American Heart Association Reviews | Glassdoor

American Heart Association CEO Nancy A. Brown
Nancy A. Brown

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"CPR and AED Certification"

Current Employee - Certified in Mystic, CT
    Current Employee - Certified in Mystic, CT

I have been working at American Heart Association (More than a year)

Pros

Small class sizes allow for the ability to give individual attention. Over the years that I have had instruction from an American Heart Association Instructor for my certifications and re-certifications I have always found that the instructor was very knowledgeable, approachable, kind, generous of their time, and through in their instructions.

Cons

Sometimes I think the certification should only last 6 months to a year.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work hiring amazing instructors that continuously assist other in saving lives!!

American Heart Association Response

Jun 28, 2017 – Talent Acquisition & Engagement

Thank you for submitting your review and appreciate everything you do for the American Heart Association. Our CPR team rocks! We are glad to have you with us -The AHA Glassdoor Team

2. "Making a Difference"

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mission driven organization
    Work-Life Balance
    Excellent benefits
    Programs to support employee health wellness

Cons

Remote/Telework not always allowed
    Salary

Advice to Management

Find more opportunities to engage directly with employees at all levels. Continue the awesome work that is being done to inform and involve employees in advancing the organizational goals and mission!

3. "Took my experience building profits in private industry to non-profit. It really paid off."

Current Employee - Vice President in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Vice President in Dallas, TX

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you’re mission focused and hope to make the world a better place, you’ll find many smart, like-minded progressive people here.

Cons

If you really get into the mission, sometimes it’s hard to turn off.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

4. "Saving Lives is Why"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Dallas, TX

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been with the American Heart Association for a decade now and what invigorates me to come to work every day is the fact that what I do ultimately contributes towards helping people live healthier and longer. As an employee of this organization, I am passionate about making an extraordinary impact by creating a brighter future where no one dies of cardiac arrest. Our mission of saving lives is not just a cliché that we say. It is embedded in the core of our hearts and is what drives us in everything we do.

Cons

I can't think of any right now. I believe that AHA is very competitive and consistently strives to be one of the top employers both in the profit and non-profit world.

Advice to Management

I love the fact that the top executives of the AHA walk the talk of our mission each and every day and demonstrates consistently our core values. I would love to see the same commitment and passion in every member/level of management, holding them accountable to lead by example and reflect the same values.

5. "Development"

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fast paced, goal focused, lots of tools and resources for success, fosters growth opportunity within the organization, great benefits, working for a meaningful cause, wonderful colleagues.

Cons

Very structured standardized performance objectives to work within, sometimes goals are too aggressive/unrealistic.

Advice to Management

More involvement from Development staff in goal setting, more regular feedback from field staff to gain better understanding and buy in, adjust according to each individual market and community trends.

6. "Procurement Administrative Assistant"

Current Employee - Procurement Coordinator Assistant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Procurement Coordinator Assistant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time

Pros

This company really goes above and beyond for their employees. Work/Life balance is amazing! Benefits are amazing! Compensation is phenomenal! The all around working environment at the National Center is so warm and energetic. I absolutely love it! I've worked for many different companies that pay well but had horrible hours, or benefits. But AHA clearly has their employees best interest at heart. I've never had a job that had the best of everything until now! I am so happy to call AHA-NC home!

Cons

There are none! AHA Rocks!!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing it works!

7. "An Innovative Non Profit"

Pros

Coming to AHA I soon realized this is a non-profit that runs its business like a for profit and this is a pro. The organization truly seeks out innovation and is constantly evolving to keep up with the changing environment. One examples is the organization's investment in a virtual work environment no matter the staff level. This is a huge perk allowing staff to work where they live and they achieve a healthy balance of office based staff and home based staff.

Cons

AHA offers competitive benefits but with a predominantly female work force the maternity leave benefit is lacking. Staff can take short term disability but in short there is no paid maternity or paternity leave offered as is available in many corporate structures.

8. "Associate Peer Review Manager"

Pros

Team work, manager, having all tools easily accessible to me.

Cons

Working closely with the research/scientist volunteers to fill the many science committees for peer review.

9. "I currently work here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at American Heart Association (More than 5 years)

Pros

Feeling connected to the mission and knowing your work makes a difference, and an understanding team, that allows for flexibility in work hours. Additionally being metrics driven and goal focused its easy to track your contribution to the programs you work on. Encouragement to find roles that fit your strengths and talents.

Cons

Workload, which makes it difficult to have a work-life balance; and the resulting pay.

Advice to Management

Have a plan to develop upcoming talent, and provide them the opportunity to do a good job, by providing adequate resources.

10. "Data Analyst"

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time

Pros

Nice work culture and management, you get quality work to do

Cons

Salary is low as compared to the market value.