American Heart Association Reviews | Glassdoor

American Heart Association CEO Nancy A. Brown
Nancy A. Brown

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "There is absolutely no work life balance" (in 76 reviews)

• "No work-life balance, micro-managed," (in 18 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Saving Lives is Why"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Dallas, TX

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been with the American Heart Association for a decade now and what invigorates me to come to work every day is the fact that what I do ultimately contributes towards helping people live healthier and longer. As an employee of this organization, I am passionate about making an extraordinary impact by creating a brighter future where no one dies of cardiac arrest. Our mission of saving lives is not just a cliché that we say. It is embedded in the core of our hearts and is what drives us in everything we do.

Cons

I can't think of any right now. I believe that AHA is very competitive and consistently strives to be one of the top employers both in the profit and non-profit world.

Advice to Management

I love the fact that the top executives of the AHA walk the talk of our mission each and every day and demonstrates consistently our core values. I would love to see the same commitment and passion in every member/level of management, holding them accountable to lead by example and reflect the same values.

American Heart Association Response

Nov 28, 2017 – Talent Acquisition & Engagement

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. We appreciate everything you do for our mission and we look forward to your continued support in helping people live a healthier life free of... More

2. "Navigator"

I worked at American Heart Association full-time

Pros

Company benefits are a big pro

Cons

Job pay is a big con

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"I would rather not say"

Current Employee - Fundraising
    Current Employee - Fundraising

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The Heart Association has one of the best benefits packages. I love, love, love what I do. Also, many leadership are fantastic people, caring, compassionate and do their best to guide us to achieve the goals at hand.

Cons

The pressure to raise money regardless of building relationships, market conditions, socio-economic status is often not recognized.

Advice to Management

The pressure to hit goals often times supersedes the health and wellness of employees. Heart is a health and wellness organization and the employees suffer from long hours, not just physical health but emotional health and well-being.

Also, we are always told we have to raise a certain amount to meet our commitments. The question I always wonder is do we make commitments to fund research and development without knowing if it is even possibly. The increases are unrealistic. It would help staff understand where they get the number if we could understand what they want to fund, what they are working on. The information is so dense we cannot speak to it with our potential sponsors.

4. "Former Employee"

I worked at American Heart Association full-time

Pros

Incredible cause and wonderful employees and volunteers.

Cons

Didn't have any big cons.

5. "Development Director"

Current Employee - Development Director
    Current Employee - Development Director

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The team has been very welcoming and helpful. They are willing to answer any questions and want to set me up for success.

Cons

I have no experienced any cons so far!

"Mission Driven"

I worked at American Heart Association full-time

Pros

The Best reasons to work at the AHA is educated the public and professionals on lifesaving info.

Cons

Not enough accountability in senior management. And proactive learning.

7. "Great mission and team"

Pros

Everyone believes the mission and works hard to make an impact. Great insurance. 10% 401k match at 2 years. Work life balance depends on your department.

Cons

Currently restructuring so many jobs are being eliminated. Low pay but advancement is possible.

8. "2 year employees"

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time

Pros

wonderful work life balance, great workplace environment, volunteers are great

Cons

poor management, lack of avccountability

9. "Senior Director"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Houston, TX

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent flexibility, benefits, retirement package and they give you off the week between Christmas and New Years. Good opportunities for upward mobility if you work hard. Tons of resources and training available.

Cons

If you are not good at time management and prioritizing, it can become overwhelming.

Advice to Management

Hold senior leadership accountable for more than just dollars and hire more staff.

10. "Development Coordinator"

Current Employee - Development Coordinator in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Development Coordinator in Madison, WI

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing benefits, pay, working advantages, and extensive training

Cons

Was hired a month before fiscal year end which was difficult, but lots of people supported me and kept me under their wing as I got used to the role