American Greetings Reviews | Glassdoor

American Greetings Reviews

Updated July 22, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • no longer accepting full time merchandisers (only part time) (in 16 reviews)

• There are no benefits whatsoever (in 14 reviews)

Former Employee - PT Merchandiser in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - PT Merchandiser in Sacramento, CA

I worked at American Greetings part-time

Pros

There are no pros that I can think of.

Cons

Minimum Wage, not enough time to do job, Management does not get back to you for help, Says flexible schedule but only for them not the Merchandiser. You can't take off unless you get someone to cover. Its says part time but they really want you to be there more then that. My experience was told I couldn't do this job with another when only promised 5 to 10 hrs a week. My experience was that it was like being on call and not have an idea of what hours you will be working from week to week. In order to take off would have to secure someone yourself to take over. There are more responsibilities then you would think for a minimum paying job.

Advice to Management

Hire pay, better training and ability to be flexible with merchandiser schedules also. Include all the responsibilities during interview. Don't tell part time merchandisers they are only promised 5 to 10 hrs a week and then tell them they can't get another job. Also don't tell them they can't leave for the weekend without approval from supervisor.

2. "merchandise"

Pros

You can make your own schedule good for people in college or stay at home moms.

Cons

Short hours, low pay feel like working at a factory is better next.

I worked at American Greetings part-time

Pros

Flexible working hours, make your own schedule

Cons

Not enough hours to support yhourself. You can not move up,

Advice to Management

Get a clue about the workers who hold your company together. You should provide more hours, better pay and most importantly learn to recognize your emplyees for their commitment and drive.

"Part Time Merchandiser"

I worked at American Greetings part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Being able to work alone. Variety in locations. If you enjoy not being sedentary lots of moving/good workout

Cons

Not quite as flexible as promised. Seemed like a job I could supplement my other job that is not quite full time. This though required me being in early mornings, and not all stores are quite responsive or helpful often locking up or putting boxes high on pallets where they are difficult to reach. Putting up displays in time wanted difficult to impossible when stores are often crowded or have other merchandise blocking AG area. Some receiving managers as well as staff can be difficult to rude

Advice to Management

Be a bit more realistic is what is required of job and hours that will be received. Be more forthright in not only the hours a merchandiser will receive but the schedule in terms of times of day or night they likely will need to report in. A good job for those retired wanting a bit of extra money or people without other jobs or major responsibilities, but be more realistic when interviewing candidates with their availability.

5. "Merchandiser"

Former Employee - PT Merchandiser in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - PT Merchandiser in Cleveland, OH

Pros

Work Independently, nice people, flexible. Work is easy for the most part. During busy times of the year you will be busy with your own accounts and helping others.

Cons

Really on your own. Minimal hours during time of the year. Technology I had was outdated. Dint work half of the time. This is the reason why I quit,

"This job made me realize that I have a lot of self respect left and I won't ever work like this again!"

Former Intern - Part Time Merchandiser
    Former Intern - Part Time Merchandiser

I worked at American Greetings as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

You get first look at the new products for the upcoming holidays, and can make your own schedule by the hours, or hour they give you to do your work.

First time ever in received a check for $5.00 for a weeks worth of work! I got paid more when I was a babysitter! This was a good eye opening for me!

Cons

This is a hard job! Manual labor for very little money and expectations of fulfilling orders, filling card pockets, and wrapping, in minimal time allowed set up from the company. If you do the work in more time than allowed, you are written up! This is a job for someone who could use an extra job just to get out of the house, the work is tedious and very tiring especially for holidays. During big holidays, you are required to go to the store and put more cards out at a very early hour of the day, plus clean up the area after the people make a huge, huge mess. This was all not not not for me, while only making very little money!

Advice to Management

You need to manually go to a store and out the cards out and see how people in heavy traffic areas make a huge huge mess of the cards and the displays, this way when you give some one 1.5 ( which equates to 1 1/2 hours ) to out out three boxes of cards that has 250 cards or more in each box, plus wrapping and bags, it's near impossible! Try it during Mother's Day!

DONATE YOUR WASTE! Or SELL it?...everything gets thrown away! Terrible terrible waste,

"PT Merchandiser"

Current Employee - PT Merchandiser in Reading, PA
    Current Employee - PT Merchandiser in Reading, PA

I have been working at American Greetings (More than 5 years)

Pros

Somewhat flexible hours. Some stores have music playing on their speakers as you work and I like that.

Cons

Not enough hours. They expect alot for not many hours, etc.

Advice to Management

Maybe later.

"Merchandiser"

Pros

Autonomy, work from home, flexibility

Cons

Constant procedural changes, low pay, constant mandatory updates for new processes that have to be constantly learned

Advice to Management

The company is continuously adding more and more processes and procedures on top of previous processes and procedures in order to compensate for gaps in information being communicated. This is clearly the result of corporate being 1.) Out of touch with the field 2.) Too lazy to implement structural changes on their end if they are somewhat in touch or 3.) Decision makers in corporate are simply not listening to the people who are aware of the issues. Meanwhile, they are continuously adding ridiculous amounts of time in the form of learning new processes and dealing with their outdated software glitches, quickly making a 20hr a week job a 40hr a week job just to deal with the BS. Just entering hours now takes 35% longer now because of your new system.... that adds up, geniuses. You pay for that. Think about it...

"little room to grow"

I have been working at American Greetings (More than 8 years)

Pros

It is a creative job

Cons

enormous amount of "paperwork" attached

Advice to Management

hire more artists

10. "Administration"

Pros

Salary is fair, new building should be cool, cafeteria is good, they have good products and the chairmans awards are a pretty cool way to celebrate successes

Cons

Market is declining and they constantly have layoffs, the president/COO is progressive and has done a lot of good things, but he is so egotistical is is hard to have any one else's ideas heard.

Advice to Management

start investing in your people