American Heart Association Reviews | Glassdoor

American Heart Association CEO Nancy A. Brown
Nancy A. Brown

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • AHA always speaks about work-life balance, but it needs to be across the board (in 57 reviews)

• No work-life balance, micro-managed, (in 17 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to learn"

I worked at American Heart Association (More than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunity to have a lot of responsibility and access to high-level volunteers. Promotions from within are common. Get to work on high profile campaigns.

Cons

You have to be invested personally. To succeed it's not just a job, it's your whole life. Out of town travel is frequent and in-town driving in your own car can rack up a lot of miles. Weekend and evening events are frequent.

Advice to Management

Think about the long term. Stewardship of donors is lacking.

American Heart Association Response

Sep 12, 2016 – The AHA Talent Acquisition and Employment Branding Team

You have provided some valuable insights about working at the AHA, thank you so much! We want employees to be invested and to be proud of the work they do, but we also want them to have a life... More

"Good company to work for"

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Seattle, WA

Pros

Great work life balance for coordinator position
    week off for Holiday break

Cons

Needs a better communications for Affiliate news.

Advice to Management

Needs to have realistic goals for fundraising

3. "Challenging and Rewarding"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

Very fast paced
    Strong Mission focus
    Dedicated staff

Cons

Can burn out those who are not accoustomed to the pace

"Awesome Benefits"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Co-workers are like family, work/life balance, great insurance, PTO, etc.

Cons

flexibility to move up within organization can be slim.

Advice to Management

make a connection - show your strengths

5. "Love my job here!"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Nashville, TN

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work schedules, excellent internal customer service, competitive pay, supportive supervisors

Cons

None so far! (Year and counting)

Advice to Management

Continue treating your employees well and keep up the great work!

"Lots of opportunity for talented people"

Current Employee - Affiliate Fundraising Staff in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Affiliate Fundraising Staff in Dallas, TX

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time

Pros

Salary and benefits are great; rewards and advancement are there for people that know how to acccomplish goals and work well with others; wonderful, dedicated staff and volunteers; a compelling mission; leaders that care about the staff and the mission; flexibility for staff in hours and location if the person performs well

Cons

There are some former staff members that are writing on this site. Some people think that working for a nonprofit means relatively easy work. That is not true. When people find that a job is not for them, they should exit, but not bash the company. That is not good for them or for others. No one workplace fits all types of people, and unfortunately, there will sometimes be managers we don;t work well with. There are many happy people here that love working for the AHA. The AHA is in the top echelon of Non-Profits to Work For according to Non-Profit Times and as judged by current employees every year. Employee Engagement survey results are excellent. Check these out for a more complete perspective.

"I have built a strong and fulfilling career with the AHA!"

Current Employee - Fundraising Director in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Fundraising Director in Austin, TX

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have had a great experience and have been able to move up the ranks and build a strong career at the AHA. I have had years when i have not made my goal, and my manager helped me build a strong plan to overcome challenges and get to goal the next year. I love that I am constantly building new skills - from working with CEO's, to motivating volunteers and donors, to seeing the amazing research and systems change that we are doing. Every day is different and challenges me in a new way to keep my skills sharp and me interested!

Cons

If you do not know how to recruit, mobilize, and work with high level volunteers it is very difficult work. I would not recommend this organization for anyone that is not comfortable working through people (volunteers) to accomplish big goals. That is when you end up working 50+ hours a week and not meeting goals.

Advice to Management

Be transparent with the decisions you make so that employees at all levels understand why we do things in certain ways.

8. "Best place for a rewarding career!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at American Heart Association full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have worked for the AHA for many years and have always been challenged and felt like my work contributed to the betterment of society. I have always been impressed with the commitment to the mission by the organization, staff and volunteers.

Cons

As with any non-profit, there is always more work to be done then there is resources to accomplish the work but the AHA values its employees. The employee is in the drivers seat of determining their own appropriate work life balance.

"American Heart Association is a good place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

The AHA is a great place to work. It has excellent benefits and allows for career advancement. Working at the AHA allows you to work with passionate volunteers, and you know you are making a difference daily. The AHA provides great resources and tools that allow you to be successful in your job. Upper management cares about the staff and our important life-saving mission.

Cons

American Heart Association consistently receives an award for being among the “Best NonProfits to Work For”. This is an impressive award. Be mindful that the negative comments you read on this site are from disgruntled staff.

"Only good things to say"

I worked at American Heart Association full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great, hard-working, professional team, flexible working hours and work from home situation, best retirement benefit you can possibly get.

Cons

Working with limited resources--mostly number of staff, realizing management is sometimes inconsistent with where money is spent, not wanting to go out and aggressively recruit great talent.

Advice to Management

Although I have only good things to say, my advice to improve would be to make sure that you have hired enough people, so that one or two employees on a team aren't bearing the brunt of the workload. Also allow these employees the time to share knowledge and skills among multiple people on the team so that if someone goes on leave or ends up leaving the company for whatever reason, a gap doesn't open up.