Internal hiring is slow and hard to find. If a new position opens and you are not already aware of it, they will not make you aware.

6. "friendly"

Former Employee - Manager/TRS - Training Revision Specialist in Amarillo, TX
    Former Employee - Manager/TRS - Training Revision Specialist in Amarillo, TX

I worked at American Greetings part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

you work at your own pace and by yourself

Cons

you work by yourself

Advice to Management

trianing needs to be more effective and more one on one

"Part-time merchandiser"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Rosa, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at American Greetings (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours and good hourly pay

Cons

The management system with data is not efficient

Advice to Management

Do not rely on only numbers and data

8. "A company with a heart"

Former Contractor - Senior Creative Consultant in Cleveland, OH
    Former Contractor - Senior Creative Consultant in Cleveland, OH

I worked at American Greetings as a contractor (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very friendly and supportive environment; extremely creative company with 100's of artists, designers, writers and technologists who work together quite harmoniously; very professional associates with a learning orientation; fabulous new headquarters facility; excellent benefits and compensation; very balanced work-life orientation; overall, an organization that always shows its humanity.

Cons

The core product of American Greetings- greeting cards, gift wraps, etc. - is a mature industry that does not seem to have much obvious room for total top line growth, which means the business has continual pressure to manage down costs to maintain profitability from relatively stagnant revenues.

Advice to Management

Long-term revenue growth will likely need to emerge from creating new opportunities in businesses that may be at a remove from the company's core competencies and areas of expertise. The organization is very well staffed and equipped with the talent, open minds, and ambitious associates necessary to invent new business: be willing to take more risks in new product and/or service spaces to insure another century of success.

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Part Time Merchandiser in Wilson, NC
    Current Employee - Part Time Merchandiser in Wilson, NC

I have been working at American Greetings part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They are a wonderful company with lots of communication with their employees and wonderful bosses. I love working for them! You set your own schedule of when you want to work, it's really great, I love that part of it. It's great to be able to work when you want to or are able to!

Cons

They don't offer many hours every week, and some weeks are a lot slower than other, and some weeks you work a ton of hours

Advice to Management

Keep up the fantastic work, I love being an employee!

10. "Merchandiser"

Former Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at American Greetings (More than 10 years)

Pros

I worked for Gibson Greeting cards about 30+ years ago. I still have the habit of straightening cards in stores when I pass by. (I have since worked in a bank for many years and also ten years in the benefits department of a major hospital organization.)

Cons

When I previously worked as a greeting card merchandiser, I had small children which disrupted my time schedule. My girls are well grown at this point.

Advice to Management

Since I have done merchandising before, I just need to learn the companies current protocol.