KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

What people are saying about American Heart Association

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great benefits and PTO.(in 147 reviews)
  • "It is full of great people to work with who truly care about the mission of the organization(in 50 reviews)
  • "This organization's salary was competitive with other salaries that I earned.(in 30 reviews)
  • "Good pay is about the only thing(in 29 reviews)
  • "Great mission; money well managed; great to work with volunteers, donors and survivors(in 24 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of American Heart Association and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years
    Featured Review

20 years and still loving it

May 3, 2022 - Vice President
    Business Outlook

Pros

My co-workers - the volunteers - the mission. I have enjoyed working for an organization that I love for the last 20 years. I have worked for other nonprofits, but the AHA is different and much better.

Cons

There is a lot to accomplish, we are fighting the number one killer of all people and that is not always easy.

3 people found this review helpful

Employer Branding and Diversity Outreach

Wow, 20 years! How incredible. Employees like you are the reason why we have made the impact that we have. From the bottom of our hearts, thank you and congratulations.

2. 5.0
    Current Employee

Wonderful company to work!

Jun 29, 2022 - Development Director
    Business Outlook

Pros

Company culture, strong leadership, impactful work

Cons

Just above standard compensation, none else

3. 5.0

Amazing

Jun 29, 2022 - Director of Development
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great work life balance. The AHA always provides tools and resources for you to be successful at your job.

Cons

None - overall great company with normal ups and downs

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Working Hard and Making a Difference!

Jun 6, 2022 - Senior Director Marketing in Houston, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

I truly feel like my work is making an impact. Every role at the AHA plays a part in telling our story and advancing our mission. The AHA values their employees' mental health and generally respects work/life balance. Great benefits and plenty of PTO. In my short time with the AHA, I've received 2 promotions and a spot bonus, on top of merit-based salary increases. If you express interest in growing with the organization, your manager and HR will help your career path. It's a great place to work!

Cons

During heavy event season, expect to work extra hours during the week. Also, there is sometimes a disconnect between work at the local level and national initiatives.

5. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

They will cut you out while smiling at you

May 20, 2022 - Youth Market Director in West Palm Beach, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

The volunteers I worked with were the reason I stayed for so long.

Cons

They would fire an employee that had been there for years to replace them with a person that had less responsibilities in their personal life. Work never stopped, they expected you to work at night and on the weekends, there was NO work life balance (even though they preached that). Management makes a ridiculous amount of money while the directors are "raising money for sick kids". They didn't care if there was a Natural Disaster, a pandemic, a sick family member- you had to raise $ or you were replaced. While management called out on meetings and basically didn't work. A LOT of shady business going on for management to get their bonuses. They couldn't keep a team of directors in the southeast region due to the management...but upper management didn't see it.

Continue reading
    5 people found this review helpful

Employer Branding and Diversity Outreach

Thank you for providing your feedback. The AHA takes great pride in our employees and their important contributions to our life-saving mission. The AHA is recognized as an employer of choice for our commitment to the highest standards in leadership, business ethics and a supportive, respectful, diverse work environment and receives high ratings from charity watchdog groups for governance, fundraising practices and expenses. More information may be found in our most recent Annual Report here: https://www.heart.org/en/about-us/annual-report.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Incredible place to work

Jun 21, 2022 - Associate
    Business Outlook

Pros

Everyone is kind, compassionate, intelligent, and diligent! My coworkers are wonderful and my boss is amazing! Can’t say enough good things about Heart. Grateful to be here!

Cons

Can’t think of any cons!

7. 4.0

Overall Good, Minor Issues

Jun 15, 2022 - Development Director
    Business Outlook

Pros

Offers the best, most low-stress work life balance of my entire career (almost a decade in the workforce.) Easy to find purpose in your work. Good people who really mean well. Strong, recognizable brand that carries clout. Great, relatable mission that is easy to pitch to donors and sponsors. They really try to practice what they preach with regards to employees taking care of themselves, work life balance, incentivizing healthy living, etc. I have a great Executive Director, so my experience has been largely positive with the organization. Everyone seems very willing to help each other succeed.

Cons

They formally announced they’d like everyone back in the office at least three days a week, which feels incredibly wrong as inflation continues to pummel Americans. The pay is ok, but you’re going to need to leave the organization fairly quickly to keep up with cost of living increasing these days. You get about 13 days off a year when you start out (provided you start early in the year), but the accrual factor is extremely antiquated and annoying. The bonus/incentive structure isn’t clearly explained in the interview process - it’s not dependent on just your own work, which is bothersome to me. I’d rather just make a commission on whatever deals I bring in on my own - that’s going to incentivize me much more than the current structure. Red tape with approvals for pretty much everything means things move at a snails pace, sometimes to the detriment of a sponsorship deal. Classic big organization frustrations.

Continue reading
    1 person found this review helpful

Employer Branding and Diversity Outreach

We appreciate you sharing your experience by taking the time to leave a review and share your concerns. We know that our development team works incredibly hard to move the mission forward. We’re glad you find meaning in your work and that the AHA’s work-life balance and flexibility work for you. We do know that every market is unique and admire the initiative our people show in crafting experiences that are meaningful for their communities, within the framework of the AHA’s message and brand. Our leaders strive to ensure our compensation and benefits package is competitive and rewards people appropriately for their hard work. And we do acknowledge the concerns everyone has over gas prices, which unfortunately are affecting people around the world right now. If you’d like to share your concerns one-on-one with our team, please reach out to your local HR Representative.

8. 4.0

Intern

Jun 29, 2022 - Intern
    Business Outlook

Pros

Learning from educated strong individuals

Cons

No compensation, far drive to office, and far drive to community events

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Pros

Mission driven organization that is dedicated to improving health for all persons resulting in high degree of job satisfaction A company that cares about its employees with a robust benefits package, allows flexibitliy in work setting, and lives the mission through promotion of health and well being through a variety of programs and initiatives Encourages professional development through access to on line educational platforms and varied courses on American Heart Univsersity as well as team driven special training programs. A company of several hundred employees still able to create a feeling of 'family' across national and international geographies.

Cons

No company is perfect and over my twenty years there have been challenges related to team dynamics, leadership and significant pressure to achieve agressive goals. However the good far outweighs the bad and I remain committed to the AHA!

10. 4.0

Good Company

Jun 28, 2022 - Director
    Business Outlook

Pros

Strategic non-profit that works top down

Cons

Very sales driven and sometimes transactional

Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,153 Reviews

American Heart Association Reviews FAQs

American Heart Association has an overall rating of 4.1 out of 5, based on over 1,266 reviews left anonymously by employees. 78% of employees would recommend working at American Heart Association to a friend and 74% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, American Heart Association employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.0 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at American Heart Association. This rating has decreased by -4% over the last 12 months.

78% of American Heart Association employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated American Heart Association 3.8 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.1 for culture and values and 3.8 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at American Heart Association to be career development, coworkers, benefits and the cons to be culture, senior leadership, management.

Popular Careers with American Heart Association Job Seekers

JobsSalariesInterviews

Work at American Heart Association? Share Your Experiences

American Heart Association Careers

Cover image for American Heart Association

Who We Are The American Heart Association is the nation’s oldest and largest voluntary organization dedicated to fighting heart disease...More

• Our History
  • Careers
  • #TheAHALife
  • Diversity & Intern

Company Updates

199 days ago

Diversity and Inclusion
The American Heart Association has been awarded the 2021 Leading Disability Employer Seal by the National Organization on Disability (NOD) for the second year in a row! Now in its seventh year, the NOD Leading Disability Employer Seal recognizes companies for measuring and achieving strong talent outcomes for people with disabilities. With this recognition, NOD endeavors to shine a light on those employers that are committed to building an inclusive workforce by adopting exemplary employment practices for people with disabilities. The NOD Leading Disability Employer Seal is a selective award given to companies based on their performance on the Employment Tracker, the only assessment tool available to evaluate workforce disability inclusion policies and practices.
Shared image - Leading Disability Employer Seal - National Organization on Disability
Leading Disability Employer Seal - National Organization on Disability
www.nod.org

700 days ago

We are a relentless force, we are one family! We definitely miss being in the office, but we all are one click away on the zoom meetings and enjoying the virtual workspace! During this time of significant and evolving change, we have resumed active recruitment with limited positions. We invite you to stay connected to learn more about #theahalife, our employees, and the variety of jobs we have. Check out our careers site here: https://heart.jobs/
Shared image