American Heart Association Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
American Heart Association CEO Nancy A. Brown
Nancy A. Brown

Pros
Cons
  • AHA always speaks about work-life balance, but it needs to be across the board (in 56 reviews)

• No work-life balance, micro-managed, (in 17 reviews)

"Client Engagement specialist"

Former Employee - Client Engagement Specialist in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Client Engagement Specialist in Richardson, TX

I worked at American Heart Association full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great NEC staff and trainers

Cons

I was fired yesterday for being hospitalized with a stroke and missing training. I cant believe a organization with the mission to promote healthy lives would treat me in this manner.

Advice to Management

Call 911 when needed, call emergency contact for employee, use good judgment

"Dietitian"

Former Employee - Dietitian in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Dietitian in Cleveland, OH

I worked at American Heart Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Multifaceted and multi-dimensional career opportunity. Awesome for building new leadership skills, working with groups of people, meeting fascinating folks all over the place, in a variety of settings.

Cons

Underpaid, over-worked, unappreciated by my boss ...and my boss's boss. Lots of politics ...they regularly neglected to give credit where credit was due.

Advice to Management

This was the Cleveland, Ohio Affiliate in the mid 90's. My last year with them was in 1996, but that was not an option, and I was forced to put the latest date I worked for them, which was not an option, so I put 2012 in the space. Sorry about that!

"Managing Office"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

I worked at American Heart Association full-time

Pros

Pay was good, they're mission is good. To bad they are failing as overall office. Gossip, overall.

Cons

Hired, after short time was told. Could not afford to pay individual, training insufficient, relies on no human support.

Advice to Management

Need to have sales team meet requirements of quotas, to be able to afford in house staff. Senior staff needs to make sales staff follow rules of corporate instead of making they're own rules. Stop spending and bring in profits.

"Young & pretty with no opinion? Then this is the place for you..."

Current Employee - Business Development Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Business Development Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Retirement benefits and flexible schedule (depending on your manager)

Cons

Managers micromanage and pick favorites. In my office you are required to send your manager every email for review and copy them on anything you send. You are also required to bring 2-3 people to every external meeting. There is no trust among upper management and you must do whatever they say. They aren't open to ideas or suggestions unless you are one of the 'chosen' favorites.

For such a sales driven environment, they don't have any planning tools or proper projections. People will literally make up numbers for potential sponsorships without ever meeting or speaking to the prospect. There also isn't much movement if you don't want to be a fundraiser.

For anyone looking to work here, ask about the turnover in the office and listen to the negative reviews. All offices across the nation have similar problems. I also want to add that HR is aware of the bad glassdoor reputation and started an internal campaign to encourage employees to write positive reviews....

Advice to Management

HQ needs to have a better understanding of what goes on at the individual offices. There is a lot of bullying and fear placed on employees from managers at the local level.

"Worst job in a long career"

Former Employee - Director in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Director in Arlington, VA

I worked at American Heart Association full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I can't think of one, except the mission. AHA on a large scale does good things.

Cons

Triangulating, territorial, micromanaging leadership. Money is spent in droves on dazzle, not so much on employees.

"Blame is the game..."

Former Employee - Corporate Development Director in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Corporate Development Director in Dallas, TX

Pros

Truly wonderful volunteer base, volunteers are commited to doing a great job. Benefits begin upon hire.

Cons

Management is abusive to fundraising staff and volunteers, no manager is in this job because they have any feeling for heart research. Goals are outrageous and sponsors are harassed for funding. This comes strictly from the region I worked in,
    perhaps not all regions are this way. Turnover is outrageous but management finds favor with this because it gives them a source for blame, they tell themselves and truly believe volunteers do not see through this. Management has a conflict with volunteers and guests at every single event. If you cannot get along with anyone the problem is you. Uncontrolled temperament must be a requirement to work as a manager.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing! Thanks to your hatefulness, abusive words and generalized yelling and screaming you have driven countless volunteers and thousands of dollars to other charities. Keep up the good work and please be assured other charities actually have an attitude of gratitude.

"Best non Profit is not True!"

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Dallas, TX

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Long Holiday's off and Benefits

Cons

Work life balence is untrue,high turnover in all departments especially Human Resources,micro-management is a way for untrained managers to put theur work off on you,no accountability with uper management and they promote within to stiff employees out of competitive salaries,no pay grade because is promoted within you can only obtain 5% of your salary depending on the promotion and job title you obtain. Very untrustworthy groups you work in they praise you and stab you in the back at the same time, hard to get promoted if you're not in a clique,your not promoted by what you know but who's butt your kissing. Long drawn out meetings that don't accomplish anything,long work hours and firced overtime without pay because its not in the budget. No bonuses for the support staff but uper management receives bonuses for the support staff doing all the work without recognition.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the morale,stop being greedy we are a not for profit,stop ignoring what input support staff has to say, whats the purpose of a person having education if you can't get promoted?Are we saving lives or making your live better?

"terrible work environment and disappointing culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hollywood, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hollywood, FL

Pros

Great mission. OK place to start a career in development -- you will learn a lot!

Cons

Very poor leadership who disrespect and take advantage of staff. Unbelievable discord between staff at the office; lots of back-stabbing. Extremely poor accountability or consequences from supervisors who mistreat staff. Extremely high turnover of staff.
    Stay away if you are mission-focused and If you want to advance professionally without compromising your values and principles.

Advice to Management

Respect your staff and let them do their jobs.

American Heart Association Response

Aug 10, 2016 – HR

This is very helpful information and we respect your perspective and thoughts about your time at the American Heart Association. Public forums such as Glassdoor are helpful in shedding light on the ... More

"Development Director"

Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I worked at American Heart Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive compensation packages for 501(c)3 organization; the AHA brand still carries commendable leverage in a vastly expanded universe of non-profit orgs.

Cons

Poorly unsophisticated sales/development training; management doesn't use compatible data to determine event goals; incredibly high turnover, which inhibits relationship building, which results in poor revenue performance, which results, in poor bonus achievement, which results in high turnover, etc...

Advice to Management

Hire smarter people with consultative sales backgrounds and offer sales training relevant to the non-profit world; stop the fuzzy smoke and mirrors "analytics" to recruit partner companies, it only leads to disappointed clients and crappy performance.

"Need to have their Non-profit status revoked"

Former Employee - Executive Consultant/Educator/Trainer in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Executive Consultant/Educator/Trainer in Dallas, TX

I worked at American Heart Association (More than 8 years)

Pros

I can think of none. Their management was the most back-stabbing and entrenched company that i had ever worked for.

Cons

Spent $5 million dollars on independent research over 5 years only to discover their training doesn't teach much of anything long term but yet have retained the same teaching model. Expensive trips for employees and volunteers for meetings consumed while they have children collect money for the organization. As long as they can demonstrate a minimum amount of profitability, they have been able to maintain their non-profit status.

Advice to Management

Change your educational model to one where people who pay for and take your training actually learn and retain CPR life-saving information rather than simply teach using drill-and-practice.

American Heart Association Response

Aug 10, 2016 – HR

Thank you for the thoughtful sharing of your time working for the American Heart Association. It’s our goal to listen carefully whether the news is positive or critical, so we can make the necessary ... More