American Heart Association Director Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
American Heart Association CEO Nancy A. Brown
Nancy A. Brown

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work/Life balance is better than most (in 43 reviews)

• AHA also has great benefits that motivates you to become a healthier you (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes a work/life balance is hard (in 63 reviews)

• No work-life balance, micro-managed, (in 17 reviews)

1. "Great Place To Work!"

Current Employee - Youth Market Director in Minneota, MN
    Current Employee - Youth Market Director in Minneota, MN

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, work from home, mileage reimbursement, various duties, good benefits & vacation, dedicated staff, passionate volunteers. Offices are closed Dec. 25 through Jan. 1.

Cons

Can be some long hours and weekends depending on the time of year.

American Heart Association Response

Oct 16, 2017 – Talent Acquisition & Engagement

Thank you for sharing your thoughts working at the American Heart Association. We are glad that you enjoy the Paid Time Off from Dec. 25 through Jan. 1. We want our employees to enjoy their holiday... More

2. "AHA's striving to the be the BEST Organization YET!"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The American Heart Association is an organization dedicated to improving the lives of ALL Americans by reducing one's risk of heart disease and stroke.

In addition, it focuses on creating a healthy working environment for its employees as well.

Therefore, it focuses on both improving its internal and external practices to make its environment and procedures more conducive to achieving success..

Cons

Downside for working with the American Heart Association is its fear of taking risks as it relates to addressing social determinants of health. It's time to BE BOLD and LEAP....that what it's going to take.

Advice to Management

Advice to management is to focus on enacting the inclusivity vision shared rather than continue to engage in the dialogue about it.

3. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Director QII in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Director QII in Boise, ID

I worked at American Heart Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, flexible work options, benefits and PTO are good.

Cons

Long interview process- CIDS are 3 hours and intense. Lots of turnover with development staff. Pay is not on par with for profit for some. PTO could be more.

4. "Great okac to work"

Current Employee - Heart Ball Director
    Current Employee - Heart Ball Director

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It is a great position to work with business leaders in our area for a great cause. Great work life balance!

Cons

No cons to share it is a great place!

5. "Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Youth Market Director in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Youth Market Director in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Our organization really cares about it's employees and supports us!

Cons

I really don't believe there are any cons to my position here.

6. "Company"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Poughkeepsie, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Poughkeepsie, NY

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible environment; field work, meeting interesting people; supportive regarding personal growth, education and advancement; highly rewarding; outstanding core values; intellectually stimulating

Cons

support staff changes positions frequently due to level of position, for growth, and general entry level

Advice to Management

provide growth opportunities for non-sales staff

American Heart Association Response

Sep 6, 2017 – Talent Acquisition & Engagement

Thank you for submitting your review. We are glad to hear from you that you find the work at AHA - a rewarding career. The AHA Glassdoor Team

"Money Focused , NOT Mission Focused"

Current Employee - Fundraising Director
    Current Employee - Fundraising Director

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Better than average salary and good health insurance for a non-profit job

Cons

This company is very leadership top heavy in salary with too many titles with VP next to their name sitting behind a spread sheet. They are very aggressive with their fundraising goals and asks and do not take into any consideration of what economy is like nor will they listen to any suggestions that you provide that would mutually benefit the organization as well as sponsor. You are on your own when it comes to logistics, proposals, communications or media support, supplies, etc. You are IT for whatever market you represent in the field. They encourage "shaming" in large group emails and text messages as if they were selling cars in stead of saving lives. They will not offer you any new relevant tools to show the community their support has made a difference, or any major breakthrough in development. You might as well make something up in order to keep your job . I have had very high level donors candidly tell me that the American Heart Association has unrealistic expectations of their volunteers and sponsors when serving on boards. You are then emailed and even text messaged on weekends late into the evening from management demanding reports for their benefit that require hours of extra time. There is also a lack of maturity when they continue hire newer leadership, that lacks HR skills and professionalism when dealing with high level donors as well as over sharing personal information with other teammates. Not good work life balance, at all.

Advice to Management

I have been very disappointed in this organization lately and regret leaving the corporate world thinking I was serving my community for those affected by heart disease or was supporting local programs even at the regional level. Leadership needs to realize the American Heart Association image is not great in the field and even your most loyal financial supporters are starting to not believe your "canned messages" you want us to give in the field for when they question us. Sadly, AHA has the chance to really save themselves and do great things but as long as you have everyone in leadership worried about their bonuses and their half million dollar homes, you might as well be a for- profit business and start a pharmaceutical company soon.

8. "Amazing organization - great place to work!"

Current Employee - Senior Director
    Current Employee - Senior Director

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Important mission - it is extremely rewarding to know that lives are being saved and improved because of the work you do every day. The Association culture reflects diversity and inclusion. Senior management cares about and listens to employees. Focus on teamwork and collaboration. Excellent benefits, flexibility and work-life balance. Employee recognition.

Cons

Career advancement takes time (many people stay long-term, especially on the mission side of the organization). Salary could be more competitive (but overall compensation package makes up for it with generous benefits, flexibility and work-life balance).

Advice to Management

More opportunities for career growth & advancement.

9. "Division Director"

Current Employee - Division Director in Bowling Green, KY
    Current Employee - Division Director in Bowling Green, KY

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work/Life Balance, Growth Opportunities, Management Support, Recognition

Cons

Sometimes I feel the online tools we use are overwhelming and complicated (Dynamics, Luminate, SharePoint)

10. "Review"

Current Employee - Director in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Director in Albany, NY

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Believing in the mission and working with the survivors and families

Cons

Too many new policies being thrown at Directors

Advice to Management

Simplify