American Greetings Reviews | Glassdoor

American Greetings Reviews

Updated August 15, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Very flexible schedule good for moms with little one or college students (in 46 reviews)

• good work life balance and great new facility (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • no longer accepting full time merchandisers (only part time) (in 17 reviews)

• There are no benefits whatsoever (in 14 reviews)

"Not worth it"

Current Employee - Merchandiser in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in Oakland, CA

I have been working at American Greetings part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Your by your self
    Come in any time as long as you get the job done.

Cons

Management is very unprofessional they gossip with every other merchandiser about everyone else.

Not very good training

And headquarters need to figure there crap out constantly making mistakes. And you have to call them for pretty much everything.

A lot of merchandisers work off the clock because it's not enough hours and there's no overtime ever.

Advice to Management

Be more organized and focus on the new employee your training rather then show one thing and then talk on the phone the rest of the shift.

Stop gossiping with other merchandisers so unprofessional that management thinks ok to talk among there employees about others. Harrasment??

No advancement what so ever

Technology is so out dated.

Some stores have only one call and it's for an hour and you have to drive 3 cities over. Not worth it!

"A good place to work if you have no career goals"

Current Employee - Analyst in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Analyst in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at American Greetings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy hours- you aren't really expected to stay late to work in most departments (note I say MOST, not all), and the new "flex" hours let you work a little bit more around your schedule rather than the normal 8-5

Decent pay- you get paid a decent amount for the area. It varies a lot employee to employee even with similar backgrounds, but you won't be eating ramen every day.

They encourage horizontal movement. You are free to try to move to other departments even without experience after only a few years in your current role.

You are offered healthcare benefits.

The new corporate location is beautiful and in a good spot. Lots of things to do.

Not a competitive environment. This isn't a pro for me, but a lot of people like it, you'll never feel like you're fighting for your role or another position. There aren't really any incentives to doing your work well (besides a cost of living pay increase each year) so you don't even have to compete with yourself to do better if you aren't motivated to do so.

Cons

VERY little vacation time

Low level managers are promoted based on seniority or other factors, not on leadership or ability to learn and they aren't trained or required to even know anything about to department they are managing. So you'll likely run into at least one horrible boss.

A lot of micromanaging and general distrust of employees, hidden under a blanket of polite behavior.

Very few travel opportunities in corporate, even in some roles where it's advertised that travel is frequent. This could be a pro for some people.

Healthcare coverage offered is horrible and covers very little for a very high cost.

The systems are ancient and sometimes impossible to work with.

Almost no opportunity to move vertically. There aren't "senior" level positions like in most companies. You're at your level, or you're in the role of your boss. If your boss stays for a while, you don't move up either.

Advice to Management

Take time to actually learn the roles of the people you're managing. Stop micromanaging. Listen to the goals of the people you're managing. Look up to the higher level managers who were promoted because of their leadership and the genuine care they have of employees. Model yourself after them.

"Doesn't follow their mission statement at all We create happiness, laughter and love Territory sales manager"

Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager

I have been working at American Greetings full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you're a people person, it's great because you're with different managers and merchandiser throughout the day
    Some flexibility in time worked during the day.

Cons

Work life balance is very poor. Keep piling on responsibilities. My DM manages from a position of fear. Doesn't coach positively. Doesn't highlight anything good, always negative. To do this job correctly you will need to work late weekday hours as well as some weekend or you will fall behind quickly.

Advice to Management

Value your employees better. Would be a greatly morale booster

4. "Part time Merchandiser"

I worked at American Greetings part-time

Pros

Flexible hours, you set your own schedule. Independent work environment. American Greetings Supervisors only show up to evaluate you periodically. However, you must have good rapport with store managers because supervisors will ask them about your performance.

Cons

Company dictates how many hours you should work at each store. Depending on how much work a particular store needs, the time constraints they give are not always reasonable. Some store customers are not always considerate of your work. They will leave things out of place or on the floor even with you watching and you cannot address them. No employee discounts on products, even though store employees often times get them.

Advice to Management

Management should be more understanding when employees have to work beyond time constraints to maintain the upkeep of the departments.

5. "Merchandiser."

I have been working at American Greetings part-time

Pros

I enjoy working for American greetings. You are your own boss out in the field and overseen by a manager when needed. The job is not a hard one and it is fun.

Cons

I think you should have a little more on the job training. Traveling is ok but need more pay for it as some areas are 10 miles.

6. "American Greetings Review"

Former Employee - in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - in Cleveland, OH

I worked at American Greetings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good work life balance and great new facility

Cons

not a lot of upward mobility opportunities

7. "Merchandise"

I have been working at American Greetings part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, My supervisor is great!

Cons

Very little hours, I would like more hours.

8. "Holiday Order Filler"

Former Employee - Manual Holiday Order Filling in Osceola, AR
    Former Employee - Manual Holiday Order Filling in Osceola, AR

I worked at American Greetings full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very wide variety of 20+ different departments and each have +10 different positions in each departments .. so you're very much more than open to everything that could decide your shift, pay, and the other work environments

Cons

On top of all that opportunity for employees, in reality you can get assigned to any department but you are doing it wrong with yourself and jaylen have a larger build, and it affects your spread, and Actually on some random stuff from y'all to be honest with us, I'm going to get a good strong

Advice to Management

My department manager and supervisor are always doing their job correctly when it comes up to me and our clumsy selfs ;)

"Merchandiser"

Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at American Greetings part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible Hours. Work Independently

Cons

Expectations of degree of commitment to job is large. Should not have to work multiple times 10 hours in one day with push back on how long it takes to do the job

Advice to Management

Learn how to manage employee expectations. Communicate what the company expects.

10. "OK place to work"

Current Employee - Analyst in Westlake, OH
    Current Employee - Analyst in Westlake, OH

I have been working at American Greetings full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work/Life balance, good benefits, great new location and building

Cons

Silos, incompetent managers, too many layers of managers. Business model geared towards millennials is a waste of time - they don't stay long enough to learn the business.

Advice to Management

look at inventing is your tenured associates