KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

American Greetings

Is this your company?

American Greetings

Add a Review

American Greetings Employee Reviews about "part time"

Updated Jan 14, 2021

Found 52 of over 932 reviews

3.5
American Greetings CEO Joe Arcuri
Joe Arcuri
Pros
  • "Flexible schedule, was able to continue to balance work and family(in 81 reviews)

• "This position was flexible hours, so you could make your own schedule(in 55 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Not much interaction with other merchandisers as there use to be(in 37 reviews)

• "This is a great part time job for extra money for retirees (like me)(in 33 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of American Greetings and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "part time"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Goid

Jan 14, 2021 - Merchandiser in Spotsylvania, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I like I can pick my hours

Cons

No 401K for part time

2. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

Did enjoy the job for 14 years, but then it changed in the last year I stayed. 15 years total

Jan 4, 2021 - Merchandiser in Oceanside, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Part time, can pretty much “make” your own hours within constraints

Cons

Not much interaction with other merchandisers as there use to be.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great

Dec 15, 2020 - Merchandiser
      Business Outlook

Pros

It’s a really great part time job

Cons

Such a great Pt job

4. 1.0
      Current Employee

The company has sadly changed a lot

Oct 18, 2020 - Merchandiser in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexibility Good for people who just want a small part time job. Like students who want to make a little extra money.

Cons

No full time offered Barely enough hours for even a part time job. Use to offer bigger routes but now they made them so small the hours are barely worth the time. Also new employees coming in are making about the same money as merchandisers who have been with the company longer. Company has sadly changed a lot.

5. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Something doesn't feel right...

Jun 9, 2020 - Designer in Westlake, OH
      Business Outlook

Pros

The building is very nice and accommodating, but more so than the staff.

Cons

Low pay for amount of work done, hours can be all over the place, sometimes squeezing 40+ hours out of us even though we're part time, only to have hours cut later in the fiscal year, lack of communication, no benefits, there is no room for growth. There is no reason to stay because they already have chosen who will move up and if it's not you, it's never going to be you. Basically waiting around to find a new job while the economy settles.

6. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great

Sep 8, 2020 - Creative Specialist in Westlake, OH
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing atmosphere, amazing new building! Super modern, flexible schedule

Cons

They try to keep you part time

7. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Can be a great place to work

Aug 19, 2019 - Creative Specialist in Westlake, OH
      Business Outlook

Pros

I love the work, pay is ok considering I’m part time and I work with some great people. It has a family feel and makes team work much easier to accomplish.

Cons

I have no consistency in work so I can go from working 40+ hours to nothing for weeks. Management honestly isn’t very good at actually managing. Great people but they suck at doing there job. The current state of the company is a little unknown and the vibes have become more negative since the layoffs have started.

8. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Territory Sales Manager

Oct 29, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
      Business Outlook

Pros

Collaborative team-oriented company with great district managers that truly care about their teams

Cons

High turnover with the part-time merchandisers can be challenging to manage. There was never a time where I had a fully staffed territory. Long hours at first and expect to work holidays, because your employees are

9. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

The *bleep* rolls downhill to the card merchandiser

Dec 17, 2019 - Merchandiser in Minneapolis, MN
      Business Outlook

Pros

A true part time job that, within some boundaries, is flexible and offers the ability to set your own schedule. I benefited from a market adjustment in hourly rate. And, I liked working alone.

Cons

You work as a vendor within another business. I merchandized cards in a grocery store and in a globally recognized department store. Vendors can be looked down upon by employees. No matter what I tried, interaction at the grocery store was mostly antagonistic. They got especially jerky when there was an upcoming store inventory. The dept store? It all depends on the store's leadership team, but, I experienced store employees who did take out their rough day on vendors. I heard "people like you" a lot (in lieu of using the word *vendor*). One thing I learned through merchandizing cards is that people are animals. I've had to clean up partially eaten food, lots of bloody tissues, grocery lists, merchandice from other parts of the store, bugs (dead and alive), spilled drinks, abandoned drinks, and much more. I came to dread seasonal change overs (eg from Christmas to Valentines) because of some of the customers. They would virtually boo and hiss as I worked. I repeat: people are animals. Finally, I had 3 territory sales managers in less than 2 years. (Leadership ability was mixed at best.) There's a territory-based training role in the organization. There's no policy against this, but, individuals in this role can take advantage of their role to pad their paychecks by, for example, swooping into a "vacant" store being covered by other merchandizers to in effect steal work hours/wages. I experienced this directly (and learned it wasn't wrong because no policy existed that addressed it). 2018 was a crazy year. I think because of a transition from American Greeting as a family-owned business to a business purchased by a group of shareholders. The quality of displayer product when down significantly. Also, the company started sending way too much seasonal product to the stores which caused my stores to panic and take it out on me.

4 people found this review helpful
    10. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Heavy lifting low pay

Sep 8, 2019 - Merchandiser
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible hours. Very physical work so I am actually working out.

Cons

I am retired and have a pension so fortunately I don't have to rely on this job to support myself. Be ready for lots of heavy lifting big cartons of cards especially during holiday season. Too much product is shipped to smaller stores and the cards end up being tossed. What a waste of resources and effort on the part of merchandisers. The job pays minimum wage but expectations are unrealistic. Limited hours to accomplish large amount of tasks. Some managers only care about metrics to make themselves look good. Part time merchandisers making minimum wage are the faces stores see so they have a heavy responsibility. I can go on and on. Don't do it unless you just need side income.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 52 Reviews