American Greetings Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
American Greetings CEO and Director Zev Weiss
Zev Weiss

Pros
Cons
  • no longer accepting full time merchandisers (only part time) (in 16 reviews)

• Upper management not accessible or helpful when needed (in 13 reviews)

"Save your time and energy"

I worked at American Greetings part-time

Pros

You can make your own hours

Cons

There are barely any hours to grab. They don't reimburse you for personal expenses for things necessary to complete your job. Low pay, not enough time.

Advice to Management

Reward employees with higher pay.

2. "Technician"

Pros

Long history. Lots of family

Cons

Expect results without training people.

Advice to Management

Train people before expecting results

3. "The manager is corny!"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at American Greetings (Less than a year)

Pros

It was in a mall with other job oportunities

Cons

the pay sucks! The store music sucked!

Advice to Management

Be more open minded.

"Messy messy mess mess mess"

Former Employee - PTM in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - PTM in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at American Greetings part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working on your own time.

Cons

Never been so disrespected, this company does not care about its employees. Hallmark will pay you more.

Advice to Management

Hire from within instead of finding the most idiotic college grads with zero experience...

"This company is just worrying about their profits and not the employees."

Current Employee - Part Time Merchandiser
    Current Employee - Part Time Merchandiser

Pros

Your schedule is somewhat flexible. You need to work the hours assigned but can usually do them anytime during the store hours.

Cons

The pay is horrible. There is not much support or communication. You are never given enough time to do your job.

Advice to Management

Please pay your employees better wages. We are representatives of the company and we are not robots. We need time to locate boxes of merchandise and to talk to the management about putting out displays that they don't want on their floor. We need time to look at our weekly duties on the computer. This is something that we do not get paid for.

"PT Merchandiser"

Former Employee - PT Merchandiser in Longview, TX
    Former Employee - PT Merchandiser in Longview, TX

Pros

The ad for the job and the interview seemed liked it would be a perfect fit because it says, "The position allows autonomy to schedule work hours around commitments and activities you enjoy!"
    It also says an average of 10-15 hours a week. I thought this would be a great job that I could do while my children were at school. Even during the interview, the area supervisor made it sound like it would be a great flexible job and that it was just part time hours.

Cons

Be prepared to sell yourself to the devil for very little pay and unrealistic "part-time" time hours, which, they really want you to work full-time hours (everyday of the week plus weekends and 40 hours during the holidays) but classify you as part-time so they don't have to pay you benefits. They say the summer hours are very low because there are no major holiday's. My trainer even said that as long as you average 28 hours a week in a year than you are still just part-time even though you may work 40 hour work weeks. It sure would have been nice if they would have mentioned this during the interview process, but, NO, they didn't. This was one of the "busier" stores and I am sure not all stores require this kind of commitment. The pay is very low. In the ad it states "The starting pay is $8.00 per hour with potential to be more based on experience or education." You can start at $9 an hour if you have a college education but that is as high as they will start you. You don't really get to interact with customer's and staff because you are too busy restocking the shelves and unloading in the stockroom. This position should be labeled "stocker."
    It was also a very slow process (over a month) from the time you submit your application...Do the automated phone interview...Do the in-person interview...Get offered the job and then finally start some online training followed by in-store training where you went from 0mph to 150mph in less then a couple of days.

Advice to Management

Be more upfront during the interview process. We could have saved each other a lot time by them being truthful of the hours and commitment. If you truly want a educated and experienced person for this position then you should pay more money. Corporate should go be "merchandiser's for a couple of days and see how they like it and if they are willing to work everyday of the week and weekends and holiday's.
    I think it was very false advertising from the ad to the area supervisor's interview.

8. "Very Bad Experience"

Pros

The work schedule was very flexible. The work was mostly simple. Most of my coworkers were very helpful.

Cons

The management was terrible. I did not receive enough hours to make a decent paycheck. There was a lot of miscommunication and disorganization in some stores that made my job a lot harder. The equipment that was assigned to me was not reliable.

Advice to Management

Find some better people to put in managerial positions. Also, support your employees more and provide them with better opportunities as well as a decent paycheck.

"Was Harassed by Supervisor"

Pros

working independently, fun job, ability to be creative

Cons

Order shipment dates would change daily, not sure when you go to work till the day of, unprofessional management, yelled at by management, talked down to by management, unsafe work conditions, unsafe management.

Advice to Management

Do not talk down to your employees. If someone notifies you that they had a personal emergency and need to get off the phone, don't call them and text repeatedly telling them they need to come into work. I was harassed by my supervisor. He also talked down to me for having an emergency and I was not able to show up for my shift. American Greetings corporate does not help you when an issue arises because the supervisor, they let him keep his job after him harassing me and telling me that I had to come to work even though I literally had to go to emergency that day. Do not work for this company, it is very hostile and unsafe work environment with current management.

10. "Do not apply to american greetings they will give you the run around."

Former Employee - PT Merchandiser in Brady, TX
    Former Employee - PT Merchandiser in Brady, TX

I worked at American Greetings part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I can guarantee there are probably no pros to working at american greetings. The only positive I can think of is flexibility with hours.

Cons

They sent me threw the whole hiring process including a phone interview and an in person interview. When I arrived for my in person interview, mind you I had to leave in the middle of my shift at my current job to attend, I was informed that there was not even an open position available in my area. Why did I have to do a phone interview and take time out of my schedule to attend a "interview " if there was no position available in my area. Do not apply here they are very unprofessional!!!

Advice to Management

Get your act together and make sure if you post a job announcement that it is correct and there really is a open position. Don't waste people's time!!!

11. "Area Supervisor in Training"

Former Employee - Area Supervisor In Training
    Former Employee - Area Supervisor In Training

Pros

-I learned about the card industry.
    -You get to drive a lot
    -You get to learn how to manage others

Cons

-During the interview, I was told I'd get half a year of training before being transferred to a new state to take on my own territory. After several weeks, they wanted to transfer me.
    -I was told to eat while driving in order to complete all tasks in a given day
    -Managers made racial comments that made me uncomfortable
    -Managers asked personal questions about why I needed medical insurance and pressured me when I didn't answer their questions

Advice to Management

Hire three people to do this job, not one
    Give employees better work/life balance
    Be more supportive instead of demoralizing