American Heart Association Reviews

Updated Jul 1, 2020

American Heart Association CEO Nancy A. Brown
Nancy A. Brown
Pros
  • "great benefits, a competitive salary(in 82 reviews)

• "I'm so proud to be working for such an empowering organization with a great mission(in 67 reviews)

Cons
  • "work/life balance isn't always there(in 78 reviews)

• "Non-profit salaries are not the best but it's worth it IMO for the cause, can be high pressure(in 45 reviews)

1. Featured Review
    COVID-19

"COVID 19 Initiatives at Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

AHA has taken an active initiative during these hard times as we are experiencing a global pandemic. Our senior leadership provided us with working from home initiatives from the very beginning, however is continuously being proactive in providing us with helpful tips and resources for staff and their families during these times. The organization is also working together and has created specific ERGs for staff during these times to help one another and be resourceful and supportive towards one another.

Cons

It's been hard to work from home continuously in these times of crisis, however, great resources have been provided to the staff where working from home isn't always difficult.

April 10, 2020Talent Acquisition & Engagement

Thank you for sharing your valuable feedback with us and glad you are utilizing the Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) and finding it helpful and resourceful for you and your family. Please find other additional resources below: _We are reminding people about the value of telemedicine. It is now becoming a critical tool in preventing exposures, freeing health care workers and supplies to alleviate the stress on health systems. (Remember we have the Teladoc benefit.) _Connect with each other at the AHA Activities Community Site, Parents and Families at Heart ERG and #WithMe ERG group _And be sure to check out the Employee Assistance Program (EAP) as well. _Please don't hesitate to reach out to My HR Connection if you have any questions or need help. Take care and stay safe! The AHA Talent Attraction team

2. "A National organization that feels like a small community"

Current Employee - quality and systems improvement director in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time for less than a year

Pros

The AHA/ASA is a non-profit organization, so I feel like all the work I'm doing is for a great cause, one that is very important to me. Being a science-based organization, decisions are not made lightly and are not based in subjectivity. I love working for an organization that I can observe benefit my own community through research funding, community outreach, and legislative work. My supervisors and coworkers have been incredibly supportive since day one. They have all helped to remove barriers and everyone jumps in to help each other when needed rather than competing. AHA/ASA has the benefit of being a National organization which people recognize and look to for guidance. There is opportunity for recognition and collaboration across the country as well as internationally. However, there are smaller teams throughout the organization that focus on the health of the local communities and support healthcare providers even in the most rural places.

Cons

As a large organization, sometimes changes can take a while to come to fruition. However, ideas and suggestions are heard and elevated to appropriate levels.

"Feels like a corporation, not a nonprofit"

Current Employee - Development Director in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great benefits, you receive all the positives of being a large organization

Cons

You are under high pressure all the time, no matter how much work you put in it’s never enough.

"The development team is great, but senior management is completely disconnected to their employees."

Former Employee - Business Development Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at American Heart Association full-time

Pros

- great coworkers - good benefits

Cons

- work/life balance - lack of empathy and disconnection from leadership - unrealistic expectations

5. "Asked to review"

Current Employee - Youth Market Director in Laramie, WY

Pros

Constant help and guidance. AHA stays ahead of current events.

Cons

Micro Managing, I am not use to working with or for others so this is new to me. Not a bad thing just something to get use to.

Continue reading
  6. "AHA youth market director"

Current Employee - Youth Market Director in Arlington, VA

Pros

Good benefits and flexible work schedule

Cons

Micromanagement and way too much data entry

7. "Development"

Current Employee - Corporate Market Director in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time

Pros

Great training and national organization

Cons

Too many cooks in the kitchen sometimes. Things move so quickly that often times, details on how to accomplish a specific task go over looked.

June 15, 2020

• It’s great to read your review and to see that your experience has been rewarding and fulfilling. It is our goal as an employer for this to be the experience of all our staff because it supports staff engagement and thereby, accomplishing our mission. Please know that we take your comments as a valid expression of your experience, and will share them in our ongoing review of staff commentary with the goal of continuing to improve as an employer.

8. "Working with Heart"

Current Employee - Community Impact Director in Houston, TX

Pros

Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion, Passionate Colleagues and Management, Work-Life Balance, Great Benefits

Cons

Running Ideas/Approvals up the chain can take a while and can get lost, creating kinks in achieving change efficiently

June 8, 2020

• It’s great to read your review and to see that your experience has been rewarding and fulfilling. It is our goal as an employer for this to be the experience of all our staff because it supports staff engagement and thereby, accomplishing our mission. We have shared your comments with an employee experience group dedicated to reviewing employee comments for the purpose of making AHA the best employer possible.

9. "Employee Wellbeing Centered"

Current Employee - Development Specialist in Fayetteville, AR

Pros

Provides resources from professional development to mental health wellness resources. Truly cares about the personal growth of each employee.

Cons

Not coming from a medical community, it takes a while to understand all the acronyms and different systems used to track information. Luckily, there are trainings, but don't be discouraged when you need to take them multiple times!

June 8, 2020

• We are glad that in the time you have been with the AHA, that you have had a positive experience. Onboarding and training new staff is something we place a lot of importance on, and our staff are dedicated to making the experience successful for all new staff. We hope you share your experience with others and that you continue to enjoy and grow your career at the AHA. The value we bring to the communities we serve, starts with the passion and talents of all our staff.

10. "Classy Organization"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Austin, TX

Pros

The Heart Association is a very fair and classy organization to work for. Everyone is equipped with a bounty of resources and strong brand recognition to ease day to day operations. One of the highest paying NPO's out there.

Cons

The goals are extremely ambitious, so if one is not equipped to work in a very fast pace environment it may cause stress.

June 8, 2020

• Reading reviews like this really reinforces the efforts we make to provide a healthy and welcoming environment to our staff. The AHA is a great place to make a real difference in the lives of others, and having staff enjoy their experience can only make us more effective in the pursuit of achieving our mission. This is a great example of how a career at the AHA can be both rewarding and challenging. We hope you continue to grow and develop, while serving your community.

Found 828 reviews